Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2019, 03:28:21 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . Desert Tech . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  Desert Tech MDR (Moderators: kfeltenberger, Heathsrow)
| | |-+  MDR Safety
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: MDR Safety  (Read 764 times)
JFPUP

« on: April 21, 2019, 10:03:35 PM »

I have an MDR and I do a lot of hog hunting. I have noticed that on several occasions the safety has accidentally switched to fire when getting in or out of vehicles and/or brushing against clothes.  Has anyone else had this issue? 
JesseJames38

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2019, 10:24:52 PM »

I am not active like most people with my MDR, so I never had this happen. All the times I have used my MDR was at the range. That being said I can see this happening as there really isn't much of a detent feeling on the safety, at least not that I remember. Currently my rifle is back at DT for the "fixes"
Zeiram3f

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2019, 11:30:05 PM »

Iíve had this happen a couple of times and as a result Iíve retrained my grip hand to always thumb the safety to safe (and just hold it there) if my trigger finger isnít ready to pull the switch. I have the same habit with my PS90, as that safety is also a little too loose for my liking. Both of those firearms have been found hot and ready to shoot without me intentionally setting them there and Iím not a fan of that - hence the religious safety fingering-action when the rifle is slung or in hand...
Frostburg
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2019, 02:09:22 PM »

Umm what?? The rifle's safety is disengaging itself?? That is a negligent discharge waiting to happen. What if it's slung across someone's back when this happens, or going through brush and a branch bumps the trigger. This is something that could go wrong in a very bad way; like a wheelchair or reconstructive surgery sort of way.
thehun
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2019, 02:14:24 PM »

MDR owners have reported the safety being not engaging...I thin even some reviewers have noticed that...wonder what fix DT will have on them...maybe a new detent and spring...I've noticed on ARs when they are not engaging well...the safety lever pocket wasn't machined well enough...but those were on cheap LPK parts...probably made in China.
Zeiram3f

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2019, 09:13:43 AM »

Yes, the safety is too easy to actuate, much like the PS90.

I requested it be stiffened or a firmer detent be added when I sent back to DT this last week. After 250 flawless discharges, I finally had my first ripped rim since getting the g2 gas plug (600-800 rounds total). I basically suggested they make this a functioning battle rifle or refund me, as this is the rifleís third trip to DT. I was getting fairly comfortable with the rifle, especially with the OSS OTB sponging up most of the sound and recoil, but this latest issue, which isnít unusual at this point, has put my back to the wall.

Itís hard to get over the ergonomics of the thing, but reliability trumps all.
thehun
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2019, 10:02:54 AM »

Reliability does trump all
kfeltenberger
Global Moderator
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2019, 08:31:25 PM »

Yes, the safety is too easy to actuate, much like the PS90.

I requested it be stiffened or a firmer detent be added when I sent back to DT this last week. After 250 flawless discharges, I finally had my first ripped rim since getting the g2 gas plug (600-800 rounds total). I basically suggested they make this a functioning battle rifle or refund me, as this is the rifleís third trip to DT. I was getting fairly comfortable with the rifle, especially with the OSS OTB sponging up most of the sound and recoil, but this latest issue, which isnít unusual at this point, has put my back to the wall.

Itís hard to get over the ergonomics of the thing, but reliability trumps all.

With the new extractor and 2019 gas plug, this should be realized.

Kurt
Zeiram3f

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2019, 01:36:33 AM »

Regarding reliability? I do hope so. Iím not convinced the extractor is the final solution but I do think it makes a massive difference. The 2019 gas plug, to me, appears more like compensation for other problems, especially with the oversized ports. Last time I spoke with Kyle about my issues he insisted I keep my g2 plug and avoid the 3, but that was only because my rifle was eating everything on setting 3, suppressed or otherwise. A g3 plug would probably cycle my rifle at the lowest setting and be way overpassed with a baffle style suppressor, were I to ever use one again.
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length