Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 17, 2021, 06:02:38 PM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . Desert Tech . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  Desert Tech MDR (Moderators: kfeltenberger, Heathsrow)
| | |-+  State of the MDR today? 6.5 Creedmoor subMOA on the table yet?
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] Print
Author Topic: State of the MDR today? 6.5 Creedmoor subMOA on the table yet?  (Read 8563 times)
WIndstorm

« Reply #140 on: September 05, 2021, 11:53:37 AM »

ES has not been able to get gas blocks or barrel extensions from DT.  If you can supply these parts, after market barrels can be made by capable gunsmiths.

There is the problem of not being able to get the relevant data for tolerancing, etc. Since DT is not currently selling custom barrel kits and as far as I know those are the only source of that information
FrozenIceman

« Reply #141 on: September 05, 2021, 01:18:01 PM »

As far as getting your order in this is what I did.

1.  Call ES Tactical's phone line on their website between 8 and 9 pst, (385) 238-4969.  May take a couple days to get ahold oh him.
2.  Eric should pick up, explain your need/what barrel/caliber fluting you want.
3.  Explain you have a gas block and extension
4.  Determine if you will send him the parts removed or the barrel with the ratchet and gas plug removed
5.  He will email you a paypal request for fund transfer
6.  Send barrel/parts to ES tactical
7.  Wait 4-6 weeks for your barrel
8.  For bonus points indicate you would be willing/capable to review/put out performance data, and contributed to this thread.

An aside for everyone:  barrel extension torque is 80 ft-lbs but may require a custom tool to remove (even though Eric said an AR barrel extension tool was supposed to work).

Note, I ordered mine in 308.

By the way Odin, how did your test go with the oppressor?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2021, 02:53:35 PM by FrozenIceman » Logged
spector762
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #142 on: September 05, 2021, 01:38:04 PM »

ES has not been able to get gas blocks or barrel extensions from DT.  If you can supply these parts, after market barrels can be made by capable gunsmiths.

There is the problem of not being able to get the relevant data for tolerancing, etc. Since DT is not currently selling custom barrel kits and as far as I know those are the only source of that information
I wish dt would give look into some local cnc shops in lancaster they would have part for them in days
odinforever2000

« Reply #143 on: September 05, 2021, 07:13:17 PM »

As far as getting your order in this is what I did.

1.  Call ES Tactical's phone line on their website between 8 and 9 pst, (385) 238-4969.  May take a couple days to get ahold oh him.
2.  Eric should pick up, explain your need/what barrel/caliber fluting you want.
3.  Explain you have a gas block and extension
4.  Determine if you will send him the parts removed or the barrel with the ratchet and gas plug removed
5.  He will email you a paypal request for fund transfer
6.  Send barrel/parts to ES tactical
7.  Wait 4-6 weeks for your barrel
8.  For bonus points indicate you would be willing/capable to review/put out performance data, and contributed to this thread.

An aside for everyone:  barrel extension torque is 80 ft-lbs but may require a custom tool to remove (even though Eric said an AR barrel extension tool was supposed to work).

Note, I ordered mine in 308.

By the way Odin, how did your test go with the oppressor?
Im planning on going to the range next week with some reloads..See if I can chart a difference..Been busy doing wedding stuff..Ill get to it I promise.
Thankyou for the above info

May God stand between you and harm......in all the empty places you must walk -Ancient egyptian blessing
WIndstorm

« Reply #144 on: September 06, 2021, 08:15:35 PM »

Hit the range again today, 200yd range and shot a few more accuracy groups. It didn’t particularly like Winchester Deer Season XP (125gr) with a 2.5” grouping but the grouping with the Berger’s was again 0.33 MoA (1”) and the Browning BXR Rapid Expansion  129gr was 1.2” and 1.3” (2 groups)

It seems like 129-130 gr loads with a reasonable muzzle velocity and a little bit of extra weight on the muzzle end of the barrel make the 6.5CM nicely accurate.

Picked up some Hornady Precision Hunter on the way back, so I can report on that next range trip.

Group pictures to follow when I’m feeling more human again (7 hours at the range shooting all kinds of fun stuff makes for dead tired)
FrozenIceman

« Reply #145 on: September 07, 2021, 11:11:28 AM »

Update:  I just called ES Tactical this morning at the same time as I said above, got in after one call.  Looks like this thread is taking off.  He got a bunch of MDRx barrel orders and is batch making them over the next couple weeks.  Now is a good time to order one/some.
WIndstorm

« Reply #146 on: September 07, 2021, 03:28:27 PM »

Should note that mine is the factory DT barrel, just always using an oppressor or suppressor attached, which works for me because once my can is out of jail, #NeverNotSuppressed. I have no doubt that stiffer custom barrel profiles will 100% shoot well without because of the innately dampened harmonics

I contacted Eric about a .375 Raptor barrel by email, still working out the details since I'd have to provide tooling and there is some fiddlyness with the gas port/gas block apparently. I'll be posting in the wildcat thread if a date range is nailed down for tooling, so others could piggyback that if desired.
FrozenIceman

« Reply #147 on: September 08, 2021, 01:32:45 PM »

Odin, you manage to get through to ES tactical?
odinforever2000

« Reply #148 on: September 08, 2021, 01:35:51 PM »

I haven't called, I need to get a second barrel/gasblock to donate first (I know where one is and the owner is cool).
I did let the facebook folks know ES is still doin work and what you had to do.

May God stand between you and harm......in all the empty places you must walk -Ancient egyptian blessing
FrozenIceman

« Reply #149 on: September 10, 2021, 01:44:50 PM »

Fantastic, by the way, I looked for various MDR facebook groups but couldn't find then.  Which one specifically is around?

Also at a mod:  I think this thread has kind of blown up.  We may want to think about breaking it up and stickying parts of it.

Perhaps thread 1.  Accuracy reports with the following info.  MDR/MDRx, Caliber, Barrel length, production year, ammo name, ammo velocity, group size, number of rounds per group, and image of group

Thread 1B  same as above but for reloads which include powder, load, caliber, barrel length bullet details

Thread 2:  Accuracy improvement thread.  Which include custom barrel discussion, results of muzzle devices, other techniques

Thread 3:  Image thread of our MDRx/modifications?
kfeltenberger
Global Moderator
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #150 on: September 10, 2021, 03:27:09 PM »

New threads could be opened specifically to deal with each topic...I'm not going to go through 150 posts and decide which one goes in which bucket.

Kurt
WIndstorm

« Reply #151 on: September 10, 2021, 03:44:28 PM »

New threads could be opened specifically to deal with each topic...I'm not going to go through 150 posts and decide which one goes in which bucket.

That’s fair, I wouldn’t expect you to. I think the best approach is to create a few threads along the line of the magazine reports thread.

One for factory barrels, one for custom barrels, and go from there
odinforever2000

« Reply #152 on: September 10, 2021, 03:54:59 PM »

Fantastic, by the way, I looked for various MDR facebook groups but couldn't find then.  Which one specifically is around?

Also at a mod:  I think this thread has kind of blown up.  We may want to think about breaking it up and stickying parts of it.

Perhaps thread 1.  Accuracy reports with the following info.  MDR/MDRx, Caliber, Barrel length, production year, ammo name, ammo velocity, group size, number of rounds per group, and image of group

Thread 1B  same as above but for reloads which include powder, load, caliber, barrel length bullet details

Thread 2:  Accuracy improvement thread.  Which include custom barrel discussion, results of muzzle devices, other techniques

Thread 3:  Image thread of our MDRx/modifications?
Desert Tech Mdr Owners Group

FrozenIceman

« Reply #153 on: September 10, 2021, 04:24:13 PM »

Agreed, just create the threads, sticky them, and decide on an info format.  We can do the rest.

Also thanks Odin, private group, that makes sense.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2021, 04:26:03 PM by FrozenIceman » Logged
odinforever2000

« Reply #154 on: September 11, 2021, 09:09:00 PM »

By the way Odin, any luck seeing improved accuracy or reduction in POI shift with your blast shield?

So..I think its plausible the Oppressor has a positive effect on the MDR barrel.

I didnt have alot of ammo, But I tried 15 M118LR and 10 168gr Superformance Eld.
First attempt with the Superformance was horrid (Just the Ratchet brake after zeroing with M118LR 5 rounds..and it still dropped em 6 inches low..) @ just over 6 moa.
Second Attempt with the Superformance (+ Oppressor) gave me an "ok" 2.56 moa group with 4 rounds of the group hovering right around 1moa.

First attempt with the M118LR I didn't seat the oppressor's correctly and blew it off after the first 2 shots (didn't notice till I was done shooting). Next 3rounds of the group were lower by 2 inches. Group size was about the same as average with this ammo without even with that error. (3.22 moa)
Second attempt with the M118LR did like the superformance .. 4 shots in the same area (around 1.25moa) and a 5th round that went to BFE...

Im pretty what causing my big flyers is that first round..I specifically remember hand charging the first superformance and using the bolt release on the second..

Tried my RFB (Another 308 bullpup), which doesn't have an Oppressor's mount but another blast forwarding device.. but did not do as well with a blast deflector on the end.

* MDR Superformance W-o Opressor #1.jpg (296.18 KB, 802x944 - viewed 13 times.)

* MDR WOpressor #1.jpg (223.47 KB, 1493x1600 - viewed 14 times.)

* MDR WOpressor #2.jpg (198.13 KB, 622x967 - viewed 14 times.)

* MDR Superformance WOpressor.jpg (244.8 KB, 817x903 - viewed 17 times.)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2021, 10:41:16 AM by odinforever2000 » Logged

WIndstorm

« Reply #155 on: September 11, 2021, 11:30:56 PM »

What software are you using for group analysis? Been trying to find something better than Ballistic AE on my phone to use
odinforever2000

« Reply #156 on: September 12, 2021, 10:34:47 AM »

Range Buddy on Android. Some folks use others.

Hox013

« Reply #157 on: September 13, 2021, 11:55:09 PM »

Desert Tech Mdr Owners Group

I've had my request to join that group pending for weeks. Idk what the holdup is.
FrozenIceman

« Reply #158 on: September 14, 2021, 12:52:23 AM »

Message the mod, seems  expedite things.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length