Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2018, 03:17:36 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  FNH
| | |-+  P90 / PS90 P90 icon
| | | |-+  First prototype of ShootingSight PS90 trigger
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: First prototype of ShootingSight PS90 trigger  (Read 30587 times)
ShootingSight
Bullpup Fanatic

« on: April 29, 2016, 06:40:17 PM »

After a year of ticking over in my head how to improve the PS90, and I did have a few ideas, I kept stumbling into how to get parts that fit into the FN housing, plus,
by using their geometry I'm stuck with design choices they made. So I finally decided just to start from scratch and make an entire trigger pack, like I did for the Tavor.

First prototype is done. I still need to design springs, include the engagement surfaces for the rods, make it pretty, troubleshoot it .... but here is the first prototype.
It feels great, I think this is going to be a fantastic trigger when it is done, as the 'push' design of the rods really allows me to take advantage of the physics of sear
design.

No price yet. Timing depends on what I run into along the testing path, but my goal is to have a functioning model at the NRA show in a few weeks.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 06:43:41 PM by ShootingSight » Logged

Art Neergaard
ShootingSight LLC
www.shootingsight.com
shootingsight@fioptics.com
513-702-4879
Rabies

« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2016, 12:47:16 PM »

That is awesome!

Also do you still intend to develop triggers for the Aug and FS2000?
Dragon01
^

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2016, 05:19:28 PM »

This gets me excited about the PS90.  It is by far the most fun firearm I own but the trigger is awful.  I am looking forward to updates on trigger.  Thanks for taking a chance on this Art, it is greatly appreciated
ShootingSight
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2016, 10:24:53 AM »

AUG is maybe, FS2000 is probably no. 

First I need to see how the PS90 goes.  It costs me not only real money to develop this, but also months of my time where I have to justify a salary, so a critical question is how many will sell, at what price, and is it enough to justify the investment.  The PS90 is a current rifle, so I think it has a chance.

The FS2000 is not being imported anymore, so I question the number of units that will sell.

The AUG is still current.  I had to flip a coin to decide if I wanted to do the PS90 or the AUG first, I discussed it with Sgt.P, and decided to do the PS90.  If it is successful, I'll likely follow up with the AUG.

Art Neergaard
ShootingSight LLC
www.shootingsight.com
513-702-4879
jay6669
^

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2016, 11:07:25 AM »

i own both the ps90 and the AUG and would buy them both. that said i believe the ps90 and the fs200 would be very close just different housings i don't own a fs200 to compare the pack. the aug is only close to the ps90 as in the both have the same activation. the aug will be harder as for the a3 model has the bolt catch in the trigger pack and the but pad pin lock.

if you do the ps90 please add some type of rubber to the front of the pack that would be an amazing addition. Shocked

looking forward to this!

~blowing up spell checkers since spell checkers could check spells~
Aug A3 CQC
PS90
jwaruszyla

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2016, 11:31:08 AM »

Count me in on the AUG version if it happens
Rabies

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2016, 12:29:54 PM »

AUG is maybe, FS2000 is probably no. 

First I need to see how the PS90 goes.  It costs me not only real money to develop this, but also months of my time where I have to justify a salary, so a critical question is how many will sell, at what price, and is it enough to justify the investment.  The PS90 is a current rifle, so I think it has a chance.

The FS2000 is not being imported anymore, so I question the number of units that will sell.

The AUG is still current.  I had to flip a coin to decide if I wanted to do the PS90 or the AUG first, I discussed it with Sgt.P, and decided to do the PS90.  If it is successful, I'll likely follow up with the AUG.

Woe is me. Cry
ShootingSight
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2016, 01:02:23 PM »

i own both the ps90 and the AUG and would buy them both. that said i believe the ps90 and the fs200 would be very close just different housings i don't own a fs200 to compare the pack. the aug is only close to the ps90 as in the both have the same activation. the aug will be harder as for the a3 model has the bolt catch in the trigger pack and the but pad pin lock.

if you do the ps90 please add some type of rubber to the front of the pack that would be an amazing addition. Shocked

looking forward to this!
Actually, the FS2000 and the AUG have more in common, in that the activation rods are shorter and enter through the front of the trigger pack.  The PS 90 has longer rods that go over the top of the pack, so the linkage will need a redesign.

Tell me more about the need for rubber at the front of the pack.  What is this for?

Art Neergaard
ShootingSight LLC
www.shootingsight.com
513-702-4879
jay6669
^

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2016, 12:59:55 AM »

the ps90 uses the front of the trigger pack as a brass deflector. the ps90 also eject hard like the aug the cases turn 180 and the case mouths cut in to the trigger pack like the aug and the stock. if you reload your brass it will be damaged and it does tear up the trigger pack a bit. a lot of people fix this with Velcro but this cal lead to jams. i think if the housing was aluminum this problem would be worse as the plastic had some softness and give compared to metal.

Aug A3 CQC
PS90
ShootingSight
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2016, 03:08:44 PM »

Thanks, now I see it on my trigger pack - lots of little dings in the plastic.  Looks like they all fall in a very narrow strip, right in the middle.

The trigger pack housing has lots of space there, so adding a rubber layer might be fairly easy.  I just need to find rubber.  If someone sold dovetail profile it would be ideal.

Art Neergaard
ShootingSight LLC
www.shootingsight.com
513-702-4879
c7aea

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2016, 06:03:51 PM »

I have your trigger pack for the tavor. This interests me.
The Heretic

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2016, 06:23:36 PM »

This thread motivated me to go out and shoot my PS90.

Been busy - had not shot it yet.

The trigger isn't as bad as some bullpups I've shot, but not great either. Multiple stages, a lot of travel, some creep, not heavy like an AK, but not light either.

When it breaks it doesn't feel like a break, it just moves to the rear and the shot has been fired.

I wouldn't want to have to take a precision shot with it - besides the fact that the aperture definitely needs to be larger.
ShootingSight
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2016, 09:04:34 PM »

Prototype is DONE in time to show at the NRA show this weekend.  It's hella good!  Everything anyone said about a bullpup trigger being bad has just been disproven.

Springs are still weak, as I had to select from stock springs I had on hand, so I used AR trigger and hammer springs.  The trigger spring is slightly weak for the PS90
 first stage because the mechanical advantage of the rods pushing at the top of the trigger travel is just too great.  And the hammer spring is too weak because of
 the way I cut the first trigger pack housing, so the spring legs are not wound tightly enough.  I'll fix that.

Never mind, it pulls smoothly.  It stops solid at the second stage.  It has minimal travel to get a sharp break.  WOW! way better than stock, way better than any
 modification I have tested (might not have tested all options), but WOW!  I still need to heat treat and do a final polish, and add NiB coating, so the production
 version will be even more awesomer (note to self: check grammar on that one).  But the prototype rocks!  Stop by the ShootingSight booth at NRA show if you
 want to try it out.

Once NRA show is over, I'll move to pre-production with a dozen or so, and ramp up real production.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 07:46:01 AM by ShootingSight » Logged

Art Neergaard
ShootingSight LLC
www.shootingsight.com
513-702-4879
Dragon01
^

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2016, 09:44:12 PM »

Great news Art!  I wont be making it to the NRA show but I am excited for this and at this point you most likely will beat the MDR to emptying out my wallet.  Thanks for keeping us updated, it is greatly appreciated.
ShootingSight
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2016, 10:18:53 PM »

Pimped my gun for the NRA show.

Art Neergaard
ShootingSight LLC
www.shootingsight.com
513-702-4879
mission critical
^

« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2016, 12:25:49 AM »

Thank you, Good Sir, for your efforts!

I am very interested in this product, and the anticipated price-point.

Will keep my eye on this thread.
c7aea

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2016, 09:08:07 AM »

Nice

Can we get a photo of the completed prototype?

Any rough guesstimate of the timeline for it? Are you aiming for a target price?
CabbitOne
^

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2016, 12:55:52 PM »

Very cool. Certainly a buyer of several if you make it to the AUG.
Heck, I'm considering buying one for my PS90 that I never shoot, just to help fund the AUG development.
jay6669
^

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2016, 02:28:30 PM »

wish i could be there to try it Embarrassed    post up some pics! Cheesy

Aug A3 CQC
PS90
schen8

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2016, 04:33:00 PM »

Good stuff Art!
Can't wait to hear when they are available to purchase! Cheesy
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print