Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 12, 2019, 07:35:04 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . Desert Tech . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  Desert Tech MDR (Moderators: kfeltenberger, Heathsrow)
| | |-+  New MAC video (MDR update)
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: New MAC video (MDR update)  (Read 2185 times)
superduty

« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2019, 11:40:13 AM »

I can't believe I'm saying this, but this video (and all the other data) has convinced me to get an RDB.  I would rather get the FN FS2000, but I don't feel like paying a premium.

I'm officially out on the DT MDR.   Even considering all of its other issues, the scissor mechanism is the achilles heel for it.   DT should've went with downward ejection like with the PS90 and RDB.   It's simple and it works.

I had a RDB...great platform...and it works...

Just ran my fifth 3 gun match with my RDB. It has been flawless once I got the gas valve adjusted correctly. I really wanted an MDR but for less than 1/3 the price the RDB is a big winner.
whiskey91lima
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2019, 12:19:15 PM »

How does the RFB compare?
TNC
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2019, 10:36:37 PM »

I've had an RFB for quite awhile.  I've shot it quite a bit with ammo ranging from 147g military ball to 168g match ammo.  It's been totally reliable.  I have a suppressor, but I haven't used it on the RFB.  Running suppressed has accounted for the bulk of most complaints with the RFB.  Gas balance seems hard to find for some.

I have a nephew who owns a gun store and is a huge night hunter.  He usually uses AR15's in various calibers, but he has a high dollar thermal scope on his RFB when he's hunting really big pigs, and he uses a suppressor on it with no issues.

Even for many AR10 level platforms, .308 is sometimes challenging when it comes to gas control and balance.  It's no different for a bullpup...probably much harder actually.  However, I don't think there's much doubt that the RFB is noticeably more reliable than the MDR.  I'm betting some of IWI's postponement of release on the T7 has at least some element of challenge, but at least they're doing the right thing by waiting until development is truly complete.

I have enough confidence in my RFB that I was almost tempted to buy a 24" hunter version that PSA had on their site today for $999.
thehun
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2019, 11:18:32 PM »

I'd take a RFB over a MDR any day unfortunately...
TNC
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2019, 01:52:16 PM »

whiskey9, I'm not here to promote the RFB, but you asked and I forgot an important issue in my post above.  The FAL magazines have been one of the bigger issues to cause trouble with the RFB.  It's not the design of the FAL magazine.  It's that you can hardly find new FAL magazines anymore.  Many have had issues with the few aftermarket mags. 

Finally, an outfit named Moses Machine started making FAL magazines, and they are like pmags on steroids...awesome, durable mags.  One problem...you have to Dremel or sand a couple of the exterior ribs in the plastic to get them to fit and drop properly.  It's very easy to do and there are instructions on the KTOG site.  I've been using these mags exclusively, and they are 100% reliable.  You can only get these mags from DSA from what I've seen for a decent price of $27.95 for 20-rounders.  Outstanding magazines.
whiskey91lima
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2019, 01:57:50 PM »

whiskey9, I'm not here to promote the RFB, but you asked and I forgot an important issue in my post above.  The FAL magazines have been one of the bigger issues to cause trouble with the RFB.  It's not the design of the FAL magazine.  It's that you can hardly find new FAL magazines anymore.  Many have had issues with the few aftermarket mags. 

Finally, an outfit named Moses Machine started making FAL magazines, and they are like pmags on steroids...awesome, durable mags.  One problem...you have to Dremel or sand a couple of the exterior ribs in the plastic to get them to fit and drop properly.  It's very easy to do and there are instructions on the KTOG site.  I've been using these mags exclusively, and they are 100% reliable.  You can only get these mags from DSA from what I've seen for a decent price of $27.95 for 20-rounders.  Outstanding magazines.

Thanks, TNC. That's good to know. I may get a RFB eventually.
Frostburg
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2019, 03:47:47 AM »

I love my RDB. It's a fantastic rifle. Light weight and snappy in the hands, like 7 lbs or less. Ergonomic, well balanced, great trigger, controls are right at your finger tips and intuitive, points quick when targeting, and it's super reliable, and you can lock the bolt open with one hand (your support hand, like a Steyr AUG). If I were to keep only 2 rifles, it would be my Colt 6920, and my Keltec RDB. The RDB is a winner for sure.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 04:40:10 AM by Frostburg » Logged
spector762

« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2019, 07:17:42 PM »

So all in all the Aug is still the most accurate and reliable 556 on the market
Frostburg
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2019, 12:36:49 AM »

So all in all the Aug is still the most accurate and reliable 556 on the market

I had an AUG. And while I can't speak to it being the most accurate 556, it is highly accurate. But in terms of reliability, I would have no argument with that statement. It was the cleanest shooting semi-auto I've owned. I would argue to its bulletproof reliability. The internal engineering is superb. The only reason I sold it was because you can't drop the magazine with your trigger hand. To me, that's a deal breaker for a combat rifle.
thehun
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2019, 09:10:45 AM »

Tavor SAR to me is the best 5.56 bullpup...but thats my opinion....
TNC
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2019, 04:43:50 PM »

The old AUG vs Tavor debate is a hard one.  They are probably THE two best 5.56 bullpups out there.  I don't think reliability is ruled by either...they're both super reliable.  I don't like the OEM charging handles on either, but that's easily fixed for preference.

I tend to lean a little more toward my Tavor over my AUG, but that's only because of some very subtle ergonomic differences...mag drop, safety, and bolt drop are a little more like I prefer.  Performance-wise I can't gripe much about either.  I find it hard to qualify any real, consistent accuracy differences, but I don't try to benchrest these two rifles for extreme precision.  I have a very specific .223 AR for that.

I wouldn't be at all uneasy about trusting these two rifles with my life in a serious situation.  I actually used the Tavor in a 20-hour SWAT class, and it worked excellently.  Even the instructor was impressed with the rifle.
JesseJames38

« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2019, 06:37:32 PM »

I canít argue about the success of the Aug, SAR, and X95.  These all seem to be really great Bullpup rifles. Wonderful to hear that the Travor did great at the swat class, after all, all three rifles have been issued to military service and well vetted so to say.   

For me the only Bullpup rifle I have ever shot is my MDR.  I like the rifle for what it is and what I would use it for.  I would be interested to see how it would preform in a class.  From my personal thoughts and experiences I donít feel it would do to well.   I will give DT some credit being this is there first semi auto rifle, there is just to much lacking items for it to be a combat weapon.  As now I would trust it with the first magazine in the rifle, after that all bets are off.    This doesnít stop me from enjoying the rifle, I still find it fun and enjoyable to shoot. I just wouldnít grab this rifle to defend my self or family if I have other choices.

Jesse
Tinglyfeet9

« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2019, 08:37:27 PM »

I'd suggest anyone looking at the 5.56 bullpups check out the K&M M17s 5.56.  It is far more accurate than the AUG or X95.  In my experience it is just as reliable, and suppresses far better than either.  Yes it is from a much smaller manufacturer and isn't "battle tested" but it has been tested extensively and the results are all positive.  Really the only downside is the wait time to buy one IMHO (that and lefties need not apply).
Frostburg
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2019, 10:47:20 PM »

I think the AUG has the best internal engineering of any semi-auto. Everything glides together slippery as butter. It is probably the cleanest shooting rifle I've shot. There is hardly any soot in the action after a long day of shooting. It's accurate, and the proprietary mags are nearly indestructible. It's built like a tank. But unlike the Tavor, it's svelte like a racehorse. It's a top quality piece of gear. The only problem I have with it are some of the controls: I dislike having to bump the magazine release with a fresh magazine, and then inserting the new mag. I want to be able to drop the magazine on command with my firing hand. I also dislike how there is no quick bolt release button (A1 model) like on most semi-auto 5.56 rifles. You have to pull back on the charging handle to release the bolt. However, the AUG does allow you to lock the bolt open with just your support hand be pulling the charging handle back and up into the detent. This makes locking it open to clear jams much much faster. Despite those control issues, it's probably the best designed rifle I've seen.  

The Tavor is a great rifle. I just dislike the weight. Also, the height above bore is tall and makes for weird sighting accommodations. Also, locking the bolt back takes three hands, unless you support the butt of the rifle with your thigh. It also has a long and heavy trigger.

I've never owned an FS2k, but I have been given a tutorial and shot one. It's a wierd rifle. Mag changes feel strange since it has to be a perfect fit to insert, the safety is weird. It's shaped weird. I didn't like it at all.

For all of the above reasons is why I think the RDB is the best all round fighting 5.56 bullpup. It addresses all the issues of the rifles above, while retains all the good things they do, and does it in a lightweight, maneuverable and reliable package. It's more accurate than the Tavor. Probably less so than the AUG, and has a smooth 2 stage feeling trigger. I would pick my RDB over all of them if it came down to it. The only other rifle I would choose would be my AR.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 10:51:43 PM by Frostburg » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length