Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 17, 2017, 05:34:28 PM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  IWI Tavor & X-95
| | |-+  Tavor pics and wear at 1500 rounds.
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Tavor pics and wear at 1500 rounds.  (Read 37306 times)
Halmbarte

« on: January 25, 2015, 05:13:44 PM »

Tavor detail and wear pics at 1500 rounds

Thanks to TangoFoxtrot for the opportunity to get some pictures of his Tavor that he痴 been shooting for the past year. His videos are at: https://www.youtube.com/user/romeotangofoxtrot/videos

He estimates this rifle has about 1500 rounds on it at this point.

Tavor rifle.

Tavor with basic field strip, including special tool (unfired cartridge) required for disassembly. One captive pin and the BCG drops out the back. The buttpad is captive.

Hammer pack removed. Two captive pins retain it and the bolt stop. The bolt stop could be removed at this point but removing it is not part of the normal strip for cleaning.

Bolt carrier group with recoil spring guide rod removed. Guide rod shown partially retracted. The guide rod prevents the bolt from rotating while the stripping lugs of the bolt hit the cartridge at the top of the magazine. Notice that the points that actually contact the receiver rails are small in length and have clearances between them. I believe these work as sand cuts.  

BCG detail stripped.

Detail of the rear of the carrier, showing the area where the firing pin goes.

Bolt details. AR15 bolt for comparison. Note that the locking/unlocking cam path is part of the bolt.

Bolt detail stripped. AR15 bolt for comparison.

覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧

Extractor detail with AR15 extractor for comparison.

Tavor extractor spring. No, nothing is missing and yes, that green jelly cone is the extractor spring. No metal required.

Tavor firing pin with AR15 FP. The slot in the firing pin interfaces with the cam pin, which also retains the firing pin.

Cam pin, with AR15 cam pin for reference. The notch in the cam pin is for the bolt guide rod, which also retains the cam pin, which retains the bolt and firing pin.

Bolt carrier spring detail. Crosspin is inserted across the recoil spring guide ride with the end piece slightly retracted. In the forward position the notch in the crosspin is locked into the recoil spring guide rod.

BCG buffer (muzzle side to right). Molded polymer piece that holds the recoil spring guide rod and bolt guide rod. The top cross hole locates the buffer on the captive pin that holds the butt pad and goes through the receiver.

Buffer from the front.

覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧

Bolt (55g) and bolt carrier (405g) weight for a bolt to bolt carrier weight ratio of 7.36:1. For comparison the AR15 bolt is 51g and bolt carrier* is 363g for a ratio of 7.1:1. The AK bolt is 87g and bolt carrier is 424g for a ratio of AK47- 4.9:1.
*Bolt carrier and standard carbine buffer.

Barrel removal process. Remove the charging handle (shown upside down) group.

CH detail. The lever on the interior end of the CH engages a wing on the barrel. This levers the bolt open when the CH is first retracted.

Barrel latch lock, shown in locked position. To unlock it press in with tip of bullet while rotating barrel latch to unlocked position.

Barrel latch detail. Barrel latch in locked position.

Rotated halfway.

Barrel details from left to right: flash hider, wings for CH unlocking, gas block front that has the gas port in it, the gas pipe that connects to the rear of the gas block, where the gas piston sits with the bolt forward. The top of the gas block is also the optics mounting point.

Barrel/barrel extension notch that engages the barrel latch.

Barrel extension detail showing the three bolt extension locking lugs the bolt locking lugs engage. The top lug is also the stop for the bot guide rod.

Gas block/optic platform detail.  

Gas relief hole is under the rear of the gas block.

Twin holes under the gas block are the CH guide holes.

Detail of the gas block where the gas piston enters it. The interior is hardchromed. I couldn稚 see how far into the gas pipe the hardchroming extends.

覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧

Debris shield. Separates the dirty outside of the weapon from the interior action area. Reversing the notch is necessary if the rifle is changed form RH to LH.

Gas tube which has a aluminum liner with plastic exterior. The grooves on outside seat into receiver. Left is towards the muzzle.

Front.

Gas tube installed in receiver. Open space underneath is for the CH rod.

Gas tube and debris shield together from the front, rifle set up for right handed use.

Debris shield and gas tube in place in receiver with barrel removed.

Barrel, BCG, gas tube and debris shield removed from receiver showing relationships.

Receiver from front, barrel latch in unlocked position.

Rear.

Underneath from magwell.

Underneath from hammer pack area. Black nubbin is rear of trigger bar.

H
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 11:40:26 AM by Halmbarte » Logged
freefallindan
^

« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 06:20:12 PM »

Outstanding level of detail Sir!
ShootingSight
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 08:04:18 PM »

Very nice photography, and great detail.

Overall conclusion appears to be that it is wearing very nicely.

Art Neergaard
ShootingSight LLC
www.shootingsight.com
shootingsight@fioptics.com
513-702-4879
poodle shooter

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 09:40:44 PM »

Thank you for taking the time to post all those informative images.

www.gtr5.org
PattonWasRight

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2015, 11:22:19 AM »

Awesome. I motion to "make a sticky"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Just Your Average Jewish Redneck.
STL9MM

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2015, 05:00:01 PM »

Awesome detail for sure!  Can I "second" the motion?!
hammermill290

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2015, 08:15:46 AM »

Thanks for the pics and info.  This includes some details I've wanted to see but couldn't because I didn't want to pull my gun down to do so.  Very interesting stuff, for sure.
tattooo

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2015, 04:51:52 PM »

Cool write up....thanks for taking the time
firewire

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2015, 09:40:26 PM »

Outstanding level of detail Sir!

Agreed!  Incredibly good pics!  I am a bit surprised at the number of cast pieces vs machined.  Nice job on the post!
Guntrician

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2015, 06:48:30 PM »

Great detailed pictures. Thanks. Your rifle basically looks new for the most part.

With winter subsiding where I live, I was able to do some shooting last weekend. I had my Tavor and a 14.5 AR out. After the shooting I decided to clean both. I don't keep an accurate round count but I'm guessing I'm around the 1000 mark on the Tavor. This AR has about the same.  I had cleaned and lubed the Tavor once early on probably around the 200 round mark mainly just to familiarize myself with stripping it so it had around 800 rounds since last cleaning. The AR probably had 500 since last cleaning. Both rifles have had a mix of M193, M855, UMC .223, and WPA. It's no secret the AR is a dirty system compared to the Tavor but cleaning these side by side sure made me appreciate the Tavor yet again. As you can imagine cleaning the AR was a dirty affair. AR barrel, BCG, action and chamber were a carbon coated mess. No surprise the Tavors carbon was pretty much confined to the piston and rod requiring simply being wiped of with oily rag. I wiped out the Tavor action with a lightly oiled patch on a cleaning rod just to see how dirty the action got. Nothing to speak of really. Still loving the Tavor.

Pups so far: TPD AXR, FN FS2000, Tavor SAR
DannC

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2015, 05:17:32 PM »

Thank you for the superb photography and tutorial!
The photo showing the left side of the barrel latch lock should the caption not be "unlocked"?
nickyjones
New Posting Member

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2015, 03:04:48 PM »

Wow, 1500 rounds and your gas block looks VIRGIN!  How do you clean the green residue out of it, w/out blocking up the port?  Pic of mine (dirty) attached.  Btw, called tavor tech supp and they said it's a none issue (they know about green residue, no reports of problems from the front in Israel).

* Gas Cyl Corrosion- Lower Res.JPG (361.68 KB, 1632x1224 - viewed 868 times.)
BullpupT
Bullpup Fanatic

AF&AM 02

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2015, 09:33:31 AM »

Wow! What an amazing set of pictures and the detail you provided is top notch. I ordered a Tavor for my wife last week. She had difficulty handling both the AR and AK platform. Hopefully this design will help her shoot off hand standing. Its impossible for her to hold my AR standing for more than a couple minutes.
I am sure I will be the one cleaning and maintaining it. You provided more than enough pics for me to get and idea of its internals.
Halmbarte

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2015, 04:16:21 PM »

Wow, 1500 rounds and your gas block looks VIRGIN!  How do you clean the green residue out of it, w/out blocking up the port?  Pic of mine (dirty) attached.  Btw, called tavor tech supp and they said it's a none issue (they know about green residue, no reports of problems from the front in Israel).

Sorry for the delay, I haven't been over here much.

As I recall I used a pick to scrape the port and then hit it with Breakfree bore cleaning foam, which is great on copper and carbon.

H
MaxwellSmart

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2015, 03:13:28 PM »

Well done mate, excellent detail. Thank you. Shocked
Tvfreakarms

« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2015, 04:42:16 PM »

New to the forum and first time bullpup owner. I'm looking forward to more rd counts. I hope u can go several k more. I just got my tavor last yr. So far good.
I wonder how well it will hold up against tried and true tested AR15's.
Plan on following this thread.
Thanks
Zemliak

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2015, 09:22:54 PM »

Just got my Tavor and I shot 500 rounds in one day, about nothing to clean after shooting Wolf Gold .223 ammo. Rifle is technically clean inside, amazing! No wear, very little on some bolt spots. I am impressed with this rifle, I could compare it with much worse and noticible wear on my recent american made AK - Century C39v2.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 09:28:06 PM by Zemliak » Logged
Tvfreakarms

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2015, 03:13:52 PM »

I wonder where is the round count at now?
AUG556Shooter
Banned

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2015, 02:12:52 PM »

1500 rounds? That's nothing.

Check back when you are 10,000 rounds.
Tvfreakarms

« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2015, 02:15:57 PM »

How about 20k

2 by 2...hands of blue

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length