Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 14, 2018, 06:59:14 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  IWI TAVOR
| | |-+  IWI Tavor SAR & X-95
| | | |-+  Introducing the Tavor FLEx Forward. The forward assist for your hammer!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Introducing the Tavor FLEx Forward. The forward assist for your hammer!  (Read 23859 times)
BullpupT
Bullpup Fanatic

AF&AM 02

« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2015, 03:39:50 PM »

Yes please include the specs for the scallop cuts. I might be able to do it myself.
PattonWasRight

« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2015, 03:50:43 PM »

Yes please include the specs for the scallop cuts. I might be able to do it myself.
Not the purpose of the question. Looking to understand what % of depth the cuts are of the total thickness of the plate.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Just Your Average Jewish Redneck.
BullpupT
Bullpup Fanatic

AF&AM 02

« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2015, 04:00:09 PM »

Not the purpose of the question. Looking to understand what % of depth the cuts are of the total thickness of the plate.
Well... it was the purpose of my question. They look to be the same size cuts as an AR15 bolt carrier.
PattonWasRight

« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2015, 04:18:15 PM »

Well... it was the purpose of my question. They look to be the same size cuts as an AR15 bolt carrier.
I guess then I would ask you to consider the time & testing & trial & error of the company that posted this upcoming product. You're pretty much asking how to go around them on the same thread they're using to announce the product.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Just Your Average Jewish Redneck.
Gear Head
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2015, 04:33:01 PM »

Nice, simple solution.

A couple of questions ...
1) the only machining are the crescent cuts, correct?
2) what depth are the cuts relative to the thickness of the bolt carrier metal?

Thanks
That's correct. The cuts are very shallow compared to the amount of "meat" right there.

The second Amendment is the last line of defense for the 1st.

Gear Head Works' products are leading the way in innovative designs. Click the globe icon below my Avatar to visit www.gearheadworks.com
Gear Head
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2015, 04:36:00 PM »

The bolt carrier is hardened steel so it requires carbide tooling and coolant. This will not work with a Dremel modification. I'm mot implying that you would use use a Dremel but I wanted to let people know it's not something most can do at home.

Gear Head Works' products are leading the way in innovative designs. Click the globe icon below my Avatar to visit www.gearheadworks.com
BullpupT
Bullpup Fanatic

AF&AM 02

« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2015, 08:22:10 AM »

I have been a gunsmith for many years and have access to the proper equipment. Thanks for the info Gearhead, your photos speaks volumes anyway. I could use the photo for reference... I see the big issue being the proper placement of the cuts. The last cut or "locking" cut is the most important because that is the groove the FA will use to bring the bolt into battery incase there is a problem with lockup due to dirt or some other issue.

I think I have a good measurement from your pictures... No need to give specific numbers but I do appreciate the "shallow" description. I really like your stuff and the way it looks/feels compared to Manticore products. Will you offer the Flex/FA assist without the machining service?

Do you know if the bolt carrier it through hardened? Will there be issues with softer metal inside the scallop cuts? Just curious...  More than likely its through hardened but I know some companies surface hardened some components because the softer internal metal absorbs impact and shock better. Glock slides are almost diamond hard for the first few millimeters due to the Tenifer treatment, but the internal steel is much softer.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 08:31:32 AM by BullpupT » Logged
jdwboy

« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2015, 08:32:52 AM »

To me, that looks like a solution looking for a problem.

only my 2 cents..
logan5
^

« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2015, 10:36:30 AM »

or just something that is really cool ...
TNC
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2015, 11:44:34 AM »

To me, that looks like a solution looking for a problem.

only my 2 cents..

The indentations are in an unobtrusive location on a component that is extremely robust in that specific location.  This methodology isn't a new concept either.  It's tried-and-true on the AR platform.  That specific area on the BCG is not a high stress area.  Like Gearhead mentioned, this isn't the thread discussing the need or lack of need of a FA on the Tavor.  The beauty of Gearhead's mod in this instance is that one doesn't have to pursue this mod for their personal rifle.  And if in the future if IWI were to implement something like this in their production weapons, it's an element that can be used or not used as the user sees fit.  With the Tavor's highly exposed charging handle, this is a nice and simple solution.
Gear Head
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2015, 12:37:43 PM »

I have been a gunsmith for many years and have access to the proper equipment. Thanks for the info Gearhead, your photos speaks volumes anyway. I could use the photo for reference... I see the big issue being the proper placement of the cuts. The last cut or "locking" cut is the most important because that is the groove the FA will use to bring the bolt into battery incase there is a problem with lockup due to dirt or some other issue.

I think I have a good measurement from your pictures... No need to give specific numbers but I do appreciate the "shallow" description. I really like your stuff and the way it looks/feels compared to Manticore products. Will you offer the Flex/FA assist without the machining service?

Do you know if the bolt carrier it through hardened? Will there be issues with softer metal inside the scallop cuts? Just curious...  More than likely its through hardened but I know some companies surface hardened some components because the softer internal metal absorbs impact and shock better. Glock slides are almost diamond hard for the first few millimeters due to the Tenifer treatment, but the internal steel is much softer.

You can use an AR15 carrier notches for reference. It cut hard for the ones I did to the depth I cut them at.

I haven't considered selling them separately but I'm not opposed to it so long as there is an understanding that people mill their carriers at their own risk.

BullpupT
Bullpup Fanatic

AF&AM 02

« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2015, 02:42:35 PM »

You can use an AR15 carrier notches for reference. It cut hard for the ones I did to the depth I cut them at.

I haven't considered selling them separately but I'm not opposed to it so long as there is an understanding that people mill their carriers at their own risk.

Thanks Gearhead...Definitely feel where you coming from when you reference milling at your own risk. and not wanting people screaming at you once they screw up their own bolt carrier. I totally understand that my work is my responsibility.

I have given people advice and information many times on 1911 trigger jobs only to have them come to me upset because they attempted to do it themselves. Ham fists need not apply!
Most of them remove to much material or they go the cheap way out by not using a jig. Some remove so much material, the hammer rides the slide home... seen that a number of times.
Some don't cut the proper angle and use a 90 degree instead of a slope. Most of the time the hammer doesn't need to be touched, they just need a relief angle cut on the sear... Never the less it always end up being my fault lol.... I feel your pain buddy and I would never hold you accountable for my screw up.

Thanks again for the information...
Ded-Eye0311

Infantry Rifleman

« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2015, 05:05:43 PM »

Since my Tavor is going to be my new EDC rifle replacing my SBR I want the FA. Thank you so much for the work you have put into your company and products. I will be checking in periodically for updates on the release. I have one question. I'm assuming since the FA in the picture installs just like the ejection port cover that it is switchable to either side. Call me crazy but will you be machining one with the gear head logo upside down for the lefties???

0311: To locate, close with, and destroy the enemy by fire or maneuver or to repel the enemy assault by fire or close combat.
Gear Head
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2015, 07:33:48 PM »

Since my Tavor is going to be my new EDC rifle replacing my SBR I want the FA. Thank you so much for the work you have put into your company and products. I will be checking in periodically for updates on the release. I have one question. I'm assuming since the FA in the picture installs just like the ejection port cover that it is switchable to either side. Call me crazy but will you be machining one with the gear head logo upside down for the lefties???

This is something I have put some thought into. The original FLEx doesn't have the skull so looks correct on either side. This may be the route I go. Or I could put the logo at 90 degrees so it always is upright when the rifle is pointed down or slung. That is a minor issue though. The greater issue is working out all the dimensions on both sides so that it works. But I will only be machining one side of the carrier when the order is placed.

poodle shooter

« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2015, 11:17:55 PM »

Have you a target date for release of this FA?

www.gtr5.org
Gear Head
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2015, 02:31:00 AM »

The goal is before the end of the year. We have a whole lot going on right now with other projects and machine time is scarce at best.

poodle shooter

« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2015, 11:56:56 AM »

The goal is before the end of the year. We have a whole lot going on right now with other projects and machine time is scarce at best.

Thanks for the update, looking forward (no pun intended) to having this essential device.

www.gtr5.org
Rahatto
^

« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2015, 11:09:35 AM »

I saw the first leaked phots and I'm still a fan. I did have a question of possible purchase option. Is it possible if I could just buy a completed modified carrier and forward assist from you that way if I ever needed to get my rifle worked on I still had my warranty with a quick parts change?
 I know if you choose to offer this option it would be the most expensive one, but to guys like me it would make us more comfortable modifying our rifle. 

- If you are always looking at the big picture, you are never
concentrating on the front sight post.
- The well of stupidity has no bottom.
Gear Head
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2015, 02:06:47 AM »

I saw the first leaked phots and I'm still a fan. I did have a question of possible purchase option. Is it possible if I could just buy a completed modified carrier and forward assist from you that way if I ever needed to get my rifle worked on I still had my warranty with a quick parts change?
 I know if you choose to offer this option it would be the most expensive one, but to guys like me it would make us more comfortable modifying our rifle. 

The problem with this is if several people wanted to do this, I would start running out of carriers to modify causing the entire process to be more costly and time consuming for everyone. Not just the ones who want the extra carrier. If this was a real concern, maybe pick up a used carrier or order a replacement from IWI to have the modification done to first. That way you control the extra costs involved.

bigkracka

« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2015, 11:10:06 PM »

The forward assist is an outdated appendage from the 60's before chambers were chrome lined.  Current training doctrine omits its use.  Guess nothing is safe from Gucci gear. 
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length