Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 21, 2018, 12:50:48 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  IWI TAVOR
| | |-+  IWI Tavor SAR & X-95
| | | |-+  M21-AIM [Augmented Illumination Module] Project
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print
Author Topic: M21-AIM [Augmented Illumination Module] Project  (Read 36332 times)
Phillysteak527

« on: July 06, 2015, 04:05:22 AM »

My Tavor is by far my favorite firearm and my Go to for 3-gun, range trips, and desert hikes (The AR hasn't left the safe since I got it... except for company photo shoots). I have an IDF version of the Tavor since I've been a Mepro M21 user for a while now and have another M21 on my AR. Washout wasn't an issue for me until I moved out to AZ and started training for 3-gun. My favorite range near me is Rio Salado which has the shooting benches under a corrugated steel roof and I start to have issues making out the point of the M21 Triangle reticle after 100 yards with white targets. After competing in several carbine matches I decided it was time to address the washout issue, there were multiple stages that had shooters engaging white painted steel targets at 300 yards from a covered or shaded zone where a wash out remover would have proved useful.

Alright enough explanation here is what I'm working on, First some CAD renders. I don't plan to make the housing orange it's just for contrast, I think i'll anodize one side black and the other a charcoal grey:

Laundry List of features in the Gen-1 design:
  • Detects motion and will shut LED's off after 10 minutes of inactivity
  • Turns LED's on when motion is detected, LED's can be turned on/off by double tapping the side
  • Can sense ambient light and adjust LED's brightness
  • Will remain off when cased during transit
  • Takes 2x CR2032 Lithium Batteries for 192 Hours runtime, 480k Hours in standby
  • Batteries can be swapped with US Quarter or Shekel
  • Designed to be water-resistant

3D printed a model on my printer to make sure I got the dimensions right. After I checked the fitment I sent out for a stainless steel 3D printed version and PCB's to assemble a functional prototype and get some range time with it. Have a few questions after the pics if anyone feels like chiming in (I know you do).

The following items still haven't been decided:
  • I'm considering making a version that takes a single CR123 instead of coincells. Would boost operating life to 1200 Hours, and storage to forever (~3M hours). It would allow for brighter LED's however and I could still get 300 Hours operation at maximum brightness. I'm not sure if it's worth the loss in FOV however.
  • I considered mounting the electronics inboard and a battery pack to the TAR-21 heatguard, there is a little part of me that still thinks that's a good idea..... a very little part
  • I could also make the WOR device mount between the M21 and the sight mount but that would require a more complex mounting design but would give more room for the electronics
  • I am still playing with the possibility of adding a few tactile buttons with a membrane to keep the unit sealed, not sure if have a physical user interface is necessary. I can elaborate on the current user-interface if anyone cares.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 05:53:27 AM by Phillysteak527 » Logged

Si vis pacem, para bellum

CEO/Chief Engineer - www.TheSaltedEarth.com
kwisatz

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2015, 11:16:42 AM »

I like your design. Adjustable brightness, auto off, and lower profile than the currently available WOR.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 07:13:52 PM by Sgt_P » Logged
Border Dave
^

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2015, 11:43:48 AM »

I also like the lower profile of your design, but I'd worry about the reliability of the automatic switch.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 07:14:05 PM by Sgt_P » Logged
repo

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2015, 11:55:19 AM »

its always good to see new products developed for my beloved rifle. I hope it you are able to get all the logistics ironed out to make this a production piece avalible to others. Good luck with your project.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 07:14:25 PM by Sgt_P » Logged
BullpupT
Bullpup Fanatic

AF&AM 02

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2015, 12:51:22 PM »

Nice little piece of engineering. The auto on off feature brings a lot today the table. It's very business like and looks like a OEM piece. Amazing work!
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 07:14:37 PM by Sgt_P » Logged
Pikeman

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2015, 01:12:14 PM »

In addition to the auto on/off motion bases switch a manual off might be good for those who do a daily carry in the vehicle. Motion of the vehicle may activate the light and deplete the battery.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 07:14:47 PM by Sgt_P » Logged

B16 Tavor ,Fd18 Tavor ,SRS 338 Lapua & 308, Bullpup unlimited 870 , CBRS Saiga12,  CBRS Draco 47
Phillysteak527

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2015, 02:41:44 PM »

Border Dave - I've used this particular accelerometer for protecting electronics from drop damage in the past with perfect reliability. It's going to be more of a challenge to program the device to turn off when it's supposed to which is where the combination of Accelerometer and light sensor come in (To detect when it's in a case for example).

Pikeman - You're right about the daily carry aspect since the rifle would be uncased (That detail slipped my mind). I might have room to squeeze a button in there somewhere to give a physical on/off feature, thanks for the input.

EDIT: I need a catchy name for this device since WOR is taken... "WOA" (Wash Out Annihilator?). Any ideas?
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 10:56:47 PM by Phillysteak527 » Logged

Aussie E
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2015, 03:25:59 AM »

RIL - Reticle Illumination LED
RWEL - Reticle Washout Eliminator LED
RWED - Reticle Washout Elimination Device
RRI - Redundant Reticle Illuminator

AE
Phillysteak527

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2015, 03:33:33 AM »

AE I like where you're coming from with RRI Idea.

I'm thinking TRI would work well - Tertiary Reticle Illuminator 

DDRYHEAT

Arizona

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2015, 11:26:05 AM »

WOT: Wash Out Terminator
"I've got an M21...I have to get a WOT!"
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 11:27:52 AM by DDRYHEAT » Logged

Some of us learn from the mistakes of others, the rest of us have to be the others.
Gear Head
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2015, 11:36:58 AM »

How about AIM. Artificial illumination module.

The second Amendment is the last line of defense for the 1st.

Gear Head Works' products are leading the way in innovative designs. Click the globe icon below my Avatar to visit www.gearheadworks.com
Gunoil

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2015, 01:19:09 PM »

If its going to be referred to by its acronym then make that recognizable & preferably descriptive on its own.
"AIM" is the perfect example.  Wink actually the perfect name would poke fun at the necessity of adding batteries to a "never needs batteries dot sight"
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 02:44:53 PM by Gunoil » Logged
BullpupT
Bullpup Fanatic

AF&AM 02

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2015, 02:18:45 PM »

How about LITE...

LED
Illuminated
Tactical
Enhancement

I kinda like AIM better  Grin
Kevlar

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2015, 04:40:48 PM »

RED

Reticle Enhancement Device
jay6669
^

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2015, 05:01:37 PM »

S.L.I.M.
Supplemental
Light
Insurance
Module

~blowing up spell checkers since spell checkers could check spells~
Aug A3 CQC
PS90
Phillysteak527

« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2015, 07:08:26 PM »

I like AIM too... it does seem ironic that I'm adding a third power source to the M21 and AIM is fitting. Any other votes for M21-AIM as the name?

Took the M21 out into the wild today for some melon ..... Monsoon season is almost upon us and I'm sure I'll have a few occasions to test the AIM device in rapidly changing weather conditions.

PCB's are expected back in 1 week, and the new housing won't be in until 7/24 =/ .... While I wait I should probably work on another project.

larryz

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2015, 08:22:21 PM »

BLEED
Battery-powered
LED
External
Enhancement
Device

RETICLE
Removable
Electronic
Tactical
Illumination
Carrier
LED
Enhanced

ALERT
Automatic
LED
Enhanced
Reticle
Thingamabob

kamui34

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2015, 09:58:32 PM »

Battery and switch device inside the hand guard would be awesome but that wouldn't that compete for space against illumination devices? (Just thinking out loud, my Tavor has no flash light yet)

For railed Tavors and allow the use of CR123, maybe create the battery module and slot it low profile in front of the M21? Plenty of real estate and would still keep a good FOV.

What about funding? Have you though about crowd sourcing it?
Phillysteak527

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2015, 06:02:40 AM »

I have a very strong feeling that the final version of the M21-AIM will be CR123 powered, the electronics i'm testing this time around would be the same for any battery so it's still a useful prototype (The PCB is only 0.5" x 0.63" in size so it would be easy to fit into the handguard). I just got the components in and the PCB's should be here by Monday or Tuesday so i'm hoping to be able to assemble a prototype by the end of next week, the new housings won't be here until later in the month so no close-ups yet!

In terms of funding I've considered indiegogo since they seem to be supportive of firearm accessory projects, I'm just not sure how big a market there is for the M21-AIM. If this thread continues to get some interest I might submit a little writeup to the firearm blog once I can take some video/photos demonstrating the AIM and the new housing. MY day job is running a firearm tech startup so if the indiegogo route isn't feasible I can always add the product to our lineup.

I'll post some pictures of the M21-AIM in action later next week!

Border Dave
^

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2015, 07:16:44 PM »

What happened to the pics you promised to post?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length