Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 26, 2014, 01:54:48 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News: 2015 SHOT Show                                              20-23 January, 2015                               Las Vegas, NV                              The firearms industry convention and show...                              ...will be covered by BullpupForum.com!                              Check back here for all the Bullpup action from SHOT Show 2015!               

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
Brownells . . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . . . . . . . FFL123.com . . . carhartt . . . K & M Arms
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  General Category
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  What is the Most Reliable bullpup?
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: What is the Most Reliable bullpup?  (Read 2918 times)
wfcwfc
Bullpup Fanatic

« on: July 03, 2012, 11:22:32 AM »

At the risk of having to shell out a bunch of cash for yet another bullpup
I wanted to get opinions on the most reliable bullpup.
Specifically one that uses AR-15 Mags.
Also I think a cap of two grand for cost.
What say you?
Sgt_P
Administrator
Bullpup Fanatic

SEMPER FIDELIS

« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 12:02:03 PM »

Might have to make this a poll...

Using AR mags, limits you to just a couple.

Steyr AUG (I hear the new A3's will be below 2k)

FN FS2000 (OD green are available for around $1700)

IWI Tavor (available late fall, reportedly just below $2k)

M17s (still available.  reliable, but can run hot, until Ken works his magic!)

"Retreat, hell we just got here!" 
Capt L Williams, USMC, WWI (Belleau Wood)
ROGUE

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 12:09:11 PM »

It would hard hard to beat a M14 or AK47 for reliability.........GO ROUGE!

"Don't steal...........the Government hates competition"! -Ron Paul, champion of the Constitution.

jtactical.com
X-man
New Posting Member

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 01:43:01 PM »

I'd say it is a toss up between the IWI Tavor TAR-21 and the Steyr AUG. I've shot the FN FS2000 and found it finicky and a major pain in the arse when a FTE occurred. I can't comment on the new AUG A3, as none are permitted to be imported into Canada, but the original I had the pleasure to shoot on a regular basis was quite reliable and accurate for a service rifle. I'm relatively new to the Tavor, but thus far it has digested every single commercial and surplus loading I've fed it, along with my own handloads. Zero FTF/FTE.

I've used a combination of original IWI, USGI and "adjusted" Magpul P-Mags, along with several generations of RRA/C-Products LAR-15 10 round pistol magazines. All fed reliably, with no issues thus far.

Incidentally, I would've probably included the FN PS-90 on your list. I found it to be a very pleasant and accurate little bullpup to fire and it was quite reliable, just not my cup of tea. If ammo was more widely available up here and considerably less expensive and our mags not neutered to 5 rounds, I'd consider getting one, but as it stands now...

Having lost my AUG to our much hated gun control laws, I had hoped that the MSAR would've gained approval, but it was deemed a variant of the AUG and not permitted entry into Canada. It looks like from all reports, Canadian shooters dodged a bullet with that particular dog.
wfcwfc
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 02:14:59 PM »

What kind of accuracy are you getting From your Tavor?
So the govt took your Aug?
No grandfather?
johnny9
Bullpup Fanatic

jack of all trades,master of none!

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2012, 04:08:22 PM »

wfcwfc,i thought you had a m17s? ,im really getting into my bushy myself Cool as far as reliable goes..have not got to take any long shots yet,or fully dialed in..but it runs sweet emptying a mag with no problems yet thankfully..its hot afterwards but i dont think its gonna hurt the gun..maybe i will make it electrically controlled cooling with a auto thermastat for a conversation piece at the bullpup shoot Grin?

get r done
wfcwfc
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2012, 11:01:58 PM »

Yes I do have a K&M-M17s
I also have an FS2000

I have a collection of StanAG magazines so would like to stick with those
So if the Zombies were roaming and you were on the run
And you could only have one gun
And it had to be a Bullpup
And you wanted rock solid reliable.
What would you pick?
wfcwfc
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2012, 02:49:14 PM »

Word on the street is the Styer Aug A3 Nato is the most reliable Bull-pup.

I went shooting my FS2000 this morning after replacing the followers in all my magazines with magpull anti tilt followers.
The FS2000 functioned 100% for 100 rounds.
The K&M-M17s was also 100% functional this morning altho with fewer rounds.
Shooting both rifles back to back its hard to decide which one I like better.
The K&M-M17s has an AAC 51T Breakout muzzle break and recoil is noticeably less. 
Might be due to the weight. 
Might be due to the break.
But It is definitely more pleasant to shoot than the FS2000.
I think I will send my FS2000 upper to hi-desertdog to have the barrel shortened, and threaded and have an AAC 51T Breakout installed.

johnny9
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2012, 03:08:41 PM »

my first thought when i got my m17zs was that i would be removing the levang linear muzzle brake and shortening the barrel.."thanks to u guys helping me find out what brand it was"
the first 10 shots i fired told me i was going to leave everything as it is, since it shot better than every ar ive had,and ive had some that had a couple grand in them that were very nice,,but the no recoil with the m17 with this brake really blew me away..but like you say the weight prob is a big factor in that too..
i was actually happy with the weight till i put the scope on and wow,it is heavy as heck Grin

the new 10 pack of mags i got from bravo company with the new followers all work perfect thankfully..

even tho its heavy i vote for the m17.that and all my 10-22,s and 22wmr,s are my go to zombie guns Cool the new ruger bx mags kich but too Cool

you gonna be at the bullpup shoot wfc wfc? id like to try out that 51t breakout..

get r done
wfcwfc
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2012, 03:49:10 PM »

thinking about it

* IMG_7344.JPG (1538.7 KB, 2592x1936 - viewed 218 times.)
johnny9
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2012, 10:15:34 PM »

man that is very sweet lookin with the shorter barrel,no doubt!

get r done
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length