Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 17, 2021, 05:29:18 PM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . Desert Tech . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  Steyr AUG and clones AUG icon
| | |-+  How to make the AUG lighter...
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: How to make the AUG lighter...  (Read 214 times)
tsh77769

« on: September 06, 2021, 01:17:45 AM »

One of the things I wish for the AUG is that it would be lighter.

One of the most obvious solutions would be a lighter weight barrel.

Another one might be a lighter bolt carrier assembly. This may require a different gas plug.

The last and most unlikely option would be to reduce the weight of the receiver by use of thoughtful design such as exemplified by scalarworks or the Barrett version of the 240 MG. OR the use of exotic alloys such as lithium aluminum or magnesium or scandium.

Other ideas?

tsh77769
Skinny06

« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2021, 03:41:40 PM »

I'd be interested in seeing what they weight sans rail and optic. The original 3x optic and setup likely weighed a fair few ounces, and the rails on the A3M1 are probably a considerable few ounces as well.

As for some sort of odd alloy and the like, I think heat transfer and longevity of the system might be compromised. My first area of weight reduction would be elimination of the quick change barrel and mechanism, and a vey minimalistic muzzle device. Eliminating that flange and spring/retainer setup for the barrel would probably shave quite a bit off. Couple that with a plastic front angled grip, that eliminates the folding grip and steel post (if you could shield from the gas block) there's probably 1/2lb or more right there in those few small things.
Tuvia
New Posting Member

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2021, 07:40:15 PM »

Start working out with weights. The AUG will certainly seem lighter.  Smiley
Mr.Tucker

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2021, 08:06:30 PM »

Start working out with weights. The AUG will certainly seem lighter.  Smiley

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

*puts down kettle bell, picks up AUG*
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length