Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 28, 2021, 06:01:14 PM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . Desert Tech . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  Desert Tech MDR (Moderators: kfeltenberger, Heathsrow)
| | |-+  State of the MDR today? 6.5 Creedmoor subMOA on the table yet?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Print
Author Topic: State of the MDR today? 6.5 Creedmoor subMOA on the table yet?  (Read 4332 times)
WIndstorm

« Reply #80 on: July 19, 2021, 06:33:03 AM »

This has been the most in-depth and thoughtful thread Iíve seen here. This was a pure joy to read, thanks for all your work lazy. The hypothesis you posed is certainly very interesting. Iíll be going out this week and see what I can conclude. I have two 168gr match loads one FGMM, one Winchester, and 175gr FGMM. The Winchester is a hotter load so very interested to see if the hypothesis holds. Particularly since I have had greater success with it on other 16Ē platforms. I havenít fired the Winchester through the Mdrx yet. Standing the best 5 shot group Iíve accomplished was a little over 1.5Ē with 168 FGMM w/ squeeze bag and bipod. If anyone can think of a way of improving the trunnion, if it is indeed the weak link, would be very interesting. Being able to accomplish moderately consistent 1 moa would probably make this my favorite .308 platform certainly top 2.

At this point weíve basically isolated it to barrel harmonics with heavy match rounds for respective caliber, due to a combination of the relatively light-ish barrel profiles used to reduce the weight of the rifle and the gas block location. In other Semi frames one of the solutions would be to adjust the gas block location, but that obviously is not an option here. So the real solution is to get a gunsmith to replace the barrel with a heavier profile one. Given the shortage and need for heat treat on the custom MDRX barrel kit, I think the best option right now is to grab a factory barrel and simply recover the parts to use with a blank.

Sadly at least for me itíll be some time before I can shell out for an X-caliber blank in my preferred setup, So someone else in the thread will probably post results before me.
LazyEngineer

« Reply #81 on: July 21, 2021, 09:56:44 AM »

This has been the most in-depth and thoughtful thread Iíve seen here. This was a pure joy to read, thanks for all your work lazy. The hypothesis you posed is certainly very interesting. Iíll be going out this week and see what I can conclude. I have two 168gr match loads one FGMM, one Winchester, and 175gr FGMM. The Winchester is a hotter load so very interested to see if the hypothesis holds. Particularly since I have had greater success with it on other 16Ē platforms. I havenít fired the Winchester through the Mdrx yet. Standing the best 5 shot group Iíve accomplished was a little over 1.5Ē with 168 FGMM w/ squeeze bag and bipod. If anyone can think of a way of improving the trunnion, if it is indeed the weak link, would be very interesting. Being able to accomplish moderately consistent 1 moa would probably make this my favorite .308 platform certainly top 2.

At this point weíve basically isolated it to barrel harmonics with heavy match rounds for respective caliber, due to a combination of the relatively light-ish barrel profiles used to reduce the weight of the rifle and the gas block location. In other Semi frames one of the solutions would be to adjust the gas block location, but that obviously is not an option here. So the real solution is to get a gunsmith to replace the barrel with a heavier profile one. Given the shortage and need for heat treat on the custom MDRX barrel kit, I think the best option right now is to grab a factory barrel and simply recover the parts to use with a blank.

Sadly at least for me itíll be some time before I can shell out for an X-caliber blank in my preferred setup, So someone else in the thread will probably post results before me.

Maybe you can.  One could whack off the goofy rail-top on the gas block. And then  move it farther down on a custom barrel, I imagine. 
FrozenIceman

« Reply #82 on: July 21, 2021, 10:03:07 AM »

And of course a longer piston/linkage or oprod.
LazyEngineer

« Reply #83 on: July 21, 2021, 12:42:58 PM »

And of course a longer piston/linkage or oprod.

Hmm... good point.   I suppose one could run a gas tap further out, and bring that back via an AR gas tube, back to the current location of the gas-black.  A little convoluted, but that probably would work.

Farmerbrown32

« Reply #84 on: July 21, 2021, 06:57:19 PM »

I have an mdrx. I put the mantis handgaurd and the jard trigger pack in mine. Run a Nx8 2.5-20 and a varminter 3.0 can. Mine loves the 168smk. Both fgmm and black hills factory are sub moa. Im loading the 168smk with varget and it sub moa with 3 shots at 100 if the nut behind the trigger does the job.  Very accurate out to 800 yards. Both the mantis and the jard trigger pack absolutely helped alot with accuracy. My 6.5 creed barrel gets here tomorrow and i have really high hopes
FrozenIceman

« Reply #85 on: July 21, 2021, 07:31:09 PM »

Could you share your varget load (and maybe velocity and COL) Farmer for accuracy? I would like it as a comparison when I do my own.

I also installed a Jard and an Atlas bipod as well for similar reasons.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 07:35:14 PM by FrozenIceman » Logged
WIndstorm

« Reply #86 on: July 21, 2021, 10:45:48 PM »

I have an mdrx. I put the mantis handgaurd and the jard trigger pack in mine. Run a Nx8 2.5-20 and a varminter 3.0 can. Mine loves the 168smk. Both fgmm and black hills factory are sub moa. Im loading the 168smk with varget and it sub moa with 3 shots at 100 if the nut behind the trigger does the job.  Very accurate out to 800 yards. Both the mantis and the jard trigger pack absolutely helped alot with accuracy. My 6.5 creed barrel gets here tomorrow and i have really high hopes

Iíd be really curious to hear what results you get with the 175gr Federal Terminal Ascent, with pics if you could.
Farmerbrown32

« Reply #87 on: July 22, 2021, 08:21:08 AM »

Im using 45g of varget loaded to mag length with a winchester primer. Speed is right at 2600 via magnetospeed. It is a touch hot on these 105 degree days but it does so well i aint changing it and brass is cheap haha im just using my progressive press so i can crank out a bunch of ammo in a hurry. disclaimer: use your own data and please work up.
FrozenIceman

« Reply #88 on: July 22, 2021, 09:49:13 AM »

Thank you Farmer,

That is definitely unexpected with our results above.  I definitely did not expected your powder load to be slightly above max.

Did you see any other optimal loads as you worked your way up?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2021, 10:20:19 AM by FrozenIceman » Logged
Farmerbrown32

« Reply #89 on: July 22, 2021, 10:15:02 AM »

Just looked at my notes again. Guess its 2584 fps average. I started at 42 grains and worked up in half grain increments. At 43 it was decent group and it seemed to tighten up slightly the hotter i got.
Farmerbrown32

« Reply #90 on: July 22, 2021, 12:33:22 PM »

I should also say that i make sure and let the barrel cool down between groups. Ive noticed during this miserable heat that it will definitely start opening up after about 5 shots. And i should say that it is definitely not a benchrest accurate rig. But it dang sure shoots very good for a 16Ē 308 semiauto bullpup and im very happy with it. Am prolly gonna take it hunting this fall and would feel very comfortable making a shot on a mule deer out to 500 yards.
Echoproxy

« Reply #91 on: July 22, 2021, 10:47:08 PM »

You have any pics of your groups? Not that I doubt you, I just havenít seen any proof of sub minute 5 shot groups in 308. Save from some shills.
odinforever2000

« Reply #92 on: July 23, 2021, 12:37:23 PM »

Would a sub minute 4 shot count :p

May God stand between you and harm......in all the empty places you must walk -Ancient egyptian blessing
FrozenIceman

« Reply #93 on: July 23, 2021, 01:45:48 PM »

Hey Odin, you know it might if the barrel grouping is affected by heat as much as we think.  Might be worth taking a minute between shots to minimize thermal affects.
odinforever2000

« Reply #94 on: July 23, 2021, 02:11:54 PM »

I was being cheeky.
 I do have a 4 round sub moa group..but it was 5 shots (grew to 2.5 moa) with a handload not tailored for the Mdrx..Same load did sub Moa (again 4 shots) in the Rfb and somewhere in the 5 round string,grew to 1.7moa.

(I tested 10 different loads in 2 days between the MdrX and Rfb)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2021, 02:14:10 PM by odinforever2000 » Logged

May God stand between you and harm......in all the empty places you must walk -Ancient egyptian blessing
Farmerbrown32

« Reply #95 on: July 23, 2021, 04:34:16 PM »

Got my 6.5 creed barrel mounted yesterday. Started load workup with the 139 scenar, hornady brass and superformance powder. I shoot 3 shot groups with my rifles. Think 5 is a waste of components especially nowadays. Anyway. First group was .560Ē and second was .786Ē. I then shot 2 more on the .786 group and it opened up to a 1.3Ē group. Mainly to proof that when the barrel heats up it will definitely open up groups. Speed is 2863fps average. Im very happy with these results.
Farmerbrown32

« Reply #96 on: July 23, 2021, 04:39:49 PM »

How do i post pics on here? Will post group pics if i can figure it out.
odinforever2000

« Reply #97 on: July 23, 2021, 05:08:41 PM »

Got my 6.5 creed barrel mounted yesterday. Started load workup with the 139 scenar, hornady brass and superformance powder. I shoot 3 shot groups with my rifles. Think 5 is a waste of components especially nowadays. Anyway. First group was .560Ē and second was .786Ē. I then shot 2 more on the .786 group and it opened up to a 1.3Ē group. Mainly to proof that when the barrel heats up it will definitely open up groups. Speed is 2863fps average. Im very happy with these results.

So...not 308(lol)..
Seriously tho.
Whats superperformance powder..and where can I get that.
I've been using Varget
« Last Edit: July 23, 2021, 05:11:43 PM by odinforever2000 » Logged

Farmerbrown32

« Reply #98 on: July 23, 2021, 06:29:57 PM »

My 308 shoots sub moa 3 shot groups also with the 168smk. Dont have any pics of it though. Hornady superformance powder. Usually available more often then others. Im using it because i have a lot of it.
odinforever2000

« Reply #99 on: July 23, 2021, 06:52:25 PM »

I mean. I hear ya...sub moa 3 shots groups are what I can get/use to adjust zero..I have 2 of such groups from my Rfb on the same paper (168gr Hornady Match)and would hardly call it a sub moa gun.

* 20200523_Rfb 3 shot re-zero.jpg (187.17 KB, 1119x563 - viewed 15 times.)

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length