Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 28, 2017, 02:32:36 PM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Shotguns
| |-+  Kel-Tec KSG (Moderator: Ronmar)
| | |-+  KSG failure to extract
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: KSG failure to extract  (Read 4268 times)
kamui34

« on: March 27, 2016, 12:42:35 PM »

I took the KSG skeet shooting for the first time. It was fun all in all but I had severe extraction issues with the bullpup. It happened with Winchester white box low brass and Fiocchi high brass as well.

The gun failed to extract the spent shell and then tried to load a fresh round. I had pull out the fresh shell then rack the shotgun multiple times, sometimes up to 3 times before it ejected (mind you I'm making sure not to short stroke it)

How do I go about to fixing that?

Thanks
Tj7

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2016, 09:47:21 PM »

I was going to day make sure to use high brass. I had some failure to ejects when I first got my KSG but I was using low brass birdshot which the KSG hates. When i made the switch to high brass all my problems went away. Also if you have the allen screw to the magazine selector lever screwed in too tight, it can definitely cause those issues as well. I stripped my KSG all the way down and put it back together and screwed the selector in too tight and I had the same issues mentioned, until I loosened it up a bit. Keep on shooting, I'm sure it's something small. If not KT will make it right! The KSG is a great gun.

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of happiness, are the essential principles of a free society. There is no substitute, or partial acceptance. -TJ
Landroverman
^

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2016, 09:19:50 PM »

I have a new KSG and mine has the same exact problem. Three hard, deliberate pumps before I could get a shell to chamber at the range today. There has to be a defect in this gun and I suspect that Kel-tec knows what it is but does not want to foot the bill to make it right. The gun has several unique characteristics that make me want to keep it but I have to wonder why this company is able to design such innovative products but cannot produce reliable products for its customers.

texasloneranger

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2016, 12:40:08 PM »

I had the same issues brand new out of the box. I called Kel-Tec, got an RMA and sent it back in. It was about a 2 week total turnaround for me, but not one single issue in over 500 rounds since it was returned.

Landroverman
^

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2016, 12:24:15 AM »

Thanks for the information. I will call Kel-Tec tomorrow and get authorization to send it back.
texasloneranger

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2016, 07:18:28 PM »

They should take care of you. I had my return label 20 min after speaking with them. Good luck, keep us updated.
Thaitlupa
New Posting Member

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2016, 12:26:54 PM »

I had the same issue with my ksg with low brass bird shot. I took the bolt out when I got home and looked at the extractor. I noticed that it was not as sharp or pronounced as I would normally see in an extractor.  The edges were more rounded and the surface area that it uses to grab the shell was small and kinda shallow. Sorry, I'm trying to describe it as best I could. Anyways, I ordered a new extractor from keltec and when I received it I compared it to my old extractor. I found that the new extractor had more surface area that it can use to grab the shells and it has a more sharper edge. I installed it and the problem went away. It looked like I had a first version of the extractor or it was simply worn out. I never had the problem again even with low brass or cheap shells from wallmart. I hope that helped 😬
xshifterkarter

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2016, 09:14:57 PM »

When mine was new, I had the same issues - failure to extract from the chamber. I was able to cure this by honing the chamber, first with a 400 then 800 grit chamber hone. It fires everything flawlessly now. I used a stuck shell as the "go" gauge when honing to let me know how far to go.
kamui34

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2016, 11:44:17 PM »

Figured I give an update:

Purchased a new extractor and the accompanying spring from Kel-Tec. Installation went without a hitch and also did a quick clean on the barrel and chamber.

Shot 56 rounds of Fiocchi buckshot (high brass). Only 2 failures due to me short stroking the action. Then I did a rapid dump with full tubes, no issue except for my shoulder.

All in all a success I would say.
texasloneranger

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2016, 07:16:39 PM »

LOL...I had to send mine back in for the 2nd time. Now I am getting constant FTF & FTE with high brass shells. Low Brass is running without any issue. Back to Kel-Tec it goes, I will update when I hear back.
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length