Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 28, 2021, 07:12:08 PM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . Desert Tech . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  Steyr AUG and clones AUG icon
| | |-+  Mr.Tucker AUG Handguard in the wild.
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Mr.Tucker AUG Handguard in the wild.  (Read 210 times)
Jibbity

« on: July 20, 2021, 04:43:45 PM »

I got my handguard (Thanks Mr. Tucker!) installed and thought I would post a some photos and initial impressions.

Mr.Tucker was super easy to work with for the configuration and color, even allowing me to get it longer in the rear than he would prefer, so that I can play around with optic setups. Turns out that he was right, it is a bit too long and I will be trimming it down by 3 slots once I finalize my optics.

I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the machining. I did not have low expectations, but was willing to accept something more "prototype-y". Turns out that the finishing on the edges and corners was all very professional.

Installation was straightforward with the exception of my vestigial stock bump being too large. I had to shave it down a couple of mm to fit the rail. Handguard to rail is as easy as 3 MLOK screws, no problem at all. This is a really cleaver solution, IMO.

The handguard feels very solid installed. Solid enough so that I will probably not bother to machine a non-heat-conductive part to "bridge" the bottom of the handguard to the VFG mount for added stability, as I had originally planned. I will know for sure once I get it outside and can observe deflection in the front sight when resting on the handguard.

I actually have options for placement of light, and grip, and BUIS! I have options for support hand grip method and somewhere to rest my thumb that isn't a hot barrel. Now I just need to figure out which light and where. Set up as shown with what I had on hand, but I am not really committed to the WML in that location.

The only real nitpick I have is that I would prefer that it used the stock receiver mounting screw size. It mounts up solid with the screws provided, but for consistency I would like top use the OEM screws.

Anyway, feel free to hit me with questions and I am sure Mr.Tucker will chime in as well.

TLDR: Looks great, feels great! Will update when I get some rounds downrange.

* mrtucker_full_small.jpg (1337.14 KB, 4032x3024 - viewed 66 times.)

* mrtucker_right_small.jpg (777.18 KB, 4032x3024 - viewed 23 times.)

* mrtucker_left_small.jpg (683.76 KB, 4032x3024 - viewed 25 times.)

* mrtucker_front_left_small.jpg (846.88 KB, 4032x3024 - viewed 22 times.)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2021, 04:47:09 PM by Jibbity » Logged
lafrance
^

« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2021, 06:16:32 PM »

Looks great.  Anyone know the status on the ones for the A3M1.  Anything being done for the MSAR's?
Mr.Tucker

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2021, 09:50:44 PM »

A post with my name on it!!!? How could I not chime in!!

Seriously though, thanks Jibbity for the post and comments. Iíll get tooled up to make the threads M6. I chose the 10-32 since the tolerances allowed for some error if my threaded holes werenít perfectly aligned with the receiver. Once this goes into scale production on CNC machines, that will switch.

LaFrance, I met with Tn Steyr a couple weeks ago, and pulled dimensions of the A3 M1 directly. I have modeled several versions of the M1 rail, and have printed 7 test fit pieces. Iím mailing them tomorrow. If they fit, then the design can be finalized, and Iíll prototype an A3 M1 top rail. Itís taking longer than Iíd like, so I can only imagine your anticipation.

Thanks again Jibbitty! Wear some eye pro!!!
« Last Edit: July 20, 2021, 10:27:06 PM by Mr.Tucker » Logged
lafrance
^

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2021, 10:33:31 PM »

I been waiting for a Steyr Aug 300BO barrel for about as long as for the DT MDR.  Still no Aug 300BO barrel.  So waiting is not an issue.  Hope it turns out as good as the one pictured.  I've had the CQC and the BT, both to heavy IMO.
Jibbity

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2021, 01:11:36 PM »

I've had the CQC and the BT, both to heavy IMO.

My rail weighed in at 8.0oz, which will come down a bit when I cut off the last 2 slots. I think it will come down more when CNC gets involved as there are some opportunities to remove a bit more material I suspect.

I didn't get a measure on the handguard, but it is really light.

Clearly I thought I needed that rear aperture touching my cornea.  Cheesy
Jack Flag

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2021, 11:22:50 PM »

A post with my name on it!!!? How could I not chime in!!

Seriously though, thanks Jibbity for the post and comments. Iíll get tooled up to make the threads M6. I chose the 10-32 since the tolerances allowed for some error if my threaded holes werenít perfectly aligned with the receiver. Once this goes into scale production on CNC machines, that will switch.

LaFrance, I met with Tn Steyr a couple weeks ago, and pulled dimensions of the A3 M1 directly. I have modeled several versions of the M1 rail, and have printed 7 test fit pieces. Iím mailing them tomorrow. If they fit, then the design can be finalized, and Iíll prototype an A3 M1 top rail. Itís taking longer than Iíd like, so I can only imagine your anticipation.

This looks fantastic.

I too anxiously await for what you come up with for M1.

So, I haven't followed all this stuff completely. But I do hope that the rail setup would allow for suppressor use with the 16in barrel. I would mostly be using a Dead Air Sandman. So if its tuckable great, but as long as the rail area clears the shoulder of the barrel, that's great too.
Skinny06

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2021, 08:30:34 AM »

Well crap. Now I really need one of these.

Looks great!
Jibbity

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2021, 05:08:06 PM »

So, I haven't followed all this stuff completely. But I do hope that the rail setup would allow for suppressor use with the 16in barrel. I would mostly be using a Dead Air Sandman. So if its tuckable great, but as long as the rail area clears the shoulder of the barrel, that's great too.

Mine has a slim handguard, but he offered to cut one with a larger diameter. I suspect that it will not be an issue.
Jibbity

« Reply #8 on: Today at 12:47:27 PM »

*UPDATE*

I cut two slots off the rear of the rail (just as Mr.Tucker originally suggested) to get the best placement for my magnifier and BUIS. It now has 43 slots.

* cutmed.jpg (153.16 KB, 1440x1080 - viewed 6 times.)

* magmed.jpg (232.34 KB, 1440x1080 - viewed 4 times.)
« Last Edit: Today at 01:05:30 PM by Jibbity » Logged
Bark
New Posting Member

« Reply #9 on: Today at 03:32:10 PM »

Looks awesome! Personally I'm a big fan of the original SA having the angled cut, and I'm just not too much of a fan of really long rails that extend way back towards the rear. Then again, I don't mount irons on mine, so that's entirely me going with form > function, which I recognize is poor thinking.  Grin
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length