Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2018, 08:04:05 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  IWI TAVOR
| | |-+  IWI Tavor SAR & X-95
| | | |-+  M21-AIM [Augmented Illumination Module] Project
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print
Author Topic: M21-AIM [Augmented Illumination Module] Project  (Read 41368 times)
RubyRhod

« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2015, 09:18:29 PM »

I've decided not to pay for Obamacare and, rather, purchase something that will keep me healthier and happier, i.e., one of you enhancement devices.  Keep up the good work!
Phillysteak527

« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2015, 09:27:58 PM »

I've been swamped getting ready for a product demo at the Vancouver Tactical Training Center this week and i guess posting slipped my mind, but pics as promised!

I didn't have the new housing on hand for my range trip on Tuesday (Twenty Tuesday is a company tradition) so I put the unit together with the first housing I printed. The LED's were set to 25% brightness to see if there was a meaningful difference. First the pics!

PCB - The underside has the LED's and more electrical hardware

M21-AIM Assembled and mounted

Triangle Reticle un-illuminated

Triangle Reticle with 25% illumination

The camera doesn't do it justice, the tip of the triangle is dramatically easier to see even at 25% brightness on the M21-AIM. I'll hopefully have the new housings by the time I get back from Canada so I can fully assemble the AIM and test it at 100% brightness. Something I noticed immediately was that my POI dropped substantially which I attribute to the tip of the triangle being properly visible, I re-zeroed the rifle with the illuminator on and could ring the 6" 200 yard and 300 yard steels without issues. The M21-AIM also really helps with acquiring the reticle with both eyes open, normally I have trouble seeing it with both eyes open (Maybe I just have a big head?) and I'm excited to see how well I can see it with a higher brightness.

After the first range trip:
  • I am going to re-design the housing to use a CR123a rechargeable battery, it will give over 5x the lifespan over the two coincells and will also increase the max overall brightness of the device. I'm going to 3D print a few mockups with the battery in different positions/orientations to minimize FOV interruptions
  • I'm going to double the max available brightness
  • The ambient light sensor will be relocated to make room for a 3 button physical menu (Change settings / turn on/off, change brightness on the fly)
  • The M21-AIM needs a few geometry tweaks to lose less light from reflection against the fiber optic cover

I mounted my second M21 onto a tripod so that I can take better pictures since handling the TAR-21 and snapping shots is a bit awkward. I'll hopefully have time to wire up a CR123 and up the brightness to take some illuminated vs. un-illuminated pics this coming weekend.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 09:31:53 PM by Phillysteak527 » Logged

Si vis pacem, para bellum

CEO/Chief Engineer - www.TheSaltedEarth.com
Aussie E
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2015, 09:59:14 PM »

Thanks for the update, appears your project is full steam ahead.

AE
cfl4rat
^

« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2015, 12:22:15 AM »

VERY nice! Any idea on price point? I think a group buy is in order Smiley

BTW how'd you get a triangle reticle on your IDF?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 12:28:14 AM by cfl4rat » Logged
Phillysteak527

« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2015, 12:40:58 AM »

Thanks cfl4rat!

Don't all the IDF versions come with a Triangle? I purchased mine off of gunbroker since I couldn't find any in the valley, I could have sworn I read that they come with the Triangle standard. I have a 4.3 MOA dot on my AR-15 which i've used out to 400 yards, the Triangle is really growing on me.

I'd have to get a quote for the machined housing and PCB fab before I'd have a solid price point, but It will be sub $120.

EDIT: Just checked the IDF versions on Gunbroker and none of them have Triangle reticles.... so now i'm confused too lol. Curious of mine was a special order or if they just ship a certain number of rifles with each type of available reticle?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 12:43:39 AM by Phillysteak527 » Logged

cfl4rat
^

« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2015, 12:45:17 AM »

Mine is the bullseye, I thought that was the only option but I haven't followed the Tavor much after its initial release..

I remember putting off getting a IDF because I preferred the triangle.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 12:46:56 AM by cfl4rat » Logged
Awiner

« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2015, 10:51:17 AM »

Interesting project.  Interested
Depending on final price.

The IDF models have come with both types of reticles.  Some have bullseye and some have triangle.  No method to the madness.
Phillysteak527

« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2015, 01:38:48 AM »

Alright I have good news, and bad news. The good news is the 3D printed Stainless Steel housing came in and I had time to assemble it. Fitment wise I really love the low-profile nature of using the coincell batteries, if only they had sufficient capacity. The bad news is my personal 3D printer is down awaiting a few replacement parts, so I wont be able to print the new mockups until after the NTOA show that I'm attending next week. Allow me to distract you with some Photos:

I also Lied there is more bad news.... I wont be able to get the PCB's up and running until after to the NTOA show. But the silver lining is if anyone on here is coming to the show you can check out the housing design at booth #734 and try out some cool dry-fire training targets while you're there.

coolhand77
^

« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2015, 07:59:35 AM »

if I didn't have an MOR, I would want one of these...if I ever get an M21 I am definitely giving you a call
jrwhitt

« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2015, 10:46:24 AM »

I'd buy one when available - love the slim profile
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 04:11:54 PM by Sgt_P » Logged
cfl4rat
^

« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2015, 09:11:15 PM »

You can DEFINITELY put me down for one.
BullpupT
Bullpup Fanatic

AF&AM 02

« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2015, 09:52:49 AM »

That is one slick little unit. Thank you very much for sharing the process. I look forward to seeing the end result of all your hard work. It looks sooooo much better than those little archery lights people use now to brighten the reticle.

It will probably cost more than the archery light units, but some might not mind the price of admission.

To be fair the WOR kit does work and it is an inexpensive alternative.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 03:04:56 PM by BullpupT » Logged
Prominus

« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2015, 01:15:29 PM »

In for 1 when its out.
larryz

« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2015, 06:51:08 PM »

Do you need some development money?
Phillysteak527

« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2015, 01:24:06 AM »

Hey thanks for asking about development funds, currently It's coming out of my own pocket since it's a side project; If the product ends up having legs I'll probably work it into my companies product line-up.

I doubt there are enough M21 owners out there to warrant doing something like an indiegogo (I could be very wrong about that though). The current path that I can see is to get the prototype up and working, do some field trials, and then try to get on the firearm blog or similar to gauge interest. Minimum viable production run is going to be somewhere between 80-100 units.

kwisatz

« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2015, 07:14:08 AM »

In for 1 when its out.
+1
007Bond

« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2015, 08:00:10 AM »

What's the price if we wanna buy one?
007Bond

« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2015, 08:02:51 AM »

And maybe I missed this but how does it mount on to the M21? Does it require extra drilling holes into the m21 housing?
Phillysteak527

« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2015, 05:45:49 PM »

And maybe I missed this but how does it mount on to the M21? Does it require extra drilling holes into the m21 housing?

The Fiber optic ring and surround are attached to the M21 with 3 button head screws. To install the current rev M21-AIM you remove the left button head screw from the M21, place the M21-AIM unit onto the M21 housing (It will locate in 2 places), and re-install the button head screw.

larryz

« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2015, 09:43:05 PM »

Hey thanks for asking about development funds, currently It's coming out of my own pocket since it's a side project; If the product ends up having legs I'll probably work it into my companies product line-up.

I doubt there are enough M21 owners out there to warrant doing something like an indiegogo (I could be very wrong about that though). The current path that I can see is to get the prototype up and working, do some field trials, and then try to get on the firearm blog or similar to gauge interest. Minimum viable production run is going to be somewhere between 80-100 units.
Well, sign me up for one, and if you need some pre-production $$$ I can kick some in.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length