Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 14, 2021, 01:14:59 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . Desert Tech . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  Desert Tech MDR (Moderators: kfeltenberger, Heathsrow)
| | |-+  Ultra rare defect with gas piston happened to me - Just replaced and broke again
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Ultra rare defect with gas piston happened to me - Just replaced and broke again  (Read 848 times)
Wolvenhaven

« on: April 19, 2021, 02:09:51 PM »

My MDRx in .300blk ran great during initial break-in and with my suppressor for a few hundred rounds on S-.  Took it to the range yesterday after not shooting for a while and was having a massive number of gas related issues.  Brought the rifle home and tore it down and found my gas piston bent, mushroomed, with 4 cracks in the head.  DT's warrantee department got right back to me within minutes "Thanks for reaching out to me. I have only seen this one other time and I havenít found a permanent fix for it yet, but I am working on it. However in the meantime, I can send you a new piston."

To me it looks like it wasn't heat treated or the heat treat failed, so I've got a new piston on the way and can claim the fame of being the 2nd person to have this particular issue out of all the problems with the rifles.

Fullsize: https://i.imgur.com/ICB41mg.jpg

* IMG_20210419_125936.jpg (2145.5 KB, 4032x3024 - viewed 113 times.)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2021, 03:01:41 PM by Wolvenhaven » Logged
LazyEngineer

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2021, 02:23:02 PM »

Isn't that the part that impacts the long-stroke piston end, that's attached to the bolt?  That's got to be a high-stress part. 

Wolvenhaven

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2021, 02:24:28 PM »

Yep, and I've had about 500 rounds of mixed supers and subs through the rifle on the lowest gas settings.
haaaake

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2021, 07:14:56 PM »

Weird one. Was the piston bound up in the gas port at all or still moving freely? Just took a look at the piston on my 5.56 MDR-X with 20" barrel and around 2000rds on it and looks pretty tip stop still.

Guessing you are right with something weird happening in heat treating or something like that. Good to see that they got it sorted right away.
LazyEngineer

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2021, 01:32:18 PM »

That, or supressors just do weird stuff to pressure and force patterns.  Is the low pressure and slow initial impact of a mild .300 BO, combined with the wierd long extended duration of the suppressors elevated pressure in the port and onto the piston have a contributing factor?  Whow knows.

See!?  Another reason to hate on .300 BO.  Not only does Danger Noodle  kaboom 5.56 rifles, it also breaks MDRx Pistons!  (Which I totally made up, as I have no idea if the .300 BO caused that, but hey, it's 2021 - make up s*** to support your pre-concieved notion!  Grin)
Wolvenhaven

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2021, 02:54:32 PM »

Well everyone.  I managed to make it barely over 100 rounds this time, on S-, with a specwar 7.62 and factory ammo, before this happened.

I had just gotten the new gas piston in today, over a month after filling in the warrantee, go to test it, and now I've not only gotten a second broken piston but it destroyed my oprod too.

Oh and the fun part is, I got my SBR stamp back because I thought the micron was cool and ordered one, so I've got that going for me as well, a rifle that has broken twice in less than 800 rounds, and it's now on the registry with my name engraved on it.

* IMG_20210523_151110.jpg (1871.05 KB, 4032x3024 - viewed 28 times.)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2021, 02:56:17 PM by Wolvenhaven » Logged
Chowwow

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2021, 03:58:59 PM »

Damn. So what kind of suppressor where you using? I know you adjusted the gas setting for suppressed fire, but I feel like this platform is prone to gas issues. I'm planning on using an OSS suppressor for my set up, which is a flow-through design that lets you shoot without adjusting the gas setting. I hope using the OSS Helix would avoid issues like you are getting now.

Also, is the Micron build limited to 5.56? Can you use your .300 BLK barrel with the Micron kit?
Wolvenhaven

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2021, 05:00:44 PM »

Damn. So what kind of suppressor where you using? I know you adjusted the gas setting for suppressed fire, but I feel like this platform is prone to gas issues. I'm planning on using an OSS suppressor for my set up, which is a flow-through design that lets you shoot without adjusting the gas setting. I hope using the OSS Helix would avoid issues like you are getting now.

Also, is the Micron build limited to 5.56? Can you use your .300 BLK barrel with the Micron kit?

Silencerco Specwar 7.62 and no the Micron is the 5.56 conversion there is no .300blk for it(as well as my 300blk barrel being 16").

I had an original Tavor SAR that I put about 12k rounds of 5.56 through and about 10k rounds of .300blk through, all of it suppressed with this same suppressor, and never once had a failure or an issue.  I really regret selling my Tavor and getting the MDR at this point.  It was just really gassy, heavy, and thick; but it could at least do close to 25k rounds without an issue unlike my MDRx which has now broken on 2 of the 3 range trips it has gone on and hasn't even seen more than a few hundred rounds without a catastrophic breakage.
kfeltenberger
Global Moderator
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2021, 05:49:49 PM »

I have a 5th Gen OSS can and haven't had any issues.  I am eager to see what DT says is the problem.

Kurt
Wolvenhaven

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2021, 11:58:20 AM »

They just responded, it's getting RMAed back to them since they think it has alignment issues.
LazyEngineer

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2021, 04:27:07 PM »

Clearly something is missaligned.  I will say, while I like the MDRx, I'm not the biggest fan of their trunion design.  I think it's small, and has mounting points to the frame that are very close to each other.  Any play in that at all, is going to translate to a lot of movement and accuracy problems.   

And on that, how accurate was your rifle?
Wolvenhaven

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2021, 05:27:44 PM »

Clearly something is missaligned.  I will say, while I like the MDRx, I'm not the biggest fan of their trunion design.  I think it's small, and has mounting points to the frame that are very close to each other.  Any play in that at all, is going to translate to a lot of movement and accuracy problems.   

And on that, how accurate was your rifle?

Oh, super accurate for the shooting I was able to do at my 75ft indoor range, same hole off a bag.  Haven't stretched its legs yet, cause well, it's broken 2 out of 3 trips and hasn't even seen 1k rounds yet.

I'm actually wondering if by "alignment issues" they mean the gas block isn't on square and is insanely over-gassing the rifle so even on S- it's punching the crap out of the piston and oprod.
Wolvenhaven

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2021, 04:01:05 PM »

It's now in their hands, hopefully they can fix it and get it back to me soon.

Also hoping they'll ship my micron kit I ordered since I've got my stamp in hand for that hah.
Wolvenhaven

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2021, 04:31:38 PM »

They've had it about 10 days now, couple days after asking what's going on and still no word, hopefully they can get back to me soon and get it fixed.
Wolvenhaven

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2021, 09:04:44 AM »

Got an update email, they're getting it into the hands of their 300blk engineer to take a look at, sounds promising.
notorious_ar15
^

« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2021, 09:39:24 PM »

Got an update email, they're getting it into the hands of their 300blk engineer to take a look at, sounds promising.
Good deal man. Keep us updated. I'm sure you're not the only MDR owner on here with a non-OSS can.
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length