Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 26, 2021, 12:37:53 PM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . Desert Tech . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Rimfire Bullpups
| |-+  Ruger 1022 Bullpups
| | |-+  HTA 90/22 (Moderator: Plinker)
| | | |-+  My 90/22 Build
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: My 90/22 Build  (Read 6444 times)
Ecko

« on: July 18, 2014, 08:52:38 AM »

Hi everyone

I live in New Zealand, currently travelling in the US. Whilst being here I've ordered a whole lot of stuff for a 90/22 build to take home with me (much cheaper than shipping it all!). It'll be my first bullpup, and first semi-auto. I'll be buying the rifle back in NZ.

The goal of the gun is a compact, accurate, and reliable rifle to shoot subsonics at ranges of up to 100 yards for rabbits, NZ possums, and plinking, however it will primarily be a hunting rifle.

I have ordered the High Tower Armory 90/22 kit, in 'Olive Drab' (sample picture below)

In addition to polishing bits and chamfering the bolt I've bought a few other "upgrades" to take home as well:

Whistle Pig 22" fluted bull barrel, matte black
Volquartsen Target Hammer to lighten trigger pull
Volquartsen Surestrike Firing Pin
Volquartsen Exact Edge extractor (hopefully increasing reliability to cycle with subs)
Volquartsen Recoil Buffer
Kidd Innovations Guide Rod (with different weighted springs)
High Tower Armory Magazine couplers
3x Genuine Ruger 10rd mags (assuming rifle will come with 4th)

Olive Drab 42" Rifle Case to match the rifle! Only $30US!

With an 18" 10/22 barrel the rifle will only be 26" long, falling short of the (NZ) legal OAL requirement of 30", hence purchasing a 22" barrel while I'm here. Whistle Pig has great reviews around the various forums, is light (for hunting), but more importantly was one of the few 22" barrel suppliers I could find!

Any tips, advice, etc. is greatly appreciated!

Cheers
Ecko
lawboy

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 04:57:15 PM »

Sounds great. Might I suggest getting the aluminum upgraded weave side rails?  In NZ, you can hunt at night, which means you will be using a weaponlight and maybe a laser or IR illuminator for night vision.  The aluminum rails are stronger and more precise. I have both sets and the AL rails are worth the extra money for a gun that will be used in the field as opposed to just on the range.
Ecko

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 05:34:08 PM »

Interesting - I always figured that the rails would be much of a muchness. How would one notice a difference? I was planning to mount a torch to each side of the rifle (one red beam, one white beam).

Cheers
Ecko
lawboy

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 01:29:09 PM »

The standard rails are nice, don't get me wrong.  But the aluminum rails are nicer, stronger, and include the QD swivel attachment points.  If you are going to do it, do it right the first time!  Wink
Ecko

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2014, 10:14:49 AM »

Thanks - just went to order and realized that they wouldn't arrive before I leave! Will ship them to a business partner when they come back to the US soon
Ecko

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2014, 08:20:25 PM »

So she's put together!  Cool

I landed back home yesterday at 6:30am, had bought the 10/22 by 9:30am Smiley

Spent the rest of the day polishing the trigger up as best I could with what I had on hand but will have to buy some fine sandpapers and metal polish.

I installed:
The Volquartsen Firing Pin, Bolt Buffer, Extractor, and Match Hammer
Kidd Guide Rodd
HTA Auto Bolt Release and Extended Mag Release
Mag couplers on 4x 10rd mags (so 2 coupled mags now)

I took the Ruger barrel off as well and test fitted the Whistlepig barrel which I was expected to have to get a pro to install. But it wasn't as oversized as I thought it would be and slid in very snug with a couple of drops of gun oil so I'm thrilled to have gotten everything together and legal on my own!

The 22" Whistlepigbarrel is lighter than the factory steel Ruger barrel.

I need to get a bushing for the trigger bar so it sits closer to the Ruger trigger. I'll do that this weekend.
Like so:

The only picatinny scope rings I had on hand are cheap ones so I'll replace those down the line as well, but I've mounted the Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 on for the moment.

It's come in at 3.1kg unloaded.
I'm tossing up whether or not a red dot sight or holographic sight will work very well for spotlighting. I may buy a cheap one and trial it or see if I can find one of my old airsoft ones. If it doesn't work out I may get a 2-7 scope that is a little lighter.

At this stage, I'm thrilled with the bullpup.

Future mods will be (as I can afford them or travel to the US):
-Kidd Bolt
-Kidd Trigger group
-Upgraded optics
-Extended charging handle

I'm also happy to say that it surpasses the minimum OAL of 30" in NZ.

lawboy

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2014, 12:21:56 PM »

Sounds like a very solid build.  I also went with a whistlepig, mainly to reduce weight.
I have not regretted it. 
With the trigger, get a straight blade trigger in there. It will likely make shimming the trigger bar unnecessary, and will improve the geometry of the trigger pull. In addition, if you do not need to shim, you will not have to deal with potential trigger reset problems, which can occur if your shim does not allow enough tolerance for forward trigger movement on reset.
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length