Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 25, 2017, 06:31:15 PM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Shotguns
| |-+  UTAS UTS-15
| | |-+  Only holds 10 rounds????
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Only holds 10 rounds????  (Read 9272 times)
FrankRizzo
New Posting Member

« on: March 20, 2015, 08:33:34 PM »

Work as a Deputy Sheriff, so I'm familiar with guns. Just got a gen 3 utas and i'm a little confused about the loading. It shouldn't be rocket science, but I can only get five 2 3/4 rounds in each tube. The sixth round gets to where it should lock in, but won't. I took the tube springs out to see if there was some kind of plug, but no luck. Anybody else have this problem?
Dizzy82

« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2015, 08:47:42 PM »

I just tried loading mine up. The sixth shell takes a little bit of force to get the plunger to lock back and the seventh one just sits in the loading port. Are you sure your loading 2 3/4 inch shells and not 3 inch shells?

FS2000
SCAR-17
FiveseveN IOM
Desert Eagle MKI .357Mag
Beretta 21A
SPAS-12
HK FABARM FP6
FrankRizzo
New Posting Member

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2015, 12:13:12 AM »

I tried a little force, then upped it to the point that I was pushing it as hard as possible. Was using slugs, then tried buckshot thinking there might be a tiny difference, but just won't go. I don't get what it would be. I think I'm going to take the springs back out and look at the end plugs that hold them to see if there are burrs somewhere or something. Just seems weird that both sides are doing it.
Dizzy82

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2015, 12:17:01 AM »

Is it a new firearm or used? What brand of ammunition are you using? I do know that there are tube plugs for the UTS-15 to limit it's capacity, but those are for "restricted" states.

FS2000
SCAR-17
FiveseveN IOM
Desert Eagle MKI .357Mag
Beretta 21A
SPAS-12
HK FABARM FP6
Snapperhead363
Global Moderator
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2015, 12:22:49 AM »

I don't remember having that problem and I bought mine new.

NRA Life Member   Bullpup Fanatic Glock Armorer  Owner of Homeland Guns.1-740-820-GUNS
Madekontakt
New Posting Member

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2015, 01:02:00 AM »

Is it a UTS-9 model or a UTS-15? Just because it says UTS-15 on the box and on the takedown by the barrel doesn't necessarily mean it is.  I purchased mine, brand new, in the box as a UTS-9. The box says UTS-15 and so does the gun itself on the takedown but the bar-coded label on the box with the matching serial numbers verifies that is a UTS-9 and yes, it only held 9 2-3/4 rounds. It didn't even have a removable dowel inside, but rather a solid block. I had to send it back to UTAS and for $45 they upgraded it to a UTS-15, they removed the solid block inside the mag tube and now it holds a full 15 2-3/4" shells (7X2+1). You'll be able to tell if it's a 9 or a 15 by removing the 2 allen screws on the front of the gun, directly above the barrel. When you remove that plate, if there's nothing behind it but a solid block, it's a 9. If when you remove the plate, you see 2 springs, you have a 15. I can provide pics if you want as well. I love the gun, aside from the frequent failure to eject the spent shells. Hope this was helpful, as it was my first post on this site.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 01:04:27 AM by Madekontakt » Logged
FrankRizzo
New Posting Member

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2015, 04:37:51 PM »

Thanks for all the info guys. I bought it new from atlantic firearms brand new and it was listed as a 15. I will have to check it out when I get back home about the model number. There were no plugs or dowels, but there is no way it's holding more than 5 in each tube. Going to run it through it's paces this week. I was going to use it as my duty shotgun, but with the frequent ejection failures I'm reading about I'm not sure if I will or not.
Dizzy82

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2015, 10:18:27 PM »

Get in contact with UTAS, from what I understand they are a company who want to make sure their customers are satisfied. As for the FTF and FTE, don't short shuck this shotgun. Treat it as though it owes you money.

FS2000
SCAR-17
FiveseveN IOM
Desert Eagle MKI .357Mag
Beretta 21A
SPAS-12
HK FABARM FP6
pistol_marks

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2015, 04:46:35 PM »

Is it a UTS-9 model or a UTS-15? Just because it says UTS-15 on the box and on the takedown by the barrel doesn't necessarily mean it is.  I purchased mine, brand new, in the box as a UTS-9. The box says UTS-15 and so does the gun itself on the takedown but the bar-coded label on the box with the matching serial numbers verifies that is a UTS-9 and yes, it only held 9 2-3/4 rounds. It didn't even have a removable dowel inside, but rather a solid block. I had to send it back to UTAS and for $45 they upgraded it to a UTS-15, they removed the solid block inside the mag tube and now it holds a full 15 2-3/4" shells (7X2+1). You'll be able to tell if it's a 9 or a 15 by removing the 2 allen screws on the front of the gun, directly above the barrel. When you remove that plate, if there's nothing behind it but a solid block, it's a 9. If when you remove the plate, you see 2 springs, you have a 15. I can provide pics if you want as well. I love the gun, aside from the frequent failure to eject the spent shells. Hope this was helpful, as it was my first post on this site.
Sorry to beg for crap, but is there any way you would post some of those pics detailing the springs I should be looking for? Mine also doesn't seem to hold more than 5 per tube. I don't have hulk strength, so it might just be me being tiny, but if not I'd like to know so I can stop wrestling with the damn thing haha

Check my fun gun vids! www.youtube.com/pistolmarks
E98T

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2015, 03:13:23 PM »

This is what my 15 rd UTAS looks like after removing the 2 allen bolts.
pistol_marks

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2015, 06:59:01 PM »

Thank you so much!! You rock for that!!

Check my fun gun vids! www.youtube.com/pistolmarks
mattchristiani
New Posting Member

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2015, 08:38:15 PM »

This is the same issue I had. I got out a micrometer and measured the mean length of the rounds I was attempting to load into the UTAS. I found that the 000 Buck rounds (Remington) was a good bit proud of 2.75" . I went and got some Estate 000 Buck out of the garage and they fit just fine. I hate everything Remington makes, guns and ammo. I find their quality control to be among the worst. Hope this helps,  Matt
SEEKER
New Posting Member

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2016, 06:57:07 PM »

I have a UTS-15. It only holds 5 rounds in each tube + 2 in the sides + 1 in the chamber = 13.
I called the factory. He said that if the round has a rolled end, not a crimped flat end, then the round is longer and will only load 5 in a tube. Also, they have only crimped flat end rounds in their factory which measure 2 1/4 inches long over-all. I use Federal Premium 12 gauge 2 3/4 inch 00 buckshot rounds PD132 00. These rounds are from 2.353 to 2.395 inches long (about 2 3/8 inches-2.375) and I can only get 5 in a tube.
Apparently they consider a 2 1/4 inch long round to be a nominal 2 3/4.
So, if you want to use rounds that actually measure longer than approximately 2 1/4 inches long you will only be able to load 5 rounds in the magazine tube.
I am disappointed and feel that they should include in their specifications that rounds longer than 2 2/8 (as they put it) will only load 5 in a tube.
If anyone has any other info please post it here as perhaps there is a modification that will alter these results.
BlackWorksInc

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2016, 02:09:21 PM »

I have a UTS-15. It only holds 5 rounds in each tube + 2 in the sides + 1 in the chamber = 13.
I called the factory. He said that if the round has a rolled end, not a crimped flat end, then the round is longer and will only load 5 in a tube. Also, they have only crimped flat end rounds in their factory which measure 2 1/4 inches long over-all. I use Federal Premium 12 gauge 2 3/4 inch 00 buckshot rounds PD132 00. These rounds are from 2.353 to 2.395 inches long (about 2 3/8 inches-2.375) and I can only get 5 in a tube.
Apparently they consider a 2 1/4 inch long round to be a nominal 2 3/4.
So, if you want to use rounds that actually measure longer than approximately 2 1/4 inches long you will only be able to load 5 rounds in the magazine tube.
I am disappointed and feel that they should include in their specifications that rounds longer than 2 2/8 (as they put it) will only load 5 in a tube.
If anyone has any other info please post it here as perhaps there is a modification that will alter these results.

From what I learned over the years is that a 2 3/4" Shotgun shell is typically shorter than that unfired; because the 2 3/4" Measurement is derived from the fired casing length NOT it's unfired length (which seems to be variable between brands.)

I just measured my Remington slugs and found them to be n the 2 1/4~2 1/3" range as well, I used these slugs for years when I lived in the Bay Area because all the indoor ranges wouldn't let any other shotgun round in. I am consistently feeding 7 rounds in each tube with these 2 3/4" shells. I've also used Federal and Winchester ammunition and have not had an issue with their slugs.
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length