Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2017, 04:43:56 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  IWI Tavor & X-95
| | |-+  Tavor SAR Weight Loss Plan
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Tavor SAR Weight Loss Plan  (Read 6664 times)
Zemliak

« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2016, 10:00:41 PM »

People who is complaining on weight should look carefully on what is installed on it. Heavy large optics and mounts/raisers, replacement metal handgrips, huge flashlights never been used, front grips, bipods etc - all these parts are adding to your tavor a lot of weight. To shot well from stock Tavor you don't need anything, small red dot is maybe enough.
Rick53
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2016, 01:01:07 PM »

IWI quotes X95 weight of 7.13 but that's without mag.  Is the 7.9 of the Tavor including mag?
Sounds lighter Yet in all the X-95 videos I haven't heard anyone say wow this seems light compared to the Tavor. It would seem as though they'd notice that . I do with the RDB compared to the Tavor . So the 7OZ difference has to be barely noticeable.  Obviously just speculation
Brianschwarm

« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2016, 07:52:30 AM »

The OEM buttpad is 5.9 oz
The Manticore arms curved butt pad is 6.2 oz (and does not reduce your length of pull by "over an inch" it's barely half of an inch, and it's actually longer at the top.
semper paratus
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2016, 12:21:04 PM »

It's like I tell the wife when she is cold - go out side for a minute and then come back inside --- see how warm the house is --- Tavor weight issue -- just grab a m1a in a rogue chassis and run around the house a few times with it - then grab your Tavor --- se how light it is  Evil

Is comparing weigh of the two like comparing apples to oranges ?  just look at the difference in the bolts - a gas piston vs. DI - the weight of the plastic materials used in both

IMHO - where is the center of gravity located?  If you are standing holding the rifle up were do you want that weight? out past you hand or between your hand and shoulder
Hivedr.

« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2016, 02:09:18 PM »

I know this is an old thread but in the OPs first post he mentions the DOD trying to cut weights down. This is being done to many items including ammunition and rifle. Not because they are to heavy, but because the weight saved in one area of gear can be moved to another or new gear can be added to the mix. It is about combined TOTAL weight load of ALL gear carried including the rifle, which currently this combined weight is at a maximum for the average front line Solider or Marine.

Look at our Grandfathers (or to some Great Grandfathers) during WW2 and Korea with the M1 and its ammo load of 30-06, talk about heavy. They though did not have to wear heavy body armor or electronics so the total overall combined weight load carried was rather light by today's standards, though their rifle was far heavier with less ammunition.

The Tavor and X95 might not be super light but they are not heavy either. If our Grandfathers could carry and fight with M1's across Africa, Western Europe, the South Pacific and manage the weight so can a civilian defending his house or farm with a Tavor/X95.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 02:26:29 PM by Hivedr. » Logged
tf2addict

« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2016, 12:42:18 AM »

Why can't anyone confirm the 7.13 lb weight is correct or not?  Personally I don't believe it.  If it's incorrect it's pretty sad that IWI can't fix this on their website, the gun has only been out for a year now.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 12:46:49 AM by tf2addict » Logged
tf2addict

« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2016, 11:05:13 AM »

People who is complaining on weight should look carefully on what is installed on it. Heavy large optics and mounts/raisers, replacement metal handgrips, huge flashlights never been used, front grips, bipods etc - all these parts are adding to your tavor a lot of weight. To shot well from stock Tavor you don't need anything, small red dot is maybe enough.

Well come people want a magnified scope and you're going to push 10 lbs with that kind of setup, no way around it. 
RabbitSlayer
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2016, 12:33:19 PM »

I found that lifting weight is the best way to make any rifle feel lighter.
+1
With how compact this 8lb rifle is, you really don't need it lighter.
A little weight has advantages too.  Keeps sights in target at distance and reduces recoil.

''The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.''
-Thomas Jefferson
RabbitSlayer
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2016, 01:55:48 PM »

The rifle is also very well balanced as is.

Even with a big optic and a suppressor hanging off the front it balances better than the majority of traditional rifles.

Balances better than an sbr in my opinion as well.

With the majority of the rifle being polymer I don't know how or why y'all expect to get it to weigh less.

''The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.''
-Thomas Jefferson
Brianschwarm

« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2017, 10:19:24 PM »

Little things here and there can make a big difference.  Personally I'm hoping for a 9" 300blkout barrel with a 7" suppressor.  That would be efficient and do more with less weight.  A man can dream I guess.  So far I think the best way to take weight off is to get the slim buttpad, the short hand guard and the short rail.  Get leightweighg optics and don't slap a bunch of crap on the rifle.
RabbitSlayer
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2017, 10:58:09 PM »

not trying to troll or anything but...

The Tavor is about 26'' long, and all the weight is in the back.  My X95 with a rifle scope on it probably weighs 9.2lbs, and it is easier to handle than a 6lb 16'' barreled AR do to the way it is designed.

Less weight doesn't always mean it has better handling.  Unless you are rocking a 11.5'' SBR AR, you aren't going to make any full length ( 16+'' Barreled AR15 ) handle like a Tavor.

I can't slice the pie through a doorway or hallway with a 16'' barreled AR like I can with my Tavor.  Since the weight is in the back it is so nice to handle, I don't see the weight as an issue at all.

2 cents

-Thomas Jefferson
unsungboxer

« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2017, 02:25:37 AM »

I would like to see more lightweight parts, specifically for the X95.  I agree with the short rail, handguard, and buttpad mentioned above.  But id also like to see:

- Titanium or Aluminum nuts/bolts/pin kit
- light weight internals including bolt carrier and internal slide rails (sorry dont know the term for these)
- Stubby-er ar style pistol grip with shorter screw (which is unecessarily long)
- Titanium/Aluminum (folding) Charging handle & Rod
- Skeletonized Aluminum Mlok handguard
- Light barrel & Brake options
- List of deletable parts (i.e. the Barrel Donught)

The only place you really cant shave weight is the polymer chassis
Clarke-Sensei

« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2017, 02:42:26 AM »

I honestly don't like lowering the weight of internal parts like the bolt carrier and such when it comes to non-adjustable systems. I wouldn't sacrifice that reliability to lose weight.

Would it really be worth it though? The aftermarket isn't like the ARs, and titanium components and special lightweight BCGs can be rather excessive in price for minimal improvements. I couldn't imagine turning a 1500$+ rifle into what would likely turn into a 3000$+ rifle without optics.
NightStar
New Posting Member

« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2017, 03:51:43 AM »

There are a few things that you can do to make a sar tavor lighter. Now remember the CTAR's 3.18 kg (7.0 lb) unloaded weight is what I want.its doable but that's the limit, You need to understand that most OEM, second, and third party parts for the sar tavor are designed to add more oz's not take them away.

11.66 oz! or .72875  rounded up to 3/4ths of a lb!

or 7.17 lbs unloaded  total

With or without pmag I am not sure since IWI does not mention that officially on their main site
which makes sense since a unloaded CTAR is 7 lbs flat. I may have been conservative with the barrel weight reduction

Any one else wants to add anything to this topic feel free I am all out of ideas on how to make this lighter without dimpling an already thin barrel and I feel it would compromise it and negatively effect barrel harmonics.

its 3:50 AM EST I am signing off best of luck to you all on planning or finishing up your tavors diet and stay safe!

« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 03:25:57 PM by NightStar » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length