Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 07, 2020, 05:42:22 PM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . Desert Tech . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Getting Started...
| |-+  Bullpup Design, Definition, History
| | |-+  Ancient History the EM2
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Ancient History the EM2  (Read 9084 times)
Noggin

« on: April 10, 2015, 12:22:08 AM »

I recently came across these two videos on UTube. They were both posted some time ago, therefore I assumed that everyone here must have seen them.  I ran a search on the Forum to see if the links were here, the search came up empty so here they are:

The first link is the best as it provides plenty of detail about the weapon and it's design. Even though I handled an EM2 in 1975 I learned more about the rifle from this clip. What surprised me was seeing it fired.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wdhN5_RpX4

The second link is good for a laugh - like all those "jolly good" old B&W newsreels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtjVf724G7w
limpygunner

« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2020, 01:59:58 PM »

You got to play with the EM2! I always have wondered what it would be like compared to the SA80. I had a first generation one during my time. I loved the thing, I will say I had a good one that always ran when I needed it too and only a few bits fell off  it (nothing really important)...many others didnt do so well. Often wondered if the EM2 was a amazing idea that was screwed up by bad redesign,low bidding and bad manufacture or if it was a real pig in a poke and the  SA80 was just so much better.
Dont get me wrong I am not an SA80 hater I loved mine. But also saw so many bad failures at bad moments that I know something was seriously wrong with most of them!
Thanks for the vids good finds
Noggin

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2020, 04:51:54 PM »

Y
Dont get me wrong I am not an SA80 hater I loved mine.

From what I have read you must have been lucky then. I retired from "The Job" in 1994 the last few years of my career were spent in Grade3 and Grade2 IT staff appointments the last time I was in a regiment we still had L1A1s and SMGs. I only ever got to fire an SA80 once. That was at a 25m range in Aldershot in 1990. I along with a group of other staff officers were given a short intro to the weapon and a chance to try it out. It was also the first time I had ever handled or shot .223/5,56 ammunition. Strange to think that now I have more than 1,000 rds of the stuff in my gun safe for my Tavor.

The EM2 I looked at was in the Armory at RMA Sandhurst. I wonder if it is still there. To the best of my knowledge it was never used while I was there, I was told there was no ammunition for it.
limpygunner

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2020, 12:12:49 PM »

For my sins I was a Monkey and went into training in the early 90s, So was trained on the Hi Power, SMG and LMG. Then went to face the troubles and was handed a SA80 ......isnt the army great!
Spent two years lugging around my SA80 and in reply to what you said yes I was lucky, and know I was some of the failures I saw were bad someone should have been hung out to dry for it.
Interesting to find you went down from 7.62 to 5.56. though mind you I will say that its a lot nicer to shoot!
I am the same though I thought about getting a 7.62 Kel tec RFB but opted instead for the AUG.....
Noggin

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2020, 08:23:06 PM »

I am the same though I thought about getting a 7.62 Kel tec RFB but opted instead for the AUG.....

Ah the dealer I bought my Tavor from also had an Aug. I looked at it and was tempted but decided to stick with my original choice.  Since then I have thought about a 7.62 Kel Tec. The only 7mm rifle I own is a bolt action 7mm Remington Magnum (which I inherited from my father in law). Some time when I can be confident the Mrs will not give me grief about it I will probably get one.
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length