Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 14, 2018, 07:37:25 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  IWI TAVOR
| | |-+  IWI Tavor SAR & X-95
| | | |-+  Introducing the Tavor FLEx Forward. The forward assist for your hammer!
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Introducing the Tavor FLEx Forward. The forward assist for your hammer!  (Read 23860 times)
Circle10
^

« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2015, 12:16:45 AM »

The forward assist is an outdated appendage from the 60's before chambers were chrome lined.  Current training doctrine omits its use.  Guess nothing is safe from Gucci gear. 

If you accidentally hit the tavor charging handle it may come out of battery.  The only way to put it back into battery is to pull the charging handle rearward so that it has enough spring compression to send the bolt carrier forward with enough momentum to rotate the bolt fully into its locked position.  The forward assist in my opinion would be a good addition to the tavor.

But I guess if it doesn't shoot, then chamber a new round and keep going, but it would be a crappy surprise to expect the first shot to go off when it doesn't.
Darkamek

« Reply #41 on: December 17, 2015, 10:22:18 PM »

Any update on when this might be available ?
xdmikey

« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2015, 08:53:29 AM »

Love the color scheme on that Tavor, looks like something straight out of Warhammer or Quake. Shocked

I want an AR done like the one above the Tavor!
xdmikey

« Reply #43 on: December 18, 2015, 08:56:17 AM »

Now I see the Tavor you mean.
I like that one, too!
unterladen

« Reply #44 on: December 18, 2015, 04:23:31 PM »

Looking forward to 2016 for this.......
AverageJo

« Reply #45 on: December 19, 2015, 09:27:11 AM »

Has anyone ever used FA on their AR??? Anyone?Huh?    Why force it if it does not fit.
Just charge a new round and you are good to go.

Every training I ever attended direct to charge a new round. Weird.
TNC
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #46 on: December 19, 2015, 12:20:27 PM »

Has anyone ever used FA on their AR??? Anyone?Huh?    Why force it if it does not fit.
Just charge a new round and you are good to go.

Every training I ever attended direct to charge a new round. Weird.

You're right on the "rack the CH" scenario in most instances where there's a possible malfunction.  However, the Tavor in particular has a remote possibility of bumping the CH and the classic "riding the bolt into battery" element than a FA would address.  When I say "remote possibility" on the bumping the CH, this applies to most shooters who will never be betting their life on their rifle or losing an important competition on time.  You mention classes and training, and I would agree that if you're not sure why your rifle just failed to fire, you'd be better off racking the CH in hopes of seeing an unspent round eject and knowing you just chambered a fresh ready-to-fire round.  I say "seeing" only in the unlikely scenario of a squib, and unless you're in an immediate life-and-death situation, it's not a bad idea to see the round that just got ejected still has a bullet on top of the case.  Anyway, that's fodder for another discussion.

Even though an FA can be helpful in chambering a round into a carbon fouled chamber, it's better to have a rifle not get to that stage of fouling obviously.  What some/many of us want in a FA on a Tavor is the CH getting bumped in barricade shooting or such and not having to resort to fully recharging the weapon.  Also there's a possible scenario where quietness is desired where you charge an empty chamber.  You're creating the classic "ride the CH into battery" scenario, but you're doing it on purpose.  With a FA you can, as quiet as possible, ride the bolt home and then push your FA.  I'm talking about conditions where you know your gun is not in battery, and you know why...just bumped the CH on that door jam or rode the CH home for noise issues.  The last 20-hour tactical class that I attended with my Tavor, I didn't encounter a bumped CH or have to perform a "quiet reload/rechamber".  But the SWAT instructor made us create an out of battery condition by riding the bolt home and then dealing with it.  For the AR guys, and all of us, the general rule was to rack the CH for a fresh round.  However, in the quiet building entry scenario in the "shoot house", the AR guys just pushed their FA, which to be honest doesn't always guarantee full battery either...but it is an option. 

Unlike the AR, the Tavor has an exposed CH.  The bumping out of battery is the more likely scenario, and a FA would be a good feature.  I have a Steyer AUG.  If you bumped that CH out of battery, all you do is push the CH back into battery.  The Tavor doesn't have that option. 
bluemax_1

« Reply #47 on: March 28, 2016, 11:06:41 PM »

Is this available yet?

I ran into an odd scenario at the range where a forward assist 'might' have helped.

It was an indoor range that mandated using Fiocchi frangible .223 for .223/5.56 rifles. The Tavor hated this stuff with at least 10-15 FTF, FTE and double feeds in just 100 rounds.

I believe it was one of the double feeds that caused the issue. I think it crushed one of those frangibles in the chamber, which jammed the next round in not allowing the bolt to go into battery. When I tried racking the charging handle, it didn't eject the round.

I ended up needing to call the range officer over and he had to use a cleaning rod to knock it out from the front.

When I peered in the chamber, I saw fragments of the frangible bullet. The round that had been jammed was whole and undamaged.

I think if I'd had a forward assist, I might have been able to push the bolt enough for the extractor to grab the round without the bolt slamming into it and jamming in tighter.

Max
TNC
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #48 on: March 28, 2016, 11:25:03 PM »

Max, an FA isn't really to address "jams".  Other than a more than usual buildup of carbon...like running a suppressor for quite a few rounds...that might cause a "slight" hindrance of going into battery, the FA shouldn't be used to force rounds into the chamber.  Any particles or objects big enough to cause a failure to go into battery under a normal bolt drop or normal cycling should be cleared and cleaned at that point.  The FA is ideally used more commonly like the conditions in my post above.
bluemax_1

« Reply #49 on: March 29, 2016, 12:20:28 AM »

Max, an FA isn't really to address "jams".  Other than a more than usual buildup of carbon...like running a suppressor for quite a few rounds...that might cause a "slight" hindrance of going into battery, the FA shouldn't be used to force rounds into the chamber.  Any particles or objects big enough to cause a failure to go into battery under a normal bolt drop or normal cycling should be cleared and cleaned at that point.  The FA is ideally used more commonly like the conditions in my post above.
My intention wasn't to use it to force the bolt/round into battery, it was to get the extractor to clip onto the lip of the cartridge so I could extract it without racking the handle allowing the bcg to slam home wedging the round in tighter.

I suppose I could have partially racked the CH instead of racking it fully, to see how much/little force it would take for the extractor to engage, but with an FA, I can just push till I feel the click, then rack the CH to extract the round.

Max

Gear Head
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #50 on: March 29, 2016, 10:29:33 AM »

The FLEx forward will be this summer sometime. We have been concentrating on another big project that we hope to release soon.

The second Amendment is the last line of defense for the 1st.

Gear Head Works' products are leading the way in innovative designs. Click the globe icon below my Avatar to visit www.gearheadworks.com
Border Dave
^

« Reply #51 on: November 03, 2018, 03:39:28 PM »

Did this project die?
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length