Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 17, 2019, 12:49:43 PM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . Desert Tech . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  Desert Tech MDR (Moderator: Heathsrow)
| | |-+  MDR .223 Accuracy?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: MDR .223 Accuracy?  (Read 1560 times)
Slateman
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2019, 05:45:52 PM »

I made a post in my initial impressions topic. Long story short, I'm underwhelmed. I'm basically getting two inch groups from ammunition I consistently get ~1 MOA out of in my ARs
« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 10:31:11 AM by Slateman » Logged
Slateman
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2019, 10:48:10 AM »

I went back today. Disappointed. I'm a good enough shooter to get ~1 MOA from my rifles with match ammo.

Today I went back with one of my ARs. It has a milspec trigger and a Faxon 16 inch pencil barrel with a 1:8 twist.

I alternated between the MDR and AR. As you can see, there is a significant improvement in accuracy with the AR, using the same ammo, twist rate, and range conditionz.

On the last two, they are both shot at with the MDR using 77gr TMKs from Creedmoore sports. I was pretty disappointed with my first string using this ammo, because it shoots really well out of all my other rifles. I thought maybe I had loosened something or had some scope shadow or something. So I checked everything and tries again. Nope, same result.

* 20190706_102831.jpg (2870.41 KB, 4032x3024 - viewed 113 times.)

* 20190706_102844.jpg (2726.25 KB, 4032x3024 - viewed 37 times.)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 11:13:05 PM by Slateman » Logged
thehun
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2019, 12:08:05 PM »

That is worst than my Tavor SAR...yikes...
Rastoff
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2019, 11:54:28 AM »

I went back today. Disappointed. I'm a good enough shooter to get ~1 MOA from my rifles with match ammo.

Today I went back with one of my ARs. It has a milspec trigger and a Faxon 16 inch pencil barrel with a 1:8 twist.

I alternated between the MDR and AR. As you can see, there is a significant improvement in accuracy with the AR, using the same ammo, twist rate, and range conditionz.

On the last two, they are both shot at with the MDR using 77gr TMKs from Creedmoore sports. I was pretty disappointed with my first string using this ammo, because it shoots really well out of all my other rifles. I thought maybe I had loosened something or had some scope shadow or something. So I checked everything and tries again. Nope, same result.
Was this shot at 100 yards? Both pictures are of the same target, right? Can you tell me what the measurement is from line to line or the size of the dot on those targets? With that info I can measure the groups precisely.

Remember, you can post here because they died over there.
Freedom isn't free.
Slateman
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2019, 11:11:22 PM »

100 yards, indoor. Circle is one inch in diameter. Each perpendicular line is one inch from the edge of the circle.
Rastoff
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2019, 01:36:14 AM »

Thanks for that info. Here is your target with measurements:

Couple of comments:
-Not sure why you're calling some shots flyers. Either they were fired as part of a group or they weren't. If you're commenting that you had some issue, i.e. a jerk or disturbance of some kind, then I understand, but it doesn't change anything.
-There are only 4 holes in group 6. Was one shot off the paper?
-All of the groups are close to centered. I wouldn't adjust my scope with these results.

Based on my calculations and this target, the MDR is a 3.6MOA gun. Obviously this is far too small a sample group to provide any real conclusions, but it doesn't look good.

This is disappointing to me. I expected better from the MDR. I'm getting consistent <2.5MOA results while using cheap Wolf Gold ammo in my Tavor X95.

The X95 has proven to be super reliable. In about 2K rounds I haven't had a single malfunction of any kind. An accuracy of 3.5MOA would be plenty good enough for a battle gun. However, the MDR is more expensive so, why would I switch to the MDR if it has worse accuracy and lots of reported issues?

Thanks for taking the time to show us these results.

Remember, you can post here because they died over there.
Freedom isn't free.
thehun
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2019, 08:41:39 AM »

Couple of comments:
-Not sure why you're calling some shots flyers. Either they were fired as part of a group or they weren't. If you're commenting that you had some issue, i.e. a jerk or disturbance of some kind, then I understand, but it doesn't change anything.
-All of the groups are close to centered. I wouldn't adjust my scope with these results.

Based on my calculations and this target, the MDR is a 3.6MOA gun. Obviously this is far too small a sample group to provide any real conclusions, but it doesn't look good.

This is disappointing to me. I expected better from the MDR. I'm getting consistent <2.5MOA results while using cheap Wolf Gold ammo in my Tavor X95.

The X95 has proven to be super reliable. In about 2K rounds I haven't had a single malfunction of any kind. An accuracy of 3.5MOA would be plenty good enough for a battle gun. However, the MDR is more expensive so, why would I switch to the MDR if it has worse accuracy and lots of reported issues?

(

You simply wouldn't switch ... not at this price point ... the MDR is a niche, range space gun or a hunting rifle at best (debatable) ... at this moment in life ...

TNC
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2019, 11:18:57 PM »

That's unfortunate...not very good.  I have a Tavor SAR that will shoot 2MOA with good ammo and careful benchrest setup and a 1-8 Strike Eagle.  I notice even the KelTec RDB seems to shoot 1.5-2.0 MOA.  I even saw one of the tests was HBerreta who got 1.7 MOA with some bulk ammo.  A $750 bullpup that shoots that well is hard to pass up for the MDR.

My Tavor would get 2.5 to 2.7 MOA with an Eotech red dot.  I have home built AR's from 16" to 20" that will shoot better than my Tavor.  I do have one load that I worked up with a 68g match bullet that will pretty much shoot under that 2.0 MOA regularly with the scope, but I'm plenty happy with what I'm getting with a red dot and the 1-8 scope for the Tavor.  It's not a sniper rifle.  Precision goes to the AR's.
Slateman
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2019, 10:52:42 AM »

Couple of comments:

Flyer means I felt something that didn't go right. Jerk of the trigger, sweat dripped in the eye at that moment. It's basically me saying that I probably had more to do with that shot than the gun did.

As for target 6, I assume you're referring to the second sheet? On the second sheet, on targets 5 and 6, I shot at it with Creedmore 77gr TMK. and the first group I shot at it was so bad, I assumed something was wrong. So I rechecked my my scope rings, barrel screws .... everything. Then I re-shot that group. And after four rounds, I was so disgusted by the performance, I elected to not waste the last round.

Gun went back to DT for evaluation under warranty.
reason

« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2019, 03:10:16 PM »

Please do let us know if DT provides an explanation and solution to this accuracy problem.
HBeretta
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2019, 04:51:54 PM »

Please do let us know if DT provides an explanation and solution to this accuracy problem.

why bother, just sell and tuck that money away for this...and no plans to...just means we'll have to wait a little bit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOsLkWPhj5E
thehun
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2019, 05:30:17 PM »

Knock off from the ARX100....not sure if I'd take that IWI Carmel over my ARX100...
whiskey91lima

« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2019, 05:38:33 PM »

IWI rifles aren't renowned for their accuracy. I'm waiting for the Bren 2.
HBeretta
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2019, 05:44:33 PM »

Knock off from the ARX100....not sure if I'd take that IWI Carmel over my ARX100...

more like knockoff of the bren2 and arx100
thehun
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2019, 05:52:40 PM »

more like knockoff of the bren2 and arx100

They both had a child....
kfeltenberger
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2019, 06:19:37 PM »

IWI rifles aren't renowned for their accuracy. I'm waiting for the Bren 2.

If the BREN 2 that will eventually be sold as a rifle is anything close to the BREN 2 14" pistol that I bought when they first came into the country last year, it will be a rifle well worth waiting for.

Kurt
HBeretta
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2019, 07:34:36 PM »

....not sure if I'd take that IWI Carmel over my ARX100...

it would be tough to justify at twice the price of an arx100 10.5" in fde.
reason

« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2019, 09:39:32 PM »

Luv the ARX100. Most underrated rifle I can think of. The carmel looks cool but also heavy/bulky. ARX is sooo light.
thehun
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2019, 10:49:45 PM »

ARX100 will never leave my stable. Such an awesome design and 100% reliable rifle. Itís cheaper and in my opinion better than a G36 (same class of rifle...polymer 3rd Gen).
whiskey91lima

« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2019, 11:41:57 PM »

Its interesting how any good discussion of the MDR turns into talking about alternatives.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length