Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 17, 2021, 04:40:04 PM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . Desert Tech . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  Steyr AUG and clones AUG icon
| | |-+  AUG Ergonomic Improvement Concepts - Prototyping Phase
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] Print
Author Topic: AUG Ergonomic Improvement Concepts - Prototyping Phase  (Read 15249 times)
Mr.Tucker

« Reply #280 on: September 07, 2021, 04:52:07 PM »

Good news gents.

I got the quotes back on having the rails made to completion, minus anodizing. The price point's are well under $200 for the Top rails, pre anodizing, and with the right shop for post machining work, I think it will stay that way.

The company I'm working with is a CNC shop and I have a mind to contract with them to make the smaller Improved Control parts as well.

The issue becomes this:

Do I save and fork out a huge wad of cash to pay for the top rails, or do I spend a smaller amount to pay for the smaller parts and use the profits for the top rails?

And regarding the top rail designs, I'm moving towards using a combination of the V1 and V2/3 versions, by having 3 pic slots on the top, AND an Mlok hard mount on the sides. I need to settle on one design, and this seems to be the compromise between the product choices. Having one version for production is desirable, but only if the masses will buy them.

As for handguards, I'll engage them as well for an MLok offering, with a heat shroud that can be bolted on.

Thanks again.
lafrance
^

« Reply #281 on: September 07, 2021, 05:17:43 PM »

PROTECT YOURSELF-IMO
Small and steady
Mr.Tucker

« Reply #282 on: September 07, 2021, 05:19:35 PM »

Amen.

Got the springs today, and boy, that light one really takes the pull down to 3-5 lbs. The reset was not as positive, but it still worked.
lafrance
^

« Reply #283 on: September 07, 2021, 05:22:48 PM »

I've got more if you need some.  I'll send you that MSAR stock if you interested in trying your mods on MSARs.
Clarke-Sensei

« Reply #284 on: September 07, 2021, 05:58:22 PM »

I like the idea of combining the top rail designs.
I'm not sure how you should handle the financing and all that for the rail or the small parts though. It'd probably be easier to sell the small parts since it won't require as much down for customers.

When you say small parts, are you referring to getting the triggers, safeties and mag releases done in aluminum or something you'd feel is better suited to hard use? I know I'd personally jump on that with how much I'm loving how my AUG is with those parts in it.

Thinking about changing up my optics setup on my AUG, so I'd certainly pay in advance for a rail once I sell off my Talon Mount and RT-6 for it.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2021, 10:35:41 PM by Clarke-Sensei » Logged
pugsnguns

« Reply #285 on: September 07, 2021, 08:09:17 PM »

Definitely count me in for a combined rail too. I think small parts are probably a good idea but I bet there is a good demand for handguards since you basically have the only new production in the US.
Mr.Tucker

« Reply #286 on: September 07, 2021, 09:30:12 PM »

Boom.

Keep those tweaks, comments and criticisms coming. This is your abomination as much as it is mine.

* A3 M1 v7 Top Rail.PNG (236.93 KB, 1689x617 - viewed 55 times.)
Clarke-Sensei

« Reply #287 on: September 07, 2021, 10:16:44 PM »

I think that's the best middle ground we could get, and I would certainly not complain if that's the final iteration
KawiKing

« Reply #288 on: September 09, 2021, 09:34:57 AM »

Collapsing the rails to only a few seems like a good decision. Also while I would like a top rail as soon as possible I think it makes more sense to start small and build up unless you get preorder money to pay for rails. That way you arenít out a bunch of money from people who want it but donít want to pay. Anyway you do it, let me know and I am still in.
Skinny06

« Reply #289 on: September 10, 2021, 09:06:38 AM »

I think your combination of the V1-3 designs is the way to go, at the start. Developing the line from there with small tweaks certainly will be easier than getting the entire ball rolling.

As for the first batch and how to fund it, that is a tough call. I know a few of us here would happily hand over some coin to get the ball rolling, but it may not be enough to fund a run where you'd have spares to sell afterwards, and use those profits to set up another run. (Hopefully that was discernible english)

Small parts wouldn't be a bad way to do it either, though I'd bet most of us who would pay up front for the rail will also be picking those up.
Overwatch

« Reply #290 on: Yesterday at 08:26:56 AM »

Late to the party but I would happily pay a pretty penny ($100-150) for those small parts (trigger, safety, mag release) in Aluminum. Especially with the Corvus release unavailable for nearly a year.

Also has a slightly larger customer base since it can be used by A1/A2/USR owners as well as anyone else that might not spring for the full rail.
Mr.Tucker

« Reply #291 on: Yesterday at 12:04:50 PM »

Looks like it's turning that way to run the smaller parts first. I'll see what I can do for a limited run of top rails, but those smaller parts will be much easier to make at lower cost. I'm mid move right now, so all of my shop and testing is packed away. It'll be at least a month till things are back up and running.
Mr.Tucker

« Reply #292 on: Today at 03:01:10 PM »

Gents. The work on this project has been awesome, and I appreciate all the input and messages and support. This is not a "I'm quitting post", so let's check that vibe.

The correspondence outside of Bullpup Forum has been abundant and it's reached a point that we need to setup a few things, like a website to post general information and eCommerce, a business plan to manage resources and finances and investments, and a development thread to work in house in a more private setting.

So, instead, this is a "we're moving collaborative work to Discord" post. It's easier to check updates, has a more secluded setting, and allows me and my business partners more control over the folks who are clued into the finer details of product development beyond the AUG platform. I still consider all these proceedings to date as open source, and while it would suck, I can't really expect a company to not use these ideas and make products on their own. We're working to do that on our time and dime, and we're more than willing to partner with someone...whoever does...

We will still post periodic updates here on BPF, and hold discussion like always, but given the move my family and I are going to, and the decision point we're at, this seems like the next step to take. It will streamline for me the process of sharing information, and cut down on the 3 email chains I keep track of.

If you're interested in collaboration, feel free to PM me for a Discord Invite. All interested folks will be asked and expected to answer the following questions at the time of request, barring information that you are uncomfortable with sharing. It's the handshake we need to feel comfortable sharing more detailed information with you, but is by no means a requirement to collaborate if your content lurking on BPF. We want to make sure we're working with folks that understand the projects, our approach and a generally not dirt-bags who steal IP as we ourselves are not.

Requests to collaborate can be sent to arid.engineering@gmail.com

Who are you, tell us about yourself?
Where are you from?
What is your current Occupation?
What is your educational/professional background?
Why are you interested in Collaboration?
What are your expectations of participation?
Are you willing to sign an NDA to participate in undisclosed projects?
Are you a decent, honest and law abiding person?
*If a US citizen, what's your position on the 2A?
*Do you have any OGA/MIL/LEO or Legal experience?

* items that do not require a response, but are desired to understand experiential relevance to some of the project lines we're running

Please understand, the Discord Group is an engineering and development group, meant to get insanely nerdy in the details and work to refine existing designs. I'm demonstrably long winded and will be unleashed there, so, If you're casually enjoying the BPF content and AUG work, please continue to do so here.

Many thanks.

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length