Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 10, 2018, 01:18:29 PM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  IWI TAVOR
| | |-+  IWI Tavor SAR & X-95
| | | |-+  Tavor forward assist (discussion split from another topic)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Tavor forward assist (discussion split from another topic)  (Read 24413 times)
boscoman

« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2015, 09:27:34 PM »

I agree, I should have made it clear that in no way shape or form have I seen a real need to actually have a FA on the Tavor. Seems like the IDF would have seen the need years ago  and the Tavor has been in service how long now?

I have to agree with you on this. If there was a need for a FA, I think IWI & the IDF would have done it years ago. I have close to 10K rounds through my tavor & have never felt or found a need for one.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 09:30:53 PM by boscoman » Logged

"Good people sleep peacefully in their beds at night, only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

Courage is not a lack of fear, but one's ability to overcome it
RadScorpius
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2015, 01:15:46 AM »

I agree, I should have made it clear that in no way shape or form have I seen a real need to actually have a FA on the Tavor. Seems like the IDF would have seen the need years ago  and the Tavor has been in service how long now?

I have to agree with you on this. If there was a need for a FA, I think IWI & the IDF would have done it years ago. I have close to 10K rounds through my tavor & have never felt or found a need for one.

How does the bore/grouping look at that round count?
boscoman

« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2015, 09:10:49 PM »

How does the bore/grouping look at that round count?[/quote]

The same as when I first purchased the rifle I'm happy to say.
 In August another 1500 rounds will be used at a Magpul Carbine class.

"Good people sleep peacefully in their beds at night, only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

RadScorpius
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2015, 01:21:59 AM »

How does the bore/grouping look at that round count?

The same as when I first purchased the rifle I'm happy to say.
 In August another 1500 rounds will be used at a Magpul Carbine class.
[/quote]

Nice, good to know that cold hammer forging and chroming can make a long lasting 5.56x45 barrel too.
NWGlocker

« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2015, 09:36:33 AM »

There has been a photo leaked accidentally by someone that has one. But I'm not telling who or where...

I remember that photo! Have to say it looks really promising. Now I have to go back to that site to see if it's still there...

...yup, still there. Wink
twpayne75

« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2015, 11:49:45 AM »

I have a picture of it saved. It is still posted in a very public place.

But I assume it they want it posted here they will do it.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 11:54:54 AM by twpayne75 » Logged
BullpupT
Bullpup Fanatic

AF&AM 02

« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2015, 01:08:03 PM »

I have a picture of it saved. It is still posted in a very public place.

But I assume it they want it posted here they will do it.

I haven't been able to find it. Can you please PM with the picture. I am dying to see how it looks.
Gear Head
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2015, 04:17:21 PM »

If you have seen the photo you know it is part of something cool but isn't finished. So let's not ruin the surprise for everyone please.

The second Amendment is the last line of defense for the 1st.

Gear Head Works' products are leading the way in innovative designs. Click the globe icon below my Avatar to visit www.gearheadworks.com
Darkamek

« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2015, 06:59:46 PM »

If you look hard enough you can find it. It took me a while but I found it.
brodband

« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2015, 08:20:21 PM »

I found the picture where you were milling into the carrier, but is there more pics out there?
ryokox3

« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2015, 08:00:54 PM »

Maybe I'm missing something. I intentionally pulled back the charging handle to make it out of battery. Then I hit the back of the charging handle and it went back into battery.
freefallindan
^

« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2015, 08:17:53 PM »

The spring is what puts it back in battery.  It's a pretty strong spring.  Try riding the bolt home slowly, it will leave a visible gap that you can see through the ejection port.

What you feel you're pushing against is a piece of the barrel near the front of the rifle that the charging handle levers against when you press it all the way forward
onetwentyish

« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2015, 01:24:13 AM »

Blowndeadline Customs.... Bobafet... GHW. Tavor Owners Group on facebook....
larryz

« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2015, 10:59:18 AM »

Nice.

Apache
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2015, 11:58:21 AM »

I was just thinking that for thirty years I've shot AR's, AK's, HK's and tons of other weapons, not once have I ever needed to use a forward assist. I must be doing something wrong ...

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
Sine Missione
brodband

« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2015, 12:30:47 PM »

Shoot suppressed 90 percent of the time and it will get dirty enough to want/need one, trust me.
Ded-Eye0311

Infantry Rifleman

« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2015, 03:00:36 PM »

I just want to clarify what a forward assist used properly does. I carry an M16a4 on a daily basis. In sandy environments and dusty areas where you really don't want lubrication all over your action as it just attracts dust, dirt, and sand and creates a nice sludge in your action we typically run our rifles dry. The forward assist helps a sluggish action. Lets say you insert a magazine and rack the charging handle back and the action sticks before properly engaging the locking lugs you would then tap the forward assist to help fully lock the lugs in place. It is not intended to fix jams or jam anything further. I'm assuming we know the difference in a dirty or sluggish action and a true jam. In a true jam you would perform immediate action (tap the magazine, rack the bolt, and attempt to fire) not smack your forward assist and possibly make the problem worse as in a double feed or brass over bolt. If immediate action does not work then remedial action is needed. The FA just provides a quick fix when your round does not seat fully due to sluggish action or extreme carbon build up in your chamber. I hope this is not beating a dead horse or missing the point entirely. I feel knowing how to clear a jam and knowing the correct way to perform immediate action and remedial action with your specific weapon system eliminates the need for a forward assist in a tavor. Of course your specific situation would dictate the merits of a forward assist. Maybe you shoot a ton or run your weapon suppressed or maybe even carry your tavor as a duty weapon then I could see why you would want one. Just my humble two cents.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 03:09:47 PM by Ded-Eye0311 » Logged

0311: To locate, close with, and destroy the enemy by fire or maneuver or to repel the enemy assault by fire or close combat.
Kevlar

« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2015, 04:32:15 PM »

Agree with Ded eye

Have I used a FA on an AR platform?  Yes, in Iraq.  Same as the above mentioned.

Have I found a need for FA with the Tavor?  Not yet.  Exception being as a possible solution during a press check to ensure bolt is forward.  But, I just changed how I confirm a round in the chamber.  But I can see the potential value in a FA.

Couple things

I think it is awesome people come up with add ons and such for our Tavors.  Keep up the good work Gearhead, Manticore, MI, and others. Even if some don't see a need.  If everything depended on a "need" would we have half of what we own?  Smiley

That AR in Bobafet pattern camo made me smile
TNC
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2015, 05:00:13 PM »

Good assessment on the FA, deadeye...especially as it applies to an AR.  I think the same can apply to a Tavor if shot enough or not cleaned soon enough...even with the Tavor not being direct impingement.  The other thing that can really benefit a Tavor IMO is where you use a Tavor in a combat/tactical scenario like in a tactical class or some SHTF apocalypse.  You bump that charging handle just a tiny bit against cover, drag the sling across it, or anything that bumps the CH, and you're out of business until you stroke the CH hard enough to put the bolt back in battery.  This is where Steyr has a small leg-up for that scenario.  The AUG CH will act as a FA and put the bolt back in battery.  

I've seen the comment about the IDF not needing a FA, so therefore other shooters don't need one.  Frankly, I'm surprised that a true battle rifle with a forward mounted, exposed CH doesn't have a FA.  Bumping that CH would be so easy to do in a go-all-to-heck war zone or battle environment.  When I used my Tavor in a recent 2-day tactical school, when we shot in cover situations through and around obstacles, I had to keep a close eye on where and how I moved that left side of my rifle.  Not the end of the world as long as you pay attention, but I think Gearhead's pursuit of a good FA is worth the effort.  Are we absolutely, positively sure that the real IDF model assigned to the field doesn't have some form of FA...or at least something that serves as such?  I can easily see an IDF guy in a crowded urban setting or clearing a building in a scenario where stealth/quiet is critical.  He gently bumps his CH on something in the dark and doesn't want or can't make the noise necessary to go back into battery with the CH.  That would suck somewhat.  Strictly recreational or bench shooters will probably never have a concern over this.  And trust me...I'm no IDF special operator...LOL!  Still...Steyr was probably wise to allow the CH to serve double duty as a FA.
boscoman

« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2015, 06:51:46 PM »

The IDF models except for being select fire are no different than what we have, & no they do not have a forward assist.
As to needing one when the rifle gets dirty, the Tavor requires a bare minimum of lubrication and is pretty much designed for sandy environments. Not sure the same can be said for the AR/M16 platform.
For what it is worth, in my last carbine class at Academi, I never cleaned or lubricated the rifle. We also spent a number of hours in the pouring rain shooting allowing the carbon to get rather thick in the rifle. I never had a single issue in close to 2500 plus rounds & with full kit never had an issue with the charging handle getting hit & knocking the rifle out of battery. That's not to say it can't happen, but I've never heard of it happening including from my friends in the IDF that use the rifle.
That being said, if someone makes one & puts it on the market, well that's the joy of the hobby. Always something out there to add to one's toys. I just know it will not be anything that I will be adding to my 5.56 or 9mm Tavor, anymore than I would add one to my Galils, Garand, or M1A1.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length