Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 12, 2019, 04:11:19 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . Desert Tech . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  Desert Tech MDR (Moderators: kfeltenberger, Heathsrow)
| | |-+  My MDR impression and experience
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: My MDR impression and experience  (Read 1685 times)
AB0822

« on: May 11, 2019, 05:03:36 PM »

Hello everyone, I picked my MDR late last month, and have finally got the chance to shoot it. Mine came with the new 6 position gas valve, but not the upgraded hammer spring, or extractor. I figured I should add my experience to the discussion here. I am in no way loyal to any manufacturer, and plan to continue to add my experience to this post.

Magazines used were the included magpul pmag, and lancer 20 round mags.

I fired 100 rounds, which were a mix of m80 ball, Winchester white box, and federal 175 GMM. I did not experience any malfunctions. I did however notice my brass was a bit damaged.

Somewhere around 60 rounds fired, I looked down, and saw the captive polymer handguard pin, laying on the bench. I will be contacting Desert Tech for the additional upgrades, and the handguard issue.

I will keep this posted with what I hear back from them, and my continued experience with this rifle.

* 20190427_214724.jpg (5149.78 KB, 4032x3024 - viewed 286 times.)
thehun
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2019, 01:10:56 PM »

Great to hear it functioned for you...walking out pins are no fun...seems some still have issues with that...not sure if these pins walking out are from the excessive action MDRs have or not...it will be interesting to see how well scopes hold up with the MDR.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 01:12:29 PM by thehun » Logged
AB0822

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2019, 11:01:36 AM »

Update: An employee called me today. Asked me to send the barrel, along with the bolt back to them for the extractor upgrade. I will also be sending back the handguard and pin. Decided to not get the hammer spring upgrade, since I have yet to experience any light primer strikes.

I was advised from the warranty dept. receiving the parts, to me getting them back should take approximately 3-4 weeks.
Kenndapp
^

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2019, 03:15:35 PM »

Mine is now at 4 weeks in DT possession. Emailed for an update... nothing. Emailed again.... nothing. The new Warrenty girl, Meagan.... she was great but I think sheís getting slammed with the inflow of trashcan guns. and am out of town. I need a heads up before they ship back. I wonít get one. Oh..... this is the 3rd time the .308 has been back.
Box

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2019, 04:06:43 PM »

Mine is now at 4 weeks in DT possession. Emailed for an update... nothing. Emailed again.... nothing. The new Warrenty girl, Meagan.... she was great but I think sheís getting slammed with the inflow of trashcan guns. and am out of town. I need a heads up before they ship back. I wonít get one. Oh..... this is the 3rd time the .308 has been back.

Thatís the price of being a beta tester.   Hope it works out soon.
ryder0869

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2019, 05:26:21 PM »

same story here, two unanswered emails as of yesterday. I have the feeling they are swamped right now. Megan said she was the only person working warranty, so I can kinda understand her missing a couple emails but not why DT only has one person. I assume the only one working warranty means interfacing with customers and hope they don't have her fixing all the rifles as well.

Im not too concerned about the wait, I just hope my rifle works like its supposed to once I get it back.
thehun
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2019, 09:44:30 PM »

DT seems to have a revolving door...which is never good.
AB0822

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2019, 09:24:00 PM »

Update: mailed it out last week, and was told by the UPS it would arrive today. At 5:30 pm today, I recieved a tracking email from Desert Tech. Either I got 1 day turn around service, or something went wrong. I will call tomorrow when they are open and check the status of my warranty order.
AB0822

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2019, 01:39:08 PM »

Update: Sent an email to the warranty dept. This afternoon. About 60 minutes later Megan replied stating that everything was fixed, and sent back to me the same day it arrived.
JesseJames38

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2019, 02:43:39 PM »

What all did you have fixed on the rifle.   Thatís pretty good to have a one day turn around.    I sent my rifle On last month. It arrived on the 19th and itís still there
AB0822

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2019, 03:43:00 PM »

I had the new extractor installed, and had them fix my handguard since the captive retention pin, fell out, and I lost the metal clip that retains it.
kfeltenberger
Global Moderator
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2019, 05:21:27 PM »

That is fantastic turnaround!

Kurt
AB0822

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2019, 06:59:13 PM »

I am impressed so far.

I haven't cleaned the rifle yet, and I will continue to shoot it without cleaning until performance degrades and keep this thread posted. I have a reflex suppressor handguard to work with my surefire can (a pain in the ass to install and take off due to the mounting system), and I will report back how it handles the can.

* 20190427_155241.jpg (3406.65 KB, 4032x3024 - viewed 146 times.)
thehun
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2019, 07:32:59 PM »

Best of luck...that is a great turnaround...glad you got her back fast.
kfeltenberger
Global Moderator
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2019, 07:48:07 PM »

How is the balance with the Elcan and suppressor?  Mine wear a MRD with either a 4x or 6x magnified and an OSS BRP/SRM suppressor system and balance extremely well (even if they are making me eat a Wheaties alternative - I see what eating Wheaties for decades did to Bruce Jenner...)

Kurt
AB0822

« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2019, 10:02:48 PM »

I like the Elcan on the rifle. It's not light, but being short, and mounted towards the rear (more so than 1-8/1-6 variables) it hides its weight well.

Since so much weight is towards the rear, adding a suppressor feels so much more balanced than a standard rifle.

The MDR is heavy to begin with, and when adding the optic and can, it's not super practical, but I hope it makes for a fun range toy.

AB0822

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2019, 09:50:49 PM »

Update: 600 rounds in, accuracy is starting to degrade, so its time to finally clean it.

Reliability: thing is running great, and no issues so far. Pmags and lancers both work every time.

Accuracy: At 100yards, 175 FGMM shoots consistently around 1Ē. Winchester white box is about 3.5Ē, and American eagle is around 2.75Ē. All shooting was done off a bench, using an Elcan at 4x.

Trigger: I hate it. Hard to describe, its weird.

Safety selector: no positive click, just slides, not a fan, but itís manageable.

Features: charging handles are great, fun as hell to slap. Everything feels so natural, itís a well thought out rifle.

Overall: I like it. Itís compact, shoots 308. Itís not a precision gun, but a cool battle rifle, that has a place in my safe.
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length