Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 26, 2021, 02:15:14 PM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . Desert Tech . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Rimfire Bullpups
| |-+  Ruger 1022 Bullpups
| | |-+  HTA 90/22 (Moderator: Plinker)
| | | |-+  And it's here!
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: And it's here!  (Read 9239 times)
brian.z

« on: June 01, 2013, 06:48:22 PM »

I placed my order Wednesday night and had seen that others had received their orders in two days so I was hopeful it would come on Saturday (guess I need to revise my opinion of the USPS cancelling Saturday delivery).  I am working nights right now and I woke up early just in case I was right.  After getting ready I opened up the front door and my hopes were dashed; there was nothing sitting on the front porch.  I had one hope left, so I trudged down the driveway and saw a beautiful box sitting next to my mailbox (they normally leave packages on the front steps, but it was small enough that it fit well next to the mailbox).

I grabbed it, wiped the clover mites off of it and ran back up to the house.  A quick trip to the safe to grab the 10/22 I had purchased a few months ago (specifically for this stock) and I was ready

* WP_20130601_001.jpg (218.07 KB, 1278x720 - viewed 649 times.)
brian.z

« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2013, 06:59:22 PM »

The packaging was nice and easy to open.  Here is a shot of all the pieces unwrapped. 
The stock was heavier, in a very good way, than I'd imagined.  I was not heavy as in "Oh my, I can't lift it" but was substantial and did not feel flimsy in any way.  I put it up to my shoulder and it fit great and provided an amazing check weld. 
If I absolutely had to make a criticism I would say that the faux suppressor did not feel as substantial as the rest, but that is probably due to the fact that it is just a shell to go around the barrel.  It does not in anyway feel cheap and the reduction in weight to the part will probably be a good thing when at the range.  Once I get a chance to shoot I will report back if there are any problems with it.

* WP_20130601_002.jpg (204.99 KB, 1278x720 - viewed 584 times.)
brian.z

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2013, 07:23:06 PM »

The installation was... interesting.  Now I will preface this with the fact that I am a novice and have never done a kit like this.  That said the bolts for the kit are required to be installed in a relatively specific manner and this was complicated by the fact that they can be similar in size.  If I ever have to do it again I will most definitely take more care lining up the bolts and spend a little more time dividing them up into very specific piles according to length.  I don't know if there is a way for HTA to better differentiate between the lengths, but it might be something for them to look at.  Maybe individual bags with letters on them to make it obvious to even ignorant people such as myself. 

That being said the rest of the installation was pretty much a breeze.  The installation guide is very professional and of the highest quality.  Very good paper stock; not the cheap, flimsy crap paper guides I see so much of.  I am throwing up a picture of one of their suggestions from the guide.  They recommend threading the nut a little onto a bolt and using that to put the nut in place.  It was a great idea and worked wonderfully.  Without that I think I would have struggled.  Thanks Andy.  The pieces and parts fit together with no fuss.  It's a very well thought out design and their QC people must be working overtime to ensure the tolerances are as tight as they are. 

* WP_20130601_004.jpg (204.48 KB, 1278x720 - viewed 597 times.)
brian.z

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2013, 07:37:16 PM »

Last one for now, I promise.  With the assembly done I threw a 30 dollar Leapers red/green dot sight, took a step back and admired the finished product.  I cycled the bolt a few times to dry fire and test the trigger.  It seems very nice but I will write more after I get to the range in a few days and really get a feel for it. 

Overall it appears to be a high quality stock and I am happy that Andy and the team at HTA took the time and got it right.  Now I can start bugging him about the 10rd magazine coupler and extended mag release as I am a Mass resident and can't have any standard capacity magazines.   

* WP_20130601_005.jpg (223.32 KB, 1278x720 - viewed 679 times.)
kipy

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2013, 10:09:20 PM »

I just got mine assembled, took about 15 mins. I laid the screws all out by size before I started and it went super easy. I've got a 18inch bull barrel on mine so the fake suppressor doesn't fit but I think the bull barrel looks so nice I won't be using it. Gotta say this thing feels like a tank with a heavy barrel.
Plinker
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2013, 10:15:14 PM »

Man, that looks good!   cheer leader

The next time you think everyone should be equal in outcome, read Kurt Vonnegut's "Harrison Bergeron".  If you don't fear that kind of world, please don't vote.
brian.z

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2013, 06:06:36 PM »

Went to the range to day.  I was surprised at how well the 30 dollar Leaper red/green dot sight sighted in.  As far as the stock itself, it function wonderfully.  This is my first bullpup kit so I can't compare the trigger pull to others, but it was well balanced and no longer than could be expected.  The charging handle was firm, smooth and very positive.  I feel like it naturally slide back and just felt sturdy.  The faux suppressor did not hamper the performance of the firearm at all. 

The only negative thing I can say is a about the accessibility of the magazine well.  This is not a complaint on the build of the stock, it deals with the fact that I live in Massachusetts and am not allowed to have standard capacity magazines and the fact that we are early in HTA's life and they have not finished the 10rd magazine coupler and extended magazine release they will be offering later.  As it is, using the magazine release to retrieve an empty mag was not a problem as it's easy to hit the release and the stock allows the magazine to drop easily;  the problem lies in seating the magazine, which requires a little bit of a tilt and a few good pushes to ensure it is fully seated.  I did have the magazine drop out a few times due to not being full seated. 

Overall, I think I found my new favorite range gun.  The thing was just a blast to shoot.  Of course, thanks to Andy and HTA I now have to constantly be searching for .22. 

The pictures I've included are all from 50 feet.  The first one is with the firearm benched.  No problems there.  The second is 20 rounds standing, not benched.  the last is 30 rounds as fast as I could shoot.  Some work to do on the last two but as you can see from the picture where it is benched, the stock in no way affects accuracy. 

* WP_20130604_013.jpg (202.47 KB, 720x1278 - viewed 613 times.)

* WP_20130604_010.jpg (188.94 KB, 720x1278 - viewed 559 times.)

* WP_20130604_022.jpg (171.38 KB, 720x1278 - viewed 636 times.)
ToneDeath

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2013, 05:40:23 AM »

Nice group from the bench. I bet it sucks to be in a mag cap restricted state. Folks better wake up it's coming your way.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 02:53:07 PM by ToneDeath » Logged
Sgt_P
Administrator
Bullpup Fanatic

SEMPER FIDELIS

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2013, 07:55:59 AM »

Brian.Z,
Maybe a little JB Weld and a 1x1, cut to length, stuck to the bottom of some 10 rounders?!?!?

Cool

"Retreat, hell we just got here!" 
Capt L Williams, USMC, WWI (Belleau Wood)
brian.z

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2013, 09:48:39 AM »

I appreciate the advice, and it is a possibility.  As for right now it is a range gun and I don't mind a little bit of fidgeting to get the mag in.  If enough time goes by without seeing the coupler from HTA I may use your solution.   
confessor19

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2013, 01:23:59 PM »

Something like this might work for you: http://www.amazon.com/Ruger-10-Dual-Mag-Holder/dp/B000ARMBYG/ref=sr_1_68?ie=UTF8&qid=1370629320&sr=8-68&keywords=ruger+10%2F22 
HighTowerArmory

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2013, 06:33:57 PM »

Wow! Awesome job Brian! Great report and fantastic looking kit, if we do say so ourselves!  Grin We're all glad to hear it is shooting well for you and and just for you and everyone who may read this- the releases, extended bolt hold opens, and couplers are well on there way. Production will be starting soon as tooling wraps up in a few weeks. Thanks for being patient and for the great pictures! Let me know if I can do anything else for you guys! I'm here to serve!

Andy and the team at HTA
boyerbl

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2013, 09:44:44 PM »

I found on my kit that if you insert the bolts you can match them up to the proper hole. The long ones were sticking out and the too short ones weren't visable. I used a small stick with double sided tape to apply pressure on the nut while threading the bolt. Care must be taken not to cross thread the nut. Overall I am pleased with the kit. I like the charging system better than the ZK22. I think the simulated mag on top would look better removed. If HTA designed a insert to fill the mag on top I might buy it.
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length