Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 18, 2017, 08:27:36 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Shotguns
| |-+  Standard Manufacturing's DP-12 & SKO-BULL
| | |-+  First range report on my new DP-12
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: First range report on my new DP-12  (Read 22801 times)
gunhand

« on: February 16, 2016, 10:56:57 AM »

For several months I have been looking at what I initially considered a another "novelty" shotgun, the Standard Manufacturing DP-12. When I saw the first photos of the double barrel pump shotgun, it screamed "Gun store Commando" to me. Then a couple of months ago, I saw a Youtube test video made by Larry Vickers. I know Larry, and consider him a pretty good judge of weaponry. Well Larry gave a DP-12 a serious looking at, and came away with a very positive review.

Well that review piqued my interest, so I thought I would maybe some day add one to my collection. After my LEO career, I have always been a fan of the venerable Remington 870. I consider it the go-to "King" of pump shotguns. Not to say I don't own others, because I do for sure, but the 870 has always been my SHTF shotgun.

In the last couple of years I was interested in both the Kel-Tec KSG, and the UTAS-15 bullpup design shotguns. I obtained later models of both, and they work well, but both have idiosyncrasies that make them more of a solid range toy more that a truly reliable defensive shotgun.

I got my DP-12, and yesterday I finally got to take it to the range for some shooting. The first thing I noticed about the DP-12 is the super smooth action right out of the box. I have a 870 custom done by the old Scattergun Technologies company, that's one of the slickest actions I've ever seen in an 870. The DP-12 rivals that action from the box.

It comes with no sights, just a 1913 spec rail. So I mounted a Primary Arms 2 MOA red dot for use at the range. I grabbed a couple of cases of ammo, off we went.

My friends and I put almost 600 rounds of all types and manufacturer of ammo through the DP-12, without a single malfunction of any kind. The action took a bit of getting use to, as it's pump once, fire twice. So you tend to initially fight to try and pump the gun after the first shot. Once you overcome that urge, the DP-12 becomes a very fast firing beast! Obviously not quite as fast as a semi-auto gun, but the DP-12 holds 16 rounds! By the end of the day we could all get to be very fast throwing lead on target.

The DP-12 also has a recoil reducing system in the butt stock, which is really a marvel. No one reported any tender or sore shoulders from a full day of firing. Of course the slightly over 9 pounds empty weight helped, but the recoil reducing system is awesome.

It is expensive, but the craftsmanship that goes into this shotgun is amazing. The receiver is milled from a solid billet of 7075 aluminium, and after taking it apart for a pre-range inspection, it is well crafted. I would rather pay $200-300 more than a Benelli, and have a shotgun that shots a bit slower, but is a much shorter weapons system, and holds double the rounds.

I will never turn away from my 870's, but they now have to share my time with the DP-12. If you're interested in a really in-depth review of the DP-12, check out Larry Vickers Youtube review.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 11:36:05 AM by gunhand » Logged
muleskinner
^

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2016, 08:59:10 PM »

Thanks for this range report, gunhand.  Have you taken it back to the range and if so do you have anything to add or amend?  I've been considering one of these - and given your background and experience, your description of the quality craftsmanship and overall impressions vs the other bullpup shotgun offerings and the ol' reliable 870 may prove to be the nudge that induces me to go ahead and get one...
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 09:02:04 PM by muleskinner » Logged
gunhand

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2016, 12:55:38 PM »

I have taken it out to the range again. I zeroed the red dot scope with slugs at 50 yards. I have still had nothing but absolute reliability from my DP-12
Bullydude

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2016, 12:43:15 AM »

Hella jealous here, I would give my left nut for one of these.

UTAS UTS-15 Marine
KawiKing
New Posting Member

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2016, 12:15:55 AM »

Nice review, I picked one up in December and love it, around same time ordered a sight from them but that just came in a week ago (had problems with their supply and switched to a new one) it's not a aimpoint quality but it does work really well and takes a beating well, I put on a Cheap barska during the wait that broke in three shots. If your interested in their sight it's not bad for the price.
rogertc1

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2016, 07:06:31 PM »

I too have several shotguns...have a burnt bronze Keltec KSG.  I have followed the DP 12 for a while and found every review glowing. Only $1300 for a tan one from BudsGun so I ordered it. Should be here by end of week or so.  Darn Holiday. I think I will be the only one with one in my area.   Grin
BullpupT
Bullpup Fanatic

AF&AM 02

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2016, 11:41:23 AM »

I too have several shotguns...have a burnt bronze Keltec KSG.  I have followed the DP 12 for a while and found every review glowing. Only $1300 for a tan one from BudsGun so I ordered it. Should be here by end of week or so.  Darn Holiday. I think I will be the only one with one in my area.   Grin

Awesome!!! Please post pics. I think its going to be my next purchase.
gunhand

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2016, 01:58:41 PM »

A VERY happy DP-12 owner!!

* 12744272_10205951194794774_3888973152641463198_n.jpg (218.86 KB, 960x960 - viewed 316 times.)
Hogdoc

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2016, 12:31:42 PM »

Fantastic review. My experiences exactly. Received mine June 3. Totally reliable. My go to gun.
rogertc1

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2016, 05:51:13 PM »

Same with mine...unlike my KSG....not so reliable.
thedave8

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2017, 10:49:33 AM »

Just picked up one in ODG.....can't wait to try it out!!!
Vee12

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2017, 09:16:16 PM »

Just received my DP-12 last week and got to shoot it yesterday. First, when I pulled that SOB out of the case...everybody on the firing line stopped what they were doing to have a look! It's a serious attention getter in more ways than one. The action was just as smooth as glass, I cannot say enough about how nice the action is on this weapon. The recoil system works great...very light recoil pulse for a 12gauge. I am super impressed by the build quality...made my buddy's KSG look and feel like a plastic toy. Runs great....not a single hickup in the 200rds we shot...this thing is the real deal.
Hogdoc

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2017, 01:06:20 PM »

For several months I have been looking at what I initially considered a another "novelty" shotgun, the Standard Manufacturing DP-12. When I saw the first photos of the double barrel pump shotgun, it screamed "Gun store Commando" to me. Then a couple of months ago, I saw a Youtube test video made by Larry Vickers. I know Larry, and consider him a pretty good judge of weaponry. Well Larry gave a DP-12 a serious looking at, and came away with a very positive review.

Well that review piqued my interest, so I thought I would maybe some day add one to my collection. After my LEO career, I have always been a fan of the venerable Remington 870. I consider it the go-to "King" of pump shotguns. Not to say I don't own others, because I do for sure, but the 870 has always been my SHTF shotgun.

In the last couple of years I was interested in both the Kel-Tec KSG, and the UTAS-15 bullpup design shotguns. I obtained later models of both, and they work well, but both have idiosyncrasies that make them more of a solid range toy more that a truly reliable defensive shotgun.

I got my DP-12, and yesterday I finally got to take it to the range for some shooting. The first thing I noticed about the DP-12 is the super smooth action right out of the box. I have a 870 custom done by the old Scattergun Technologies company, that's one of the slickest actions I've ever seen in an 870. The DP-12 rivals that action from the box.

It comes with no sights, just a 1913 spec rail. So I mounted a Primary Arms 2 MOA red dot for use at the range. I grabbed a couple of cases of ammo, off we went.

My friends and I put almost 600 rounds of all types and manufacturer of ammo through the DP-12, without a single malfunction of any kind. The action took a bit of getting use to, as it's pump once, fire twice. So you tend to initially fight to try and pump the gun after the first shot. Once you overcome that urge, the DP-12 becomes a very fast firing beast! Obviously not quite as fast as a semi-auto gun, but the DP-12 holds 16 rounds! By the end of the day we could all get to be very fast throwing lead on target.

The DP-12 also has a recoil reducing system in the butt stock, which is really a marvel. No one reported any tender or sore shoulders from a full day of firing. Of course the slightly over 9 pounds empty weight helped, but the recoil reducing system is awesome.

It is expensive, but the craftsmanship that goes into this shotgun is amazing. The receiver is milled from a solid billet of 7075 aluminium, and after taking it apart for a pre-range inspection, it is well crafted. I would rather pay $200-300 more than a Benelli, and have a shotgun that shots a bit slower, but is a much shorter weapons system, and holds double the rounds.

I will never turn away from my 870's, but they now have to share my time with the DP-12. If you're interested in a really in-depth review of the DP-12, check out Larry Vickers Youtube review.

Had my DP-12 for, going on a year now, and your post is right on with my experiences too. Love mine!
SemiAuto9

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2017, 07:27:26 PM »

I'm late to the party, but tag me in as a DP-12 owner as of a few minutes ago. Got a great price from Bud's on an OD Green model.
The Heretic

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2017, 11:28:55 AM »

Hella jealous here, I would give my left nut for one of these.

I don't know what the going market price for a left nut is, but somehow I don't think that will be enough.  Grin
Vaejovis carolinanus
New Posting Member

« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2017, 10:05:13 PM »

I ordered mine today after I had a mishap with a used one. It was the early production failure to load when pointed down. Fortunely I tried it at the FFL with snap caps and didnt accept. Skip forward a few months and I got a great deal from Tooele Shooting Supply and now I am giddy waiting for it to show up at FFL.
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length