Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 04, 2021, 10:37:36 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . Desert Tech . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  IWI TAVOR
| | |-+  IWI Tavor SAR & X-95
| | | |-+  $5 Gas Fix
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: $5 Gas Fix  (Read 4468 times)
zekers7

« on: April 26, 2016, 09:04:57 PM »

Not sure if this has been covered before. Got a little tired of my eyes burning during suppressed fire so took this fix into my own hands.

I closely inspected the rifle while waiting for the MI port door cover to deliver. It appears that there is another culprit in the the gas experience... Right behind the rail (about where your face sits) is a major leak point for gas.

Right at the back of the rail along the edge is the point we are looking at. With the rail removed the issue is clearly visible.

$5 on amazon

Take 5 minutes to completely disassemble the rifle including the barrel to gain access to the gas tube/shroud. Then apply a nice little coating to the top edge that meets the stock of the rifle. Reassemble the rifle making sure there is a nice seal as its placed back in. If your worried about binding you could probably place a very light coat of oil on the rifles stock where the RTV would meet so it can be easily separated later.

24 hours later consider it fixed. Enjoy better vision! This should seal up the gas that gives that nice "Tavor Stache." The port cover should seal the deal (pun intended).

BullpupT
Bullpup Fanatic

AF&AM 02

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2016, 07:38:52 AM »

Awesome bit of detective work. Thanks for the information. It looks like that location is where you get the direct eye shot of gas instead of the standard cheek full.
Grizz

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2020, 02:56:26 PM »

How did the RTV work for you?
cciman

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2020, 04:54:20 PM »

Not a new concept here.

There are plenty of things to just "redirect" (no need to completely seal)  the gas away from the face/nose/mouth.  Duct tape (Gorilla brand- Black) has worked well for me.  No need to apply a RTV.
Removable, tunable, and replaceable.  

https://bullpupforum.com/index.php?topic=13921.msg148611#msg148611
« Last Edit: December 06, 2020, 04:57:12 PM by cciman » Logged
xxmmdd
New Posting Member

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2020, 06:53:59 AM »

https://youtu.be/5FDOXK2p0N0

simple and manly
Border Dave
^

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2020, 11:05:34 AM »

How did the RTV work for you?

I canít speak for the OP, but I applied a lot of RTV in that location under the rail, but I havenít shot my Tavor since then with the suppressor attached.  Iíll see if I can get out this week and test it out.  I also installed the Shooting Sight heavy spring.  This should be a good test.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2020, 10:05:42 PM by Border Dave » Logged
Border Dave
^

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2020, 10:00:18 PM »

Okay, I took my Tavor to the range today.  It has the heavy recoil spring from Shooting Sight installed, lots of RTV under the picatinny rail, and the Gearhead Works FLEX swivel installed.  Iím using a Surefire Socom 300 SPS suppressor.  There was noticeably less gas with the heavier recoil spring and RTV installed.  It still is very gassy, but it no longer shoots gas into my eyes and makes me tear up.
Border Dave
^

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2020, 10:03:03 PM »

Double post.
Leonitus

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2021, 09:10:53 AM »

I used a release agent, in this case, neutral shoe polish on the stock mating surface. This prevents the silicone from sticking, thus creating a reuseable sealing surface.
Border Dave
^

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2021, 11:59:10 AM »

I used a release agent, in this case, neutral shoe polish on the stock mating surface. This prevents the silicone from sticking, thus creating a reuseable sealing surface.

I should have mentioned that I did the same thing on mine.
Leonitus

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2021, 11:08:47 PM »

I should have mentioned that I did the same thing on mine.

Great to hear, wondered if I was the only one
Zolkalf

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2021, 05:51:17 PM »

Keep us posted how the shoe polish lasts and if it melts with heat.

I RTV'd the whole top, back and side on mine with some 550 degree Black i think it was.
It's posted here if you didn't see it:

https://bullpupforum.com/index.php?topic=15115.0

And I am not hijacking the thread lol, just showing what I done becasue it took a long time dammit.  Grin

Track the liars down and then remove their crowns!
Zolkalf on PubG
Leonitus

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2021, 08:12:28 AM »

Keep us posted how the shoe polish lasts and if it melts with heat.

I RTV'd the whole top, back and side on mine with some 550 degree Black i think it was.
It's posted here if you didn't see it:

https://bullpupforum.com/index.php?topic=15115.0

And I am not hijacking the thread lol, just showing what I done becasue it took a long time dammit.  Grin

The neutral shoe polish was used as a release agent only.
I used neutral because I have a FDE stock, black will stain lighter colors

The Kiwi was applied to the stock mating surface. The RTV was applied to the rear of the gas cylinder.
After 24 hours, I removed the gas cylinder and removed Kiwi residue with isopropyl alcohol.
I then reassembled the SAR
« Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 08:14:23 AM by Leonitus » Logged
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length