Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 13, 2021, 11:58:02 PM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  IWI TAVOR
| | |-+  Rail for Tavor SAR-IDF
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Rail for Tavor SAR-IDF  (Read 125 times)
NHsasquatch
New Posting Member

« on: June 05, 2021, 11:45:32 PM »

So I've recently purchased an TAVOR SAR-IDF model rifle, and I'm looking at trying to put picatinny top rail on it. The issue I'm running into is I can't find any that fit the type of configuration I want to run. I've looked at Gear Head Works TAVOR SAR SHORT RAZORBACK https ://gearheadworks.com/product/tavor-short-razorback/ and Manitcore Arms TAVOR OVERWATCH MEDIUM LENGTH TOP RAIL https ://manticorearms.com/product/tavor-overwatch-medium-length-top-rail/ and either one of those options would be ideal as I want to have a higher cheek well while running an M4/AR flip up rear iron sight along with the ability run different optics with plenty of rail space. However those both seem to have been designed with Tavor SAR Flattop in mind and not the IDF model. As stated on the website for the Gear Head Works TAVOR SAR SHORT RAZORBACK, it is not compatible with the IDF model. This reason being that the mounting for the IDF model varies from the Flattop as explained briefly in this video at between the 7:10-7:35 mark https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMhwu1TXPiY&t=881s I'm under the same assumption that the Manticore Arms Rail will have the same mounting issue. I'm currently waiting to hear back from both manufactures regarding the mounting issue and if it is just due to the IDF's gas cylinder, as it has the built in rear iron sight and magnifier/night vision mount built into it or if the issue comes down to placement for the mount (probably both issues lol).

So my series of questions are as follows:

1) Has anyone been able to configure their IDF model to run a rail similar to Gear Head Works or Manticore Arms rails?

2) Is IWI's Flattop gas cylinder interchangeable with the IDF model gas cylinder?

3) For anyone who may have their Tavor IDF configured to run such a rail, were you able use a standard flip up rear iron sight for the M4/AR and have it properly align with Tavor IDF front flip up sight properly? I'd like to run my MATECH - AR-15 USGI BACKUP IRON REAR SIGHT as a replacement to the Tavors rear sight but maintain the original front sight. https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/sights/rear-sights/ar-15-usgi-backup-iron-rear-sight-prod26575.aspx

4) Does anyone know of any Gunsmiths/ Manufactures that will build a custom rail to meet my specifications?

I appreciate any feedback and apologize if some of these questions may have been already asked on other threads, this is my first time on the forum.

Thanks.
BellatorInvictus
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2021, 02:40:06 AM »

You have two options, realistically.

1. Sell the IDF model and get a regular SAR. This will be the least headache for you, and that way you'll have the regular top rail and you can put whatever aftermarket rail you want on it.

2. Use one of these riser rails that is designed specifically for the IDF model:
https://www.bullpuparmory.com/Bullpup_Armory_GHW_Razorback_IDF_101_Rail_p/ghw-rb-idf.htm

If you remove the IDF gas block with magnifier mount and replace it with a standard gas block and rail, and mount an aftermarket BUIS, then no, it will not line up with the front sight. The flip up front sight of the IDF model is meant to line up with the flip up rear sight that is built into the IDF gas block. The integrally mounted Mepro M21 sight cowitnesses with these sights. Get a Mepro MX3 magnifier and you will have a complete IDF Tavor (if you keep it in the stock configuration).

Having a machinist design and produce a custom rail for you would be cost prohibitive. You would be able to afford multiple Tavors with the money you'd end up paying someone to design and make such a rail.

The IDF model is a collectible. My advice would be to keep it stock and enjoy it as is, or sell it. You have to appreciate it for what it is, and if you don't, let someone else. Plenty of regular SARs out there with the full top rails on them to start picking apart one of the now discontinued IDF Tavors.

Throughout all history, there has been one class of people who have been ordinarily prohibited from bearing arms: slaves.

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?" -Stalin
boscoman
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2021, 04:28:06 PM »

You have two options, realistically.

1. Sell the IDF model and get a regular SAR. This will be the least headache for you, and that way you'll have the regular top rail and you can put whatever aftermarket rail you want on it.

2. Use one of these riser rails that is designed specifically for the IDF model:
https://www.bullpuparmory.com/Bullpup_Armory_GHW_Razorback_IDF_101_Rail_p/ghw-rb-idf.htm

If you remove the IDF gas block with magnifier mount and replace it with a standard gas block and rail, and mount an aftermarket BUIS, then no, it will not line up with the front sight. The flip up front sight of the IDF model is meant to line up with the flip up rear sight that is built into the IDF gas block. The integrally mounted Mepro M21 sight cowitnesses with these sights. Get a Mepro MX3 magnifier and you will have a complete IDF Tavor (if you keep it in the stock configuration).

Having a machinist design and produce a custom rail for you would be cost prohibitive. You would be able to afford multiple Tavors with the money you'd end up paying someone to design and make such a rail.

The IDF model is a collectible. My advice would be to keep it stock and enjoy it as is, or sell it. You have to appreciate it for what it is, and if you don't, let someone else. Plenty of regular SARs out there with the full top rails on them to start picking apart one of the now discontinued IDF Tavors.

BellatorInvictus is dead on here. It is a collectable & you really don't want to ruin it. Sell or trade it for a SAR and that way you will have just what you are looking for.

"Good people sleep peacefully in their beds at night, only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

Courage is not a lack of fear, but one's ability to overcome it
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length