Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 17, 2021, 04:34:43 PM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . Desert Tech . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  Desert Tech MDR (Moderators: kfeltenberger, Heathsrow)
| | |-+  what ammo?
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: what ammo?  (Read 2602 times)
ryder0869

« on: June 19, 2019, 07:00:52 PM »

I signed up for a long range class in October and plan on taking the MDR. I want to buy a box of a bunch of different ammo and see what groups the best. Any recommendations on what to pick up? So far here is what I'm thinking:

175gr FGMM
130gr barnes ttsx
150gr ttsx
155gr hornady amax
150gr federal fusion
168gr magtech

Any other suggestions?

Edit:
Added these to the list so far

DT's own 175gr
Federal=Vital-Shok 150Gr Nosler Tip
150gr gold dot

While I do want to test the barnes, they're too much to shoot the class with.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 07:17:36 PM by ryder0869 » Logged
HBeretta
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2019, 07:10:07 PM »

don't be surprised if you're hitting just under an inch @100 with this stuff...

https://vizardsgunsandammo.com/federal-p308f-vital-shok-308-win-7-62-nato-nosler-ballistic-tip-150-gr-20bx-10cs/
coldboremiracle

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2019, 06:23:40 AM »

Ive shot a few MDR’s, and in my experience the DTM 175 Match is pretty consistent in the MDR. This is a ten shot group from last week, the horizontal spread was mostly me.

The first shot, is worth all the rest.

Follow me on FB, IG, YT
ryder0869

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2019, 11:25:56 AM »

Thanks Coldbore, definitely will pick up a couple boxes to try out. Just curious,Ii know you do a lot of hunting. Would you use the 175gr DT ammo for that? I'm on the East Coast so it would be for mainly hogs and deer.
whiskey91lima
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2019, 12:42:55 PM »

M118LR. IWI makes SAAMI spec and standard.

M118LR is milspec precision ammo designed for snipers. It has been the best factory precision ammo in all my 308s.
ryder0869

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2019, 09:38:08 AM »

finally got a chance to hit the range. Unfortunately, my mdr still has a problem cycling the Malaysian surplus ammo I have. I was running suppressed on setting 2, using the EA vox. First mag fed 100% but then I had two stuck casing on the next mag. I tried settings 1 and 3 as well. setting one would not cycle the bolt far enough to pick up the next round. First shot on 3 caused a stuck case.

I switched it back to gas setting two and it ran a whole box of FGMM no problem. The rest of the ammo I had with me was all match so i didnt want to waste it.

I think I will buy 100 rounds of american eagle to see if it runs with newer production ammo, if not I guess its going back to DT.

Just wanted top give an update, I will eventually post group pics once its running correctly.
coldboremiracle

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2019, 02:48:43 PM »

Thanks Coldbore, definitely will pick up a couple boxes to try out. Just curious,Ii know you do a lot of hunting. Would you use the 175gr DT ammo for that? I'm on the East Coast so it would be for mainly hogs and deer.
Oh hell yes. Ive killed more big game animals with 175 Sierra Match kings than any other bullet. Deer, elk, coyotes, rabbits, marmots, and even a bear. I'd use them in a heartbeat.

Follow me on FB, IG, YT
Kublah

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2019, 03:27:38 PM »

Ugh. Stay the hell away from the malayasian surplus. I have managed to shoot hundreds of rounds of it through my MDR, but its inaccurate and the specs are all over the place. It even gets stuck in my buddys bolt action 308, we've had to karate chop the damn bolt open to extract the cases. Hell, take a handful of them and just roll them in your hands and you can see that the bullets are not even seated correctly in the cases. The tips point every which way lol.
ryder0869

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2019, 03:57:09 PM »

Thanks for the warning on the Malaysian stuff. I only have a 30cal can full, glad I didnt buy a whole bunch.

I do have another issue, so I'm still waiting on the form 4 for my can but the range allows conjugal visits. Running the Q plan b with cherry bomb and I obviously didn't tighten the mount onto the can enough. So the mount is now stuck to the muzzle device under the suppressor hand guard and I cant reach it with any tools. Cant take the hand guard off either due to the "plan b" mount being wider than the rear of the handguard. Any suggestions besides cutting the hand guard in half?

Pic attached

Also noticed the handguard and barrel are not quite parallel. I slide a piece of paper between the rail and suppressor at the range and though it was good. Was more worried about my mlok screws than this. Looking at it now there is clearly more space on one side than the other.

* Untitled-1.png (225.38 KB, 540x390 - viewed 219 times.)
coldboremiracle

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2019, 04:55:04 PM »

Also noticed the handguard and barrel are not quite parallel. I slide a piece of paper between the rail and suppressor at the range and though it was good. Was more worried about my mlok screws than this. Looking at it now there is clearly more space on one side than the other.
That is easily remedied when installing the handguard, you just have one side seated further in than the other. Just loosen the screws, even it out, then re-tighten them. As far as getting the mount out, thats a more difficult issue.

Follow me on FB, IG, YT
kfeltenberger
Global Moderator
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2019, 05:05:59 PM »

Thanks for the warning on the Malaysian stuff. I only have a 30cal can full, glad I didnt buy a whole bunch.

I do have another issue, so I'm still waiting on the form 4 for my can but the range allows conjugal visits. Running the Q plan b with cherry bomb and I obviously didn't tighten the mount onto the can enough. So the mount is now stuck to the muzzle device under the suppressor hand guard and I cant reach it with any tools. Cant take the hand guard off either due to the "plan b" mount being wider than the rear of the handguard. Any suggestions besides cutting the hand guard in half?

Pic attached

Lock the bolt back and remove the barrel, then slide the handguard back over the barrel towards the chamber end.

Kurt
ryder0869

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2019, 05:29:42 PM »

that should work, will give it a shot tonight.

Im sure i messed up the alignment on the handguard, will also try fixing that. I kept taking it off to adjust gas setting and had the mount issue at the time so didnt have much range of movement
Chowwow

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2021, 10:19:03 AM »

So what ammo is everyone typically running on their .308 MDRX? I posted earlier about double feeding and bullet setback issues I was having with mine in another thread and a gunsmith friend of mine suggested that the ammo I was using to test were the culprit. I was using Winchester Super-X Power-point .308 180 gr and Winchester M80 7.62x51 150 gr; it was suspected that one was too long and the other did not generate enough gas pressure, respectively. I'm planning to moving on to PMC Bronze .308 150 gr and Federal American Tactical .308 150 gr to get this rifle to cycle more reliably. Anyone think this would help, or is my MDRX more temperamental than others?
FrozenIceman

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2021, 10:34:59 AM »

I have shot M80 Ball through my 308, however the accuracy was pretty bad.  If you look at the state of the MDR thread you will see a few users accuracy results with different ammo and calibers.

Tricks:

1. Use lowest gas setting that will cycle with that ammo that you can (sometimes even below the -)
2. The rifle likes light grainned bullets
« Last Edit: September 07, 2021, 02:13:33 PM by FrozenIceman » Logged
kfeltenberger
Global Moderator
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2021, 12:24:46 PM »

If the M80 won't cycle on the highest gas setting, the rifle needs to be returned to DT for warranty work.  That said, anything that used a flexible tip was it or miss when I had my two .308 MDRs. 

Kurt
WIndstorm

« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2021, 03:33:01 PM »

If the M80 won't cycle on the highest gas setting, the rifle needs to be returned to DT for warranty work.  That said, anything that used a flexible tip was it or miss when I had my two .308 MDRs. 

Agreed with this, and to echo the other thread, stick to consistent loadings in the 150-168gr range for .308 unless you have some extra weight on the barrel tip to dampen out the harmonics (strike oppressor, suppressor, etc)

Also, winchester QA is notoriously bad, so I just try an avoid them at this point. to quote a friend "Win White box, a misload in every box!"

Federal American Eagle and the Federal Premium offerings are always good performers for me, and for M80 ball bulk ammo, Prvi has actually been the most accurate for my rifle (20" .308 FE)
odinforever2000

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2021, 01:27:05 PM »

I shoot a little of everything..

American Marksman M118LR 175 
Fed GMMk 168     
Winchester Match 168   
HSM 168             
Magtech Sniper 168           
Hornaday Super Mach 168 * this weekend

Fiocchi 150
Armsco M80 Ball
Tula     165 SP
Fed Fusion 150

Most are shot on the Normal (-)

May God stand between you and harm......in all the empty places you must walk -Ancient egyptian blessing
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length