Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 17, 2021, 06:06:45 PM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . Desert Tech . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Rimfire Bullpups
| |-+  Ruger 1022 Bullpups
| | |-+  HTA 90/22 (Moderator: Plinker)
| | | |-+  Two more bullpups to the forum
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Two more bullpups to the forum  (Read 5381 times)
Mike -

« on: November 29, 2015, 08:35:05 PM »

Hey all.  New to the sight, but not new to short rifles.

My first bullpup was an AUG from WAY back.  I bought one of the first 50 that originally came into California.  Before they started calling them Generation I.

Then years later, at one of the now defunct SoCal gun shows, I met a guy that was doing wood bullpup stocks for the 10/22.  I asked if he would mind doing a different style than what he was doing.  
He said sure... He is Matt, owner of Ironwood Designs.

I traced the AUG stock into a large piece of paper, added some dimensions and also sent him a different design for the scope mount because I didn't care for his design.

A few weeks later, he sent me a VERY nicely done...Steyr AUG/Mannlicher combination stock.  I had to do some fitting to clearance the barrel, but what fun to shoot.  Right now the mechanical part of the gun is all stock. But I recently bought trigger parts and a new heavy tapered barrel.  The barrel should be here Tuesday or Wednesday, this next week, the trigger parts are in hand.

Now...I also received an HTA stock.  Just waiting till this Wednesday to be able to pick the rifle up.
New bull barrel, some trigger goodies, scope...looking forward to some work on both of them.

Mike

P.s. - sorry, no current pictures.  No way to post any right now either.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 01:14:29 AM by Mike - » Logged
HighTowerArmory

« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2015, 09:26:33 PM »

Thanks so much for your business Mike! We really appreciate it! Hoping your build turns out the way you want it to and if for whatever reason you need our assistance, we're here to help! Thanks again for your purchase and please keep us all updated with how the build goes! It's fun to see our products in the field! Safe shooting,

Andy and the team at HTA
Plinker
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2015, 10:32:42 PM »

Welcome top the forum, Mike - !

Sounds like you have lots of fun in store for you.

The next time you think everyone should be equal in outcome, read Kurt Vonnegut's "Harrison Bergeron".  If you don't fear that kind of world, please don't vote.
Mike -

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2015, 01:31:49 AM »

Hey Andy -

Great dealing with you on the stock and I'm still waiting on your barrels to get manufactured..!

As I noted to Andy and some of you already know, his work is first class.  I was pleasantly surprised to see HTA's first class workmanship.  Especially after reading about and seeing some of the other offerings for the Ruger.  HTA's fit and finish are to be commended.  Not sure it's seen by all.
A coupla years back, I thought the "Zombie Killer" stock would be a cool thing to have.  But after reading about all of the delays and some complaints...I was put off of them.  Even though I guess they "may be" shipping now, I'm still not sold as to the quality.

Originally this stock was to be for a friend for Christmas, but after getting it in hand, I decided to hang onto to it and now I need to figure out something else for my friend..!  
I went out and bought a new Ruger, did a LOT of reading on all of the accessories made for the 10/22's, and ordered appropriately.
I just hope I picked the "right stuff" to make this a nice shooter.  The finish will be one of HTA's bull barrels.
Funny how doing this new setup is also upgrading my old AUG/22.

Mike

P.s. - I see most everyone has used the "red dot" sight.  I decided to try an actual scope. (should be here tomorrow)  The Nikon "Rim Fire" 2x scope.  I'll see how it looks and works, go from there.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 01:50:22 AM by Mike - » Logged
Mike -

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2015, 04:44:19 PM »

Got the Kidd "Trigger Kit" installed easy enough.  Now it's out to the garage to install the new firing pin and extractor into the bolt.

Question -

During the "playing/learning" part of my rebuild, I noticed that the movement of the bolt in the receiver was very gritty/rough.  I was going to polish both the bolt and receiver but was a little concerned with the bolt "location" within the receiver.  If I remove too much material, the alignment may be compromised.
It seems that just polishing the bolt pads did the trick.  Without oil or grease, and with some pressure on the bolt into the receiver, the smoothing, polishing of the bolt "rub pads" (don't know the proper term), seemed to do the trick, nice and smooth.

This one's for the HTA stock.

Next is the rebuild of my AUG/Mannlicher 22 with the same goodies.

Mike
HighTowerArmory

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2015, 04:08:00 PM »

Hey Mike!

Ya that's a common problem on many late model 10/22's. 2 of the last 4 10/22's I've purchased have had that gritty, sand-in-the-action feel. It seems like there is a lot of over spray from the finishing process that might be causing this. I just run some polishing compound on the high wear areas and that usually takes care of it. Let me know if you have any questions and thanks again!

Andy and the team at HTA
Mike -

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2015, 06:47:59 PM »

No, not paint, just a HEAVY shot blast (bare) surface.  Looks like course beach sand.  As noted earlier, smoothing the bearing surfaces on the top of the bolt and breaking the sharp edges, made a very nice change to the feel of the bolt movement.

Anyway, got the High Tower package done.  Got the trigger parts together, got the receiver into the stock.  Everything fits well.  Very nicely designed.  A coupla small things I may play with in the future, but I need to shoot it some to see how the existing parts work together.
I ended up with a different but much the same scope, it's a Leapers Inc., 3-12x44, Compact.  That ISN'T...really very compact !  It sits about the center of the rail.
Although, it really doesn't look that bad sitting there.  A little on the heavy side, but still comfortable.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
On to my old...AUG/Mannlicher - 22.
On one hand, the difference between the old and new receiver assembly is huge, like night and day.  I do not recall when I bought this 10/22, but it's gotta be in the 1982/1985 time frame.
The bolt is machined on all surfaces, not a cheap casting with mismatched cores like the new gun.  One big difference is that where the bolt contacts the receiver (upper area) there is full, 100% contact, not four small pads like the new gun.
While I did buy a fancy firing pin/extractor kit, I think I might leave the stock firing pin in the bolt, though I will swap the extractor.

The receiver is the same way, machined on all surfaces.  The inside, upper area where the bolt rides is also fully machined, smooth, clean, free of any crap.

The trigger is in an aluminum housing.  Though the trigger doesn't feel that bad in my hand, I will put the Kidd trigger parts in this one too.  And because of the receiver being way up in the stock, I did buy an extended magazine release. 
The new 17" heavy tapered barrel I bought messes with the scope mount badly.  On the stock barrel, I have a custom scope mount that Matt (Ironwood Designs) made for me.  It clamps to the barrel.  The new diameter is much larger on the heavy tapered barrel.  Looks like I'll have to put together a long rail bolted to the receiver, then an extended scope mount to get the scope to where the eye relief needs to be.  Bit of a diving board...but...
The new barrel is an inch shorter also (was planned !).  This brings the overall length to 16.19" long...JUST passes.  Gotta shorten the stock about 3/4" now too.

Speaking of the barrel, one bad thing, is the barrel fell out of the receiver when I removed the "V" block..!  The new Green Mountain barrel went in the same way, loose...  Not sure what to do there.  The only things I can think of may compromise the barrel.  Don't think adding paint or something like that will last..!

Any ideas ?

Off to reworking the old trigger box with new parts...

Mike
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length