Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 17, 2021, 05:19:11 PM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . Desert Tech . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  IWI TAVOR
| | |-+  IWI Tavor SAR & X-95
| | | |-+  Tavor forward assist (discussion split from another topic)
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Tavor forward assist (discussion split from another topic)  (Read 38513 times)
Gear Head
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« on: June 25, 2015, 07:06:30 PM »

I have beaten many AR15 shooters in mag change speed. Some have been posted on Youtube as well as how I did it.

My Tavor has a forward assist.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 06:45:45 AM by Sgt_P » Logged

The second Amendment is the last line of defense for the 1st.

Gear Head Works' products are leading the way in innovative designs. Click the globe icon below my Avatar to visit www.gearheadworks.com
Gear Head
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2015, 07:34:59 PM »

I'm listening...

censored Wink

Gear Head Works' products are leading the way in innovative designs. Click the globe icon below my Avatar to visit www.gearheadworks.com
freefallindan
^

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2015, 08:17:40 PM »

This thread just got interesting....!
Kevlar

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2015, 08:25:17 PM »

Sgt. P.  -   Grin

Now back to business,  FA?

Someone make him talk!
Gear Head
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2015, 08:30:56 PM »

Now you guys realize why I've been so quiet on here for a while now.  Grin

TNC
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2015, 11:16:22 PM »

I have beaten many AR15 shooters in mag change speed. Some have been posted on Youtube as well as how I did it.

This guy is a loon but at least it can be called entertainment and distract us from the real world for a moment.

Well, obviously the circus is over now, but on your point about the reload/mag change on the Tavor is dead bang...entertaining video BTW.  Anyone who's really performed such with a Tavor and an AR will realize how well thought out a Tavor mag change can be.  This was the one area where the two instructors in that 2-day class I attended last week were actually impressed.  An AR mag change can be performed pretty darned quickly with enough training.  The Tavor just has a couple of its reload elements in a little better location.

And about the Tavor FA you speak of... Grin
Gear Head
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2015, 11:51:32 PM »

There has been a photo leaked accidentally by someone that has one. But I'm not telling who or where...

BullpupT
Bullpup Fanatic

AF&AM 02

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2015, 07:04:24 AM »

There has been a photo leaked accidentally by someone that has one. But I'm not telling who or where...

Please do tell about the FA on your Tavor. I have been trying to think up a way to mount a FA without major modification.
Tj7

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2015, 08:50:55 AM »

I searched likely places on the Internet for this leaked photo to no avail! Cry I can't wait to see this.

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of happiness, are the essential principles of a free society. There is no substitute, or partial acceptance. -TJ
freefallindan
^

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2015, 09:12:45 AM »

I'm sure GH is waiting until his product is GTG before making the formal announcement, so we're on our own to speculate while he sits back and enjoys the show. And if there's a leaked picture floating out there in the darkweb, that means he's been field testing it out there below our very nose.  clever!

But speculate I will!  Five directions you can initiate a fwd assist from.  The side, like an AR; the top (no-go because of gas/optics); the bottom (unlikely because of all the other hardware already there); the front... plausible with some kind of single/dual charging-rod mech; or the back... quite possible if you can provide access directly to the rear of the BCG without interfering with the shooter's shouldering

go!
Kevlar

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2015, 11:05:36 AM »

If someone finds the leaked photo please share
RadScorpius
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2015, 01:05:48 PM »

I'm not sure why everyone are so fired up about a forward assist, it jams a jammed round further.
jdwboy

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2015, 01:39:27 PM »

The original M16 had no forward assist.  The reason they decided they needed one was :

A. wrong powder in ammo causing too much dirt.

B.  Barrel and chamber not chrome lined and in the humid environs of South VietNam there was a lot of corrosion which hindered chambering.

obviously with a piston driven action, chrome line barrel and good ammo, IWI, I'm sure after plenty of testing, decided it was like nipples on a boar hog.

TNC
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2015, 02:01:14 PM »

I'm not sure why everyone are so fired up about a forward assist, it jams a jammed round further.

Your point is correct in regards to a "jammed" or otherwise snafu'd cartridge.  I think most of us in this case are referring to the press check or accidentally riding the charging handle where the bolt doesn't go into battery.  After using this rifle in a class where you're wearing body armor and have a 2-point sling, one "can" fumble the charging handle or have it drag back against something you're wearing to where a perfectly good cartridge is now not in battery...and you know why it's not in battery.  One can also bump the charging handle on cover or such do the same thing...knock the bolt out of battery.  These are extreme conditions of course, and something not normally found to occur in recreational shooting.  But in the cases where it can...and you know why the bolt and cartridge are not in battery due to an identifiable instance...then an FA is a nice feature.  I have no qualified specifics to back this up, but I would almost bet that a soldier somewhere, sometime may have saved his life with a FA.  But you're right also in that people can make a malfunction worse by improperly using the FA. 
Tex78

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2015, 05:07:55 PM »

After seeing my one and only malfunction with a Tavor go from bad to worse due to no FA, I would disagree.

Sure a Forward Assist, like a ejection seat or a fire extinguisher can be used improperly, but I'd rather have it than not. (Well maybe an ejection seat in my truck wouldn't be a good idea, but you get my drift)

ETA: I used to be one of those that didn't see the need for a FA on an AR15 either, years back.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 05:10:48 PM by Tex78 » Logged
larryz

« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2015, 06:37:02 AM »

Five directions you can initiate a fwd assist from.  The side, like an AR; the top (no-go because of gas/optics); the bottom (unlikely because of all the other hardware already there); the front... plausible with some kind of single/dual charging-rod mech; or the back... quite possible if you can provide access directly to the rear of the BCG without interfering with the shooter's shouldering

go!

I'm guessing that any mod that breaches the polymer frame would void your IWI warranty.

WLJ

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2015, 09:04:14 AM »

How about hard attaching the charging rod to the bolt in some way? Detachable for cleaning of course. Would thus making the charging handle reciprocating be a problem? Just something that just now popped into my head, haven't looked into what may be involved.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 09:30:59 AM by WLJ » Logged
TNC
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2015, 10:28:04 AM »

How about hard attaching the charging rod to the bolt in some way? Detachable for cleaning of course. Would thus making the charging handle reciprocating be a problem? Just something that just now popped into my head, haven't looked into what may be involved.

Making the Tavor or an AUG charging handle reciprocating might be death on many of its combat application benefits.  IMO you need to be able to disregard the CH to some degree when shooting from cover where you have the rifle stock braced or rested against something...like the edge of a building, a tree, a doorway, etc.  Yes, you can knock the Tavor out of battery by accidentally banging or pushing the CH while bracing the rifle against cover but having that CH flying back and forth up on the end of the handguard seems counterproductive just to obtain an FA by that method.  Most combat style rifles that I've seen with a reciprocating CH seem to have it in a less obtrusive location where it's less likely to come in contact with the shooter's hand or objects during bracing and firing.
WLJ

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2015, 10:47:03 AM »

I agree, I should have made it clear that in no way shape or form have I seen a real need to actually have a FA on the Tavor. Seems like the IDF would have seen the need years ago  and the Tavor has been in service how long now?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 03:53:57 PM by WLJ » Logged
pilot4prophet

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2015, 08:15:18 PM »

Easiest implementation of the FA would be the off-side port cover. Saw a photo on face-book of some milling being done to the bolt carrier of a tavor, so I guess that's whats going on there. Not a drop in mod then.

P4P
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length