Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 14, 2021, 01:24:37 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  IWI TAVOR
| | |-+  Tavor SAR Barrel Cut - Recommended Gunsmith?
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Tavor SAR Barrel Cut - Recommended Gunsmith?  (Read 200 times)
Tactical_T

« on: June 09, 2021, 12:21:53 PM »

If anyone has had their Tavor cut down from 16.5" to 15", please advise who you shipped it to and what it cost?

So far:  SAR16 (Black) - SAR 18 (FDE) - Tavor 7 (ODG)
Quote:  Is that true, or did you hear it on CNN ?
semper paratus
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2021, 07:32:14 PM »

why just 1.5 why not down to 13?
Tactical_T

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2021, 08:45:20 PM »

why just 1.5 why not down to 13?

It's the Tavor SAR. I want to cut it down to the original 15" barrel length and permanently attach an OSS flash hider, so it will not be an SBR.

BellatorInvictus
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2021, 02:34:59 AM »

I'm a machinist and did this myself to my own SAR, as I have a lathe. I don't know who to recommend you to, but I do know who NOT to recommend you to, and that would be ADCO. They do fine with AR barrels, but I had them chop my X95 barrel down to 13" years ago when I SBR'd it, and they messed it up bad. Cut half the threads off so I couldn't get the original locknut back on there. I ended up fixing it and re-threading it myself. I put a picture of the job they did up on this site somewhere a while ago. They did offer to fix it, but I was done sending them my stuff after that and knew I could do it on my own anyway.

One word of caution--make sure the barrel is still 16.5" with the flash hider installed. Don't just think you can cut the barrel down to 15", throw on the OSS flash hider, and be good to go. Yes, 16" is the legal length for barrels, but not with the Tavor, because a 16" barrel on a Tavor would be 25.5" OAL (needs to be 26"). So you have to take that into consideration. You very well may not be able to chop your barrel down to 15"--that could put you under the 26" OAL. You have to measure exactly how long the flash hider is, and make sure you're going to hit the proper OAL once it's installed.

Or do what you want, because our founding fathers didn't ask for permission regarding the length of their weapons.

Throughout all history, there has been one class of people who have been ordinarily prohibited from bearing arms: slaves.

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?" -Stalin
Tactical_T

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2021, 04:58:08 PM »

Thanks for the measuring advice, but I did measure properly to confirm. After the cut to 15" and permanent attachment of the OSS FH and KBA shoulder ring, it will be over 26".

My local gunsmith was able to get the pins out, but had trouble getting the gas block to budge, even with heat. He thought he could get it off, but was afraid to cause damage. He recommended a gunsmith with a lathe with a larger-than-standard opening, so the gas block could be left on. I think he said 4".

A while back, I though someone on this forum mentioned a particular gunsmith that did their SAR cut down. I just couldn't find it.

BellatorInvictus
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2021, 08:31:31 PM »

Thanks for the measuring advice, but I did measure properly to confirm. After the cut to 15" and permanent attachment of the OSS FH and KBA shoulder ring, it will be over 26".

My local gunsmith was able to get the pins out, but had trouble getting the gas block to budge, even with heat. He thought he could get it off, but was afraid to cause damage. He recommended a gunsmith with a lathe with a larger-than-standard opening, so the gas block could be left on. I think he said 4".

A while back, I though someone on this forum mentioned a particular gunsmith that did their SAR cut down. I just couldn't find it.

I managed to do mine on a 7x14" mini lathe in my garage. No need to remove the gas block. Just have to have a steady rest. Any competent gunsmith/machinist can do the job.

Throughout all history, there has been one class of people who have been ordinarily prohibited from bearing arms: slaves.

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?" -Stalin
Zolkalf

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2021, 01:08:19 AM »

I used these guys to cut my X95 to 14.5 and pin and weld a OSS muzzle break. Give them a call,  I would use them again. https://www.gunsmithsofliberty.com/

Good luck
« Last Edit: June 12, 2021, 01:10:16 AM by Zolkalf » Logged

Track the liars down and then remove their crowns!
Zolkalf on PubG
Leonitus

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2021, 08:32:50 AM »

If anyone has had their Tavor cut down from 16.5" to 15", please advise who you shipped it to and what it cost?

Check with D Wilson MFG……top notch service and stellar work
Tactical_T

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2021, 08:40:24 AM »

I found another local smith that felt confident. We'll see how it turns out in 4-6 weeks. Thankfully OSS started producing flash hiders with a pin hole on the side/rear.

Leonitus

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2021, 04:47:33 PM »

Sounds like a wonderful project
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length