Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 17, 2021, 05:30:34 PM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . Desert Tech . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Rimfire Bullpups
| |-+  Ruger 1022 Bullpups
| | |-+  HTA 90/22 (Moderator: Plinker)
| | | |-+  HTA 90/22! Oversized Charging Handle Problems on 10/22!
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: HTA 90/22! Oversized Charging Handle Problems on 10/22!  (Read 2925 times)
Blackbeard1718

« on: February 18, 2015, 05:09:10 PM »

FYI, this is NOT in reference to ANY problems with the HTA 90/22.  This is a Problem I CREATED on my 10/22!

Anyway.....

While I waited for my HTA 90/22 Kit to arrive, I made some Mods to my Ruger 10/22, like I usually do on my 10/22 Kits.  I Upgraded the Bolt with a Volquartsen SureStrike Firing Pin & Exact Edge Extractor, Kidd Hammer & Trigger Kit, and Kidd Charging Guide Rod & Spring, with Oversized Charging Handle.

The first Range Trip with the 90/22 started off Bad, due to Bad Ammo (Fed & Rem) in the first couple of BX25 Mags.  The third through sixth BX25 Mags ran GREAT with No Ammo Problems at all.  However, I did have a recurring problem when I got to the sixth BX25 Mag, with the Bolt Sticking Back, and not closing, unless I manually pushed the 10/22's Charging Handle.

I removed the Mag, Cleared the Chamber, placed Both Safeties On, and took a close look at the Charging Handle on the 10/22, "NOT" on the 90/22.  I racked the Charging Handle back a few times, and each time, it Hung Up at the rear, but did not Lock Up.  If I pushed the Charging Handle Forward, it would Free Up and Close the Bolt.  I noticed a wear pattern on the 90/22's Plastic Piece that goes over the Ejection Port.

Here's a pic of the same type Kidd Charging Handle I have on my 90/22:

It's Larger & Round, unlike the Factory Stock Charging Handle that the 10/22's typically come with.  Mine was catching on the bottom of the Plastic Ejection Port Piece on the 90/22.  I opened up the 90/22, removed the Plastic Ejection Port Piece, and used a Dremel to shave off a bit where the Charging Handle was catching.  Once it was clear of any contact with the Charging Handle, I Reassembled the 90/22, and tried the 10/22's Charging Handle several times, then again several more times with the 90/22's Charging Handle.  Worked Perfect with no Rubbing or Catching problems.

Last Thursday's Range Trip was a success!  150 Rounds Loaded..... 150 Rounds Fired with ZERO Problems!

FYI, I had originally added the Oversized Charging Handle, because it was similar to the Larger Tactical Charging Handles I have on my 90/22, and looked like it was part of the Gun.

So..... if you're going to add a Larger Charging Handle to your 10/22-90/22 Kit, you'll need to Modify the Plastic Ejection Port Piece at the bottom, where the bottom of the Knob makes contact, with a Small Dremel Bit.  Takes a few minutes.

Or..... you can leave it Stock with the Curved Charging Handle, and not have to worry about it!   Wink

Best of Luck!

Cheers!

BB

"The Floggings will continue, until Morale improves!"
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length