Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 15, 2018, 06:52:01 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  IWI TAVOR
| | |-+  IWI Tavor SAR & X-95
| | | |-+  M21-AIM [Augmented Illumination Module] Project
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print
Author Topic: M21-AIM [Augmented Illumination Module] Project  (Read 38926 times)
thmpr
^

« Reply #40 on: August 28, 2015, 10:04:13 AM »

I WILL buy one if the price is right... let me know...

Thanks!
007Bond

« Reply #41 on: August 28, 2015, 01:51:33 PM »

Me too
ToneDeath

« Reply #42 on: August 28, 2015, 09:28:31 PM »

Great idea. If they aren't too costly maybe I'll get one
to cannibalize and see if it may work some way on my
Trijicon Reflex II  RX06 12.9 MOA Amber Triangle Reticle sight.
paolo.orange

« Reply #43 on: August 31, 2015, 03:44:54 PM »

I would surely buy one. It looks much much better engineered...
Keep us informed.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 08:56:31 PM by Sgt_P » Logged

Grace under fire, business as usual.
007Bond

« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2015, 12:38:19 AM »

Yeah whenever it available lemme know. I'm in and ready to buy
RadScorpius
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2015, 12:47:57 AM »

I like the idea, potentially replace the tritium.
Phillysteak527

« Reply #46 on: September 18, 2015, 03:32:17 AM »

If you were wondering if this project was still alive here is your answer! Starting a company is a fantastic experieince but it's a huge amount of work, I wish I had more time to work on my various Firearm projects; I'm in the process of hiring a few more engineers (If you're in AZ feel free to PM me) which will hopefully free me up to work on stuff like the M21-AIM more often.

Now for the update! After testing several different coin-cell operated prototypes it became clear that this option isn't good for a rugged device that would have enough battery capacity to be useful. I then decided to explore using a CR123 cell and after printing several prototypes found that mounting the CR123 to the side of the M21 obstructed the FOV too much. Below are images of the current prototype, it's a bit hard to see the buttons since I had to print all the parts in the same color (More colors on the way for next time). This design is broken down into 2 parts: The first component is the "remote" which attaches to the M21, it houses the LED's some circuitry, and the brightness adjustment buttons (Pressing either button will wake the M21-AIM up if it's sleeping). The Second part of the device is the battery holder which also houses the light sensor, associated circuits, and batteries. The battery housing is currently being 3D printed but I wanted to share images of the remote.

Render of the Remote with buttons:

Mounted on a M21 (Wires Sheathed with Paracord jacket):

Buttons are big enough for sausage fingers, they are slightly recessed to prevent accidental presses:

Now for some actual tests, I mounted a segment of MAGPUL accessory rail to a tripod to try and get better on/off pictures to show how much of an improvement the M21-AIM provides. The first Image below is just the M21 with the M21-AIM mounted but not illuminated, front and top light collecting areas open to envirnoment to let the M21 collect as much natural light as possible. Lights in the room were off and the room was dark, this was done at around 4:00pm AZ time. I zoomed in a bit more on this one so that you can find the reticle. (Hint: You might need to look at the zoomed-in pics first):

Now for the next image I covered all of the light collecting surfaces on the M21 with electrical tape to simulate a worst-case scenario. In the image the M21 is operating off of the tritium and M21-AIM without collecting any ambient light from the room:

Now the same two images but zoomed to center the reticle:
M21-AIM Off

M21-AIM On

I'm working on the battery compartment now, planning to mount it directly to the heat-shield. I will upload images of that once I've had time to finish 3D-printing and assembling it. Here is the M21-AIM mounted to my TAR, i'm trying to make the battery/electronics housing fit into the overall style of the weapon as best I can.

I can bring down the overall thickness of the remote once I've had a chance to price out PCB's.

Si vis pacem, para bellum

CEO/Chief Engineer - www.TheSaltedEarth.com
Wildcat Birdie

« Reply #47 on: September 18, 2015, 09:11:09 AM »

Now if only you were in Wisconsin. I am an engineer, and I would love to have a job that lets me work with firearms.
007Bond

« Reply #48 on: September 18, 2015, 11:31:25 AM »

Thx for the update. I will definitely buying one of these
thmpr
^

« Reply #49 on: September 19, 2015, 12:49:37 AM »

I cant wait!!!!!
Phillysteak527

« Reply #50 on: September 19, 2015, 07:23:01 PM »

Now if only you were in Wisconsin. I am an engineer, and I would love to have a job that lets me work with firearms.

Well if you ever decide to move to the furnace let me know! It's only 104 today!

cfl4rat
^

« Reply #51 on: September 20, 2015, 09:36:05 AM »

In 10+ years when the tritium dies will this keep my M21 up and running?
Phillysteak527

« Reply #52 on: September 20, 2015, 04:34:20 PM »

@cfl4rat

Yes, that's the main reason for the switch from Coincell batteries to CR123 cells, you'll get 172 hours of illumination on max brightness (350 Hours out on half brightness) out of a single CR123. I started having Tritium anxiety when I got the sight, it's amazing how fast time flies as I have 8 years left on the tritium to date.

cfl4rat
^

« Reply #53 on: September 20, 2015, 05:25:45 PM »

Very good thanks.
MPietrantonio

« Reply #54 on: September 20, 2015, 08:45:08 PM »

Will this fit an older model m21 with the continuous opening and no separations.
Phillysteak527

« Reply #55 on: September 20, 2015, 11:17:09 PM »

That is an excellent question.

Is this how the old version looks?

If so it should still work considering the fiber optic mounting screw looks to be in the same place. Hard to tell however without having one to test the M21-AIM with.

Border Dave
^

« Reply #56 on: October 21, 2015, 11:12:12 PM »

Any updates?
Phillysteak527

« Reply #57 on: October 22, 2015, 01:40:10 AM »

Alright my Inbox was filling up, Border Dave broke the camels back... so here is an update.

JUST moved into my first house so it's been a bit crazy, finally was able to get the 3D printer set up in my new office and it's currently chugging away at the newest prototype for the M21-AIM. I'm hoping to have it put together this weekend for testing, expect an update before Monday!

Border Dave
^

« Reply #58 on: October 22, 2015, 01:58:26 AM »

Alright my Inbox was filling up, Border Dave broke the camels back... so here is an update.

JUST moved into my first house so it's been a bit crazy, finally was able to get the 3D printer set up in my new office and it's currently chugging away at the newest prototype for the M21-AIM. I'm hoping to have it put together this weekend for testing, expect an update before Monday!

You have a PM.

Nevermind.  I thought you were in Philly.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 02:01:23 AM by Border Dave » Logged
Phillysteak527

« Reply #59 on: October 26, 2015, 06:02:56 PM »

Border Dave - I don't live in Philly, My screen name is derived from my love for Cheese Whiz saturated meat and onion heroes.

Update:
Here is a render of the battery and control module for the M21-AIM, it fits a single CR123 battery (Or Rechargeable version) and is designed to be mounted on either the 45 degree rail or a flattop rail and keeps the battery from impacting your FOV. The power module has the master on/off button for when the weapon will be stored for extended periods of time. I'm still working on the connector design and will be testing the device on both my IDF Tavor and AR-15 once the 3D printer finishes.

Here is the mockup mounted on the Tavor:

Still a ton of work to do, but i'm hoping to have a few pre-production units built before December.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length