Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 12, 2019, 06:45:19 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . Desert Tech . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  Steyr AUG and clones AUG icon
| | |-+  Steyr AUG AUG icon
| | | |-+  Best Thread adapter?
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Best Thread adapter?  (Read 382 times)
Battler

« on: August 15, 2019, 09:39:47 PM »

can getting out of jail soon - standardizing in the dead air mount for now but they donít have an aug hider.

I see several thread adapters that claim to do the job. Is one best?

Iíd hope to avoid retreading aug barrel.
eoyguy

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2019, 11:44:56 PM »

Just my recent experience. The adapter is going to either have to be long enough to cover the threads on its own, or be used with the standard AUG check nut. Otherwise you get a gap between the adapter and the unthreaded area of the barrel. The Ratworx adapter is long enough to use by itself. The adapter I got from Infinite is half as long and has to be used in conjunction  with the check nut, so you end up with 2 separate parts attached together, then  the muzzle device on to that.  With the Ratworx you only have the adapter and muzzle device (with crush washer, if needed), which I think is preferable if you are familiar with using AR muzzle devices and crush washers for timing. It's just one less piece to screw together, and end the end, they all accomplish the same thing.
Battler

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2019, 12:28:02 AM »

Iíd assumed the adapter sticks to the gun permanently and you spin on at style muzzle devices. Now you have me thinking - do you instead index the adapter?

If you index the adapter - could the aug but system actually be preferable to using shims?
sboone

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2019, 12:48:00 AM »

I have the ratworx adapter to 1/2◊28. I never used if, bought one of the 1/2◊28 threaded barrels from steyr instead. PM me if you wanna work out a deal on it
eoyguy

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2019, 01:32:54 AM »

Iíd assumed the adapter sticks to the gun permanently and you spin on at style muzzle devices. Now you have me thinking - do you instead index the adapter?

If you index the adapter - could the aug but system actually be preferable to using shims?
The Ratworx adapter just screws on and is tightened down. You can tighten it on and add loc tite to make it firm, but its not permanent. You don't index it, you just screw it on until tight, then index the muzzle device using crush washer/shims. If you use the one like the Infinite adapter, you could attach the muzzle device to the adapter, then use the check nut to time it correctly.
sboone

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2019, 09:49:06 AM »

The Ratworx adapter just screws on and is tightened down. You can tighten it on and add loc tite to make it firm, but its not permanent. You don't index it, you just screw it on until tight, then index the muzzle device using crush washer/shims. If you use the one like the Infinite adapter, you could attach the muzzle device to the adapter, then use the check nut to time it correctly.

The ratworx is designed to butt up to the shoulder, hiwever there is more material that kind if acts as a shroud going back over the OD of the barrel for you to use the check nut, the ratworx will give a guy the most thread engagement on the barrel if one wanted to index it. However for a suppressor I wouldnt recommend that as the shoulder of the barrel acts to align the adapter for suppressor use, indexing it in the check nut may make the adapter angle. You also arent supposed to use crush washers with suppressors for the same reason and thats why precision shims are made to index QD mounts.
bravo619

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2019, 12:42:57 PM »

Iíve had a suppressor mishap on a different weapon and trust me ya donít want anything thatís absolutely able to be done without. And Iím talking about more than one connection with a adapter.  Get it setup to where you mount the adapter and tighten can onto it.  Or take it from someone in the know it doesnít end well if it goes bad. I got a small piece of metal above my eyelash and that was thank god all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

45acp... turning human garbage into useful fertilizer since 1911http://i841.photobucket.com/albums/zz332/bravo619/458.gif
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length