Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2021, 04:07:04 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . Desert Tech . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  Desert Tech MDR (Moderators: kfeltenberger, Heathsrow)
| | |-+  Broken Charging Handle Still a Problem
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Broken Charging Handle Still a Problem  (Read 484 times)
Hox013

« on: September 07, 2021, 12:01:23 AM »

My MDRX came in from Xtreme guns and ammo. They were great to work with, BTW. Anyways, sure enough the left side charging handle was snapped on arrival. I've read about all the problems regarding this so, just FYI, it's still a problem apparently. Tried to switch the right side handle to the left then found out the arm for the charging handle is left and right side specific. Bummer for me as a right hand shooter. How long they taking to send replacements these days?

* 20210904_153323.jpg (7212.24 KB, 4032x3024 - viewed 85 times.)
Wolvenhaven

« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2021, 07:18:45 AM »

How long they taking to send replacements these days?

I have been getting replacement parts/turnaround on all my issues in about a month or a bit more, even when they say things like "two weeks".  So just double whatever number they give you and that's probably more right.  That being said Tyler with Warranty Support has been awesome to deal with.
kfeltenberger
Global Moderator
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2021, 08:21:31 AM »

"Still a problem"?  This is the first time I've heard that it was broken upon arrival.

Kurt
Disgruntled Bpfcom User

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2021, 10:35:37 AM »

"Still a problem"?  This is the first time I've heard that it was broken upon arrival.

Believe it.  MDRXs get shipped in soft carry bags inside their boxes now, with no insulation, and things like this appear to happen more often now.  Here's an example from a few months ago in the attached pics.

* 20210518_161307.jpg (1475.84 KB, 4032x2268 - viewed 70 times.)

* 20210518_161258.jpg (2984.8 KB, 4032x2268 - viewed 58 times.)

* 20210518_161502.jpg (2988.47 KB, 4032x2268 - viewed 71 times.)

* 20210518_161320.jpg (2690.8 KB, 4032x2268 - viewed 74 times.)
slade_w
New Posting Member

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2021, 10:47:24 PM »

Purchased mine from Xtreme Guns as well, picking up tomorrow. During the DROS, first thing I checked was the charging handles upon opening the box. My 5.56 model came with styrofoam around the handles. Owner of Xtreme Guns assured me none issue prior to purchase. Said was resolved  a few months ago, apparently not. Before purchasing from them, I'd probably call directly, so that they know you're aware of that issue, in hopes that they double check before shipping.
Hox013

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2021, 02:30:55 PM »

To follow up, my charging handle should be here Thuraday the 16th. It was actually the pivot arm that that snapped, where the bolt passes through it to secure it to the gun. I tried to move the right side handle over to the left,, and realized the pivot arm is rigr/left side specific so I wasn't able to do it. Made ma familiar with the parts though.

Email responses from DT were printed and professional. After sending them pictures, they also offered to fix or replace my upper because the broke charging handle out a small ding in the finish when it snapped. I declined, cosmetic blemish wasn't important enough to send the gun off and have it gone for who knows how long. Hardest part about installing the charging handle is just getting the roll pin through the charging handle and into the pivot arm while everything is attached to the gun. C clamp makes it pretty easy to slowly push right in though without stressing other parts.

It would be nice if they would look into different material to see if these issues can be remedied. The way it broke, I couldn't just pull the charging handle out the side and continue to run the gun. I had to pull lthe forend, the barrel, remove the roll pin from the charging hand to pivot arm connection, and pull the broken pivot arm through from the inside of the receiver, then unscrew the bolt that holds the pivot are to remove the remaining portion of the broken pivot arm. So if this had happened when you needed it, the gun would have been non functional. The broken pivot arm peices were keeping the gun from returning to battery properly consistently.

Just something to be aware of.
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length