Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2019, 10:37:48 PM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . Desert Tech . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  Desert Tech MDR (Moderators: kfeltenberger, Heathsrow)
| | |-+  Karl using MDR in competition
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Karl using MDR in competition  (Read 3636 times)
whiskey91lima

« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2019, 09:16:56 PM »

This match is more sporting like USPSA. Their matches are interesting and exercise your skills more. Both are interesting in their own right. Personally, I don't like competitive shotgun shooting unless it's sporting clays or similar.
kfeltenberger
Global Moderator
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2019, 10:25:04 PM »

Different strokes for different folks, I guess. 

Kurt
kfeltenberger
Global Moderator
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2019, 02:41:24 PM »

Stage 5, "Hammer and Sickle" just dropped on Full30 (should be on YT in a couple hours).  This one featured a fair number of rifle targets out to 300 meters.  When Karl first started shooting the 300m targets, he/the MDR didn't seem that impressive.  By halfway through shooting on the "Hammer" prop, he seemed to have gotten his mojo back and there rest of the stage went well.  In the AAR he explained what happened; he zeroed the rifle using his Hirtenberger and then right before the match remembered SR telling him to check it with a magnet...and sure enough, the bullets were steel jacketed.  Fortunately, SR had spare ammo and all was well, but it was commercial and shot to a different point of aim.

The takeaway was that the MDR performed flawlessly, and other than a borked zero due to a last minute ammo change, was good to go.  The drag in the equation was Karl; the manual of arms wasn't as reflexive as it is for an AR or AK and his reloads weren't as good as they could have been, but they were probably better than most people's with an MDR.

Kurt
whiskey91lima

« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2019, 02:52:15 PM »

I can say as a USPSA competitor, the first stage can take a few shots to get into the groove of things. It's difficult to perform 100% out of the gates.
thehun
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2019, 04:09:46 PM »

No hiccups. Good to see.
coldboremiracle

« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2019, 05:48:48 PM »

He woulda saved some time using the bolt release as designed instead of trying to use the charging handles.

The first shot, is worth all the rest.

Follow me on FB, IG, YT
alienworker

« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2019, 10:27:45 PM »

He woulda saved some time using the bolt release as designed instead of trying to use the charging handles.
Oh my God thank you yes!I was screaming that in my head as I watched!
whiskey91lima

« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2019, 11:24:19 PM »

The recoil though. It's shockingly obvious how much it's throwing Karl around in the 3 yard targets.
thehun
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2019, 08:01:39 AM »

Well..thats your overgassed system...not much you can do about...
coldboremiracle

« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2019, 11:02:35 AM »

Well..thats your overgassed system...not much you can do about...
My children can shoot the 308 MDR just fine with even a modest brake. I have shot several with some aggressive ported brakes and they remove enough to make it feel like a 556 AR.

The first shot, is worth all the rest.

Follow me on FB, IG, YT
thehun
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2019, 11:26:20 AM »

Sure...but its still overgassed... Wink

I wouldn't want to brake a 308 bullpup...my LMT MWS with 16" barrel was quite concussive...even on my Tavor...went to a PWS Triad over a brake...its just too close on a bully to run a brake...my personal opinion...
whiskey91lima

« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2019, 11:27:25 AM »

Brakes do wonders to a rifle. I have a T4 on my SRS in 338 LM and it shoots softer than my factory braked 308 conversion.
Zeiram3f

« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2019, 11:29:26 AM »

We can all shoot the MDR just fine, but the majority of owners and testers have commented on the stiffer than normal recoil impulse of the MDR. Even with a 2lb OSS can on the muzzle, she still whips harder than a 556. Itís amazingly better feeling than shooting with just the flash hider, but itís still noteable.

I compare it to my RFB, where that feels more like a long, gentle, but heavy shove. The MDR feels like a solid punch. Iím certainly not the only one whoís noticed this (looks around YouTube for numerous reviews).
thehun
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2019, 12:48:25 PM »

My experience as well. Itís a snappy gun.

But at least we are seeing progress in function.
kfeltenberger
Global Moderator
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2019, 09:53:23 PM »

Amen!  I'm glad I'm not the only one who was bugged by it.

Kurt
Tinglyfeet9

« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2019, 09:31:07 AM »

So here is stage 6: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_Y8XcTcjDE

Several MDR malfunctions.  Supposedly most were magazine related (you can only use Pmags still....) but at least one wasn't (FTE). 

Recoil was also obviously far heaver than the POF which weighs less and is also a piston gun.

And this is on a gun tuned by DT....
thehun
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2019, 09:53:54 AM »

Looking over the MDR's owner's manual...there is nothing in there stating that PMAGs are the only mags compatible with the platform...heck...there is actually not a spec listed in there...we all know its SR25 pattern...but maybe DT should update the owner's manual...
HBeretta
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2019, 05:32:49 PM »

AND...the malfunctions return.  he should run an RFB tomorrow with the same mags.
Zeiram3f

« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2019, 07:37:26 PM »

I might be wrong, but I believe the RFB uses only FAL mags.
Tinglyfeet9

« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2019, 07:55:01 PM »

The RFB does use FAL mags.

The K&M M17s however uses AR10 mags and runs on basically everything including D&H (who I guess make brownell's) KAC, Larue, Lancer, Magpuls, and so on. 

As many of us have speculated, it seems like the one FTE was a round getting stuck in the shoot....
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length