Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2019, 05:29:13 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . Desert Tech . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  Desert Tech MDR (Moderators: kfeltenberger, Heathsrow)
| | |-+  New MDR aluminum Handguard - ready for pre-ordering
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Print
Author Topic: New MDR aluminum Handguard - ready for pre-ordering  (Read 9997 times)
LeeMajors

« on: February 17, 2019, 12:23:25 PM »

Hello the Camp!

My name is Rich Murphy and I'm the owner of Lucky Irishman Firearms.  We make a lot of small parts and handguards for various manufacturers and also various aircraft parts for older radial engine and carbureted small planes.  

Chances are if you've seen an ACR stock on a rifle, we make the adapter (notable exception - the SCAR - they beat us to the punch).  We also make thread adapters and wide foot mag releases for the FAL, handguard and enhanced bolt releases for the Kel-Tec RDB, and now a handguard for the MDR.

For those of you who have followed the MDR Facebook page, you have seen us in various stages of design for 8 months.  Yes, since last May.  Complicated little bugger to make sure the lockup is rock solid to the receiver.  

We are not affiliated in any way with Desert Tech but we have been in touch and they have verified dimensionality with both the .308 and .223 rifles, so this will fit both.  They have also verified this will not void your warranty, as it uses the same attachment points as the existing handguards, just with an internally-threaded thru-stay to screw in the base rather than using a push-pin.  They've asked us for one when we're done as well.  

Design is done, and we are 3 weeks away from beginning production, all of which is done right here in the U.S.A.  No foreign parts or labor.  Ever.  Made in 6061-T6 aluminum also U.S. sourced.

2 weeks to set up the tooling, 2 weeks to produce the rails, 2 weeks for final machining, and 2 weeks for anodizing, packaging, and shipping to us.  In other words, we're about 90 days from this being in your mailbox.  

We have used crowd funding to offset roughly 50% of the production costs since we started business, all the way back to the FAL ACR stock adapters 5 years ago.  As a small home run business, plunking down $25,000 at once gets a little difficult in addition to the thousands spent in prototyping the last 8 months, and we don't run huge profit margins since it's all done here in the USA, so we rely on people who share our passion for shooting and enhancing our rifles.  

As such, we discount the prices for pre-ordering.  You help us, we help you.  

There are two flavors of rails, one is short, coming just to the muzzle end on the bottom so your flash hider won't burn it and one is long, made for people running suppressors.  They are M-Lok top, sides, and bottom, for whatever accessories you may choose to mount.  Inner diameter was profiled for the OSS Suppressor, and I don't know of any that are larger in diameter, so your suppressor will fit.

Retail pricing:

Short rail:  $299
Long rail:  $319
Cerakote Tan:  $35

We are up to 40 pre-orders on the FB page.  50 gets the project moving.  Discounted pricing available to the FB and Bullpup forum members only IF you pre-order with a $50 deposit (again to offset initial machining and setup costs).

>50 but <100 pre-orders = $249 shipped, a 20% discount and free shipping.
>100 but <150 pre-orders = $239 shipped.
>150 pre-orders = $219 shipped.

Cerakoting not included but that pricing will be good for both short and long rail but ONLY in pre-orders.

We don't really run sales so if you don't pre-order, you're going to pay retail.  

We accept Paypal to Lear70@gmail.com, FB pay, USPS Money Orders, and all major credit cards through Square.  Please PM for details on the last two, find us on FB for FB pay.  

Check our progress out on the Facebook MDR page if you want to see how our journey progressed and how we got here regarding design, including polls to see what people liked the best.  You can also find us at www.lifeindustries.net

Thanks,

Rich Murphy, Owner
Lucky Irishman Firearms

HBeretta
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2019, 12:33:09 PM »

nice work man.
thehun
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2019, 01:38:16 PM »

Your work is always top notch.

User accessible gas plug...awesome. Something DT should have done but failed.
superduty

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2019, 01:57:55 PM »

Very happy with their handguard for my RDB. I am sure what they develop for the MDR will be a great improvement over the plastic one.
whiskey91lima
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2019, 02:41:47 PM »

Great design Rich. If I still had an MDR, I would but one.
HBeretta
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2019, 02:52:07 PM »

User accessible gas plug...awesome. Something DT should have done but failed.

yeah...he made it look easy didn't he?  i'd be interested in how well this handguard holds zero considering materials used and how it's mounted.
thehun
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2019, 05:00:12 PM »

I bet better than the factory unit.
LeeMajors

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2019, 05:23:18 PM »

We guarantee it to hold zero, that's not going to be a problem.  4 lockup points on the receiver and not just a push pin but screws.  Then 6 screws on the handguard mating to the bases.  It's not going anywhere.

The prototype is 3D printed Kevlar over the machined aluminum bases.  The final will be all aluminum.  No worries there.

Thanks for the kind words, gents!  Glad you like our work.  Hopefully this is our lasts design for a while, ready to take a break from design and get back to our body armor project.
thehun
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2019, 07:03:02 PM »

Looks very stout.
kfeltenberger
Global Moderator
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2019, 08:57:57 PM »

Which version, long or short, is shown with the OSS suppressor?  Just want to confirm so that I can let you know which one I want for my pre-order.

Kurt
LeeMajors

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2019, 09:13:26 PM »

Which version, long or short, is shown with the OSS suppressor?  Just want to confirm so that I can let you know which one I want for my pre-order.
The short one is shown, the long one is 6 M-lok sections.

Thanks!
kfeltenberger
Global Moderator
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2019, 11:11:56 PM »

The short one is shown, the long one is 6 M-lok sections.

Thanks!

Outstanding!  That's the one I was hoping to get.

Kurt
reason

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2019, 09:17:18 AM »

Hey Rich, what is the OAL of the long one going to be? Is it longer than the DT suppressor HG?
LeeMajors

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2019, 11:22:25 AM »

The short one is the same overall length as the original DT handguard.

The long handguard is longer than the DT suppressor handguard.  Here's a mockup one of the forum members did for us.  We haven't had it made because it's almost $200 to 3D print something this big and it's just a length issue.

I will get an OAL on the long version off the CAD file in a bit and post back.

Thanks,

Zeiram3f

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2019, 12:08:27 PM »

Rich, itís Corey. Is this mock-up more accurate to what the final long version should look like?

* BD687BA4-FD89-48F2-944A-C111128D6AB6.png (601.71 KB, 1800x1200 - viewed 327 times.)
LeeMajors

« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2019, 12:38:43 PM »

Rich, itís Corey. Is this mock-up more accurate to what the final long version should look like?
Yes, that's perfect!

Thanks, Corey, I appreciate it.  Didn't want to mention you by name without asking.  I greatly appreciate the help.  Your image mockups were what pushed us to go ahead and execute on making both the long and short versions per the poll results!
Zeiram3f

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2019, 12:45:34 PM »

Hey! Glad to hear it. And if you ever need any conceptual work on future projects, 2D or 3D, consider me interested.
Slateman
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2019, 04:31:19 PM »

Weight? Are all the slots m-lok? Including the ones at an angle to the side and top rail? If so, are they angled to allow offset sights and be in line with the barrel?
HamSpoon89
^

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2019, 10:17:29 PM »

The RDB handguard is flawless, I'd expect nothing less here.
LeeMajors

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2019, 11:10:16 PM »

Weight? Are all the slots m-lok? Including the ones at an angle to the side and top rail? If so, are they angled to allow offset sights and be in line with the barrel?
All the horizontal slots are M-Lok.  Top, bottom, sides, and 45 top angle. 

I still haven't gotten a full weight yet, should have that shortly.  It'll be within a few ounces of the factory handguard.  Most of the mass is in the base which is center of gravity for the rifle so it's rather negligible in terms of handling.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length