Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 25, 2017, 06:30:12 PM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Shotguns
| |-+  UTAS UTS-15
| | |-+  UTS 15 magazine followers
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: UTS 15 magazine followers  (Read 3757 times)
ZebraK9

« on: December 25, 2015, 08:39:40 PM »

Merry Christmas all! I'm new to the forum and new to bullpups.

I just unwrapped my brand new Gen 3 UTS 15 to find one of the magazine followers way past where it should be. Closer inspection showed not just one but both magazine follows sheared off at the internal stop nub. This gun has never been fired and was bought brand new just a few weeks ago for christmas.

Anybody heard of this problem? The way the followers sheared off, it looks like a design flaw. Of the few metal parts on the gun, I would think these would be.
BlackWorksInc

« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2015, 09:44:41 PM »

Never seen then shear off to be honest with you. Haven't had any malfunctions related to the followers ever.

Talk with UTAS, they'll get you taken care of. Can you post a picture of what you're talking about?
ZebraK9

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2015, 10:12:15 PM »

Tried to post a pic but apparently I have to change the format.

Both followers are sheared at the stop or guide nub about 1/4 to 1/2 inch from the end.

Ill monkey with the pic and see what I can do
ZebraK9

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2015, 11:51:17 PM »

here are the followers

* followers.jpg (236.06 KB, 960x720 - viewed 256 times.)
BlackWorksInc

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2015, 01:58:29 AM »

Wow.. that's really weird, those fractures are very consistent. I wonder if it was an assembly error or something? My tubes have been perfectly fine, shoot UTAS an email with the pictures and call them Monday. Be interested to hear what comes of it.

It's not uncommon for followers to be made from polymer these days since they aren't really supposed to have THAT much force on them; but that's still very weird.
ZebraK9

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2015, 02:04:53 AM »

I know "stuff" happens, but this has really killed my enthusiasm for this gun.....bottom line, can I trust it in a fire fight. If it aint working out of the box, Not sure I can.

Thanks though, at least I kow this doesnt seem to be a common problem
BlackWorksInc

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2015, 02:11:51 AM »

I know "stuff" happens, but this has really killed my enthusiasm for this gun.....bottom line, can I trust it in a fire fight. If it aint working out of the box, Not sure I can.

Thanks though, at least I kow this doesnt seem to be a common problem

I get that completely, it's a tough call to be sure; I mean the factory is going to fix it for you and it's not at all a common failure (that I am aware of), but it did happen to YOUR weapon and at the end of the day all that matters is the weapon in your hand working properly. I'd say so far they've gotten pretty good on quality control compared to the early units (I have one I've had upgraded to Gen 3 specs), but it's up to you. I trust my UTS-15 as the only issue I had was a slightly abnormal rate of misfeeds, which has long since been corrected and the weapon has been functioning flawlessly. But there was that, "hmm... CAN I trust this?" feeling early on.
ZebraK9

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2015, 02:07:58 PM »

Okay, talked to customer service this morning. New followers on the way! Heres the explanation. If one were to push the followers forward and close the covers with no round, the followers snap forward with no resistance. They said that will do the damage as I described. Basically "dry loading" is bad.

A word of caution....I bought this gun new. I took it out to photograph it and put it away for christmas. That means someone in between in the retail chain probably played with it and did this. If you're buying one, check the followers.

The best thing was I mentioned that I bought the laser/ light through Amazon and it was missing the allen wrenches. They are sending them as well. Thats cool because I technically didnt buy it from UTAS but they are making it right.
Mikestjames
New Posting Member

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2016, 03:33:54 AM »

I have experienced the same problem, on the left side only. Difference: I may have done it by doing what is described by ZebraK9; pushing follower forward, then closing cover. I love the weapon. Range fired once (purchased January 16), fired two series of ten rounds, 5 each magazine in each series, 00 Buck, no malfunctions of any kind, laser dead on at 10 yards. I don't remember any caution against "dry loading", but I may have missed it. I really believe these pieces are too fragile and should be metal, or a stronger polycarb. Calling UTAS tomorrow to see how they treat me! I also bought the UTAS green laser/light, and was unable to afix the switch to the receiver with the provided screws (too short) until I had filed down inside of the receiver every so slightly to allow the screws to engage in the switch body. This was the SECOND laser/light unit. The first one I received had obviously been used & returned (marked, scuffed) and only produced laser on bother sides of the switch, no flashlight. Thanks for the forum! Very helpful...I just Googled "UTS-15 broken magazine follower", popped right up.

* IMG_20160216_224312.jpg (428.91 KB, 2048x1152 - viewed 198 times.)

* IMG_20160216_231823.jpg (95.75 KB, 648x902 - viewed 198 times.)
BlackWorksInc

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2016, 03:47:22 AM »

Hmm... how weird. I probably have "dry loaded" the UTS-15 a lot since I bought it years ago since I like playing with the mechanics of it; I'm curious if there's a "bad batch" of these things as mine didn't show any signs of cracking?
Mikestjames
New Posting Member

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2016, 01:14:17 PM »

When I called UTAS this morning, the guy immediately knew what I was talking about and made the same admonition about "dry loading" given to ZebraK9. They're aware that this should have been in the manual, and I'm sure they plan to include it if they reprint in future. They were very nice...they didn't want my pictures or my purchase receipt. I took the pictures before removing the followers from the magazines. When I removed them, I could see that the right was fractured as well as the left...it just hadn't separated into two pieces yet. So UTAS is sending two (2) followers. I still think the pieces should be re-designed, but I'm happy UTAS is responsive and helpful.
ZebraK9

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2016, 05:14:09 PM »

I've fired my gun once, but it was a long day! No issues at all with buckshot, slugs, or target loads. I have to say, despite my issue I love this thing!

I know I probably shouldn't say this out loud, but could not the fix be as simple as a "buffer" where the follower makes contact with the gun to keep the guide tab/ stop (I'm guessing at the real name of the part) from hitting whatever it stops against? I'm talking in principle like the idea behind a recoil buffer that you can get for some weapons. Just a piece of rubber (or something) to absorb the shock and not allow the tab to make full speed contact........I'm not a gunsmith, but it seems it should be an easy fix.
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length