Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2018, 09:08:09 PM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  IWI TAVOR
| | |-+  IWI Tavor SAR & X-95
| | | |-+  Stiff charging handle/action
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Stiff charging handle/action  (Read 7065 times)
Salad Tongs

« on: December 31, 2014, 02:25:47 AM »

Got my FDE Tavor just in time for Christmas, took it to the range and put about 150 rounds through it. Cleaned/lubed it with CLP. It's pretty awesome, other than the trigger. Took the second spring off.

Here's my issue: My charging handle takes quite a bit of force to pull all the way back, almost to the point where I'm worried about it being made of plastic. Is this normal with a new Tavor? Maybe I'm just spoiled on AR15's and how easy their actions are to work...thanks for the help.
Snapperhead363
Global Moderator
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2014, 02:58:03 AM »

I remember it being stiff but, Not that stiff.I have read of this issue here somewhere on the Forum.

NRA Life Member   Bullpup Fanatic Glock Armorer  Owner of Homeland Guns.1-740-820-GUNS
Salad Tongs

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2014, 03:17:43 AM »

It's really darn stiff..like to the point where I push a little with my right hand as I charge with my left to get it 100% of the way to the rear. I haven't removed the barrel or the charging assembly at all, so I don't see how I would've bent/gouged the charging rod. All I did was pull the bolt and trigger pack out and wipe them down.

I guess a full teardown is in order? Just a bummer I'm having an issue with a brand new gun, also the most expensive gun I've ever purchased. I'm hoping it's just something minor/stupid.
Snapperhead363
Global Moderator
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2014, 03:49:41 AM »

Yeah,That defenatly isn't right. Don't worry to much though.....If something is wrong IWI will make it right!

NRA Life Member   Bullpup Fanatic Glock Armorer  Owner of Homeland Guns.1-740-820-GUNS
Chuck S

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2014, 08:07:55 AM »

How's it feel with the trigger group out of the rifle?  This will isolate the problem area and probably confirm there's no binding in the action, it's just the extraordinarily heavy hammer spring.

-- Chuck
Salad Tongs

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2014, 01:00:15 PM »

Removed the trigger pack, felt slightly better..definitely still way too stiff. It's like charging an M249. Guess I'll call IWI.  Undecided
GunStarHero

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2014, 02:08:40 PM »

Still that heavy without the trigger pack?   I'd do basic maintenance again. Inspect the bolt-carrier, bolt, and inner receiver, and all grooves and slots that run along each other on the bolt-carrier and receiver.

Also make sure the barrel lock is fully turned to the "lock" position.  Not sure if it's possible, but if only partially turned it could maybe still secure the barrel and be resisting the charging rod too.  Unlikely, but worth a quick look.

If you're up for it, try a full takedown. Top rail, forend, qd mount, and cocking group. Inspect the cocking group and the handle/rod. Obviously the rod shouldn't be bent. Make sure its all fitted properly with the tavor's body during reassembly.

May also want to remove the barrel and look at the little polymer cover plate that fits between the barrel and gas-tube.  Also unlikely, but if it was deformed somehow it could be pinching the rod.
Not sure if the newer tavors come with a barrel key, mine didn't, but i recommend using the real thing and not mcguyvering one.

But sorry for the bummer news... If you feel like sending it in to Harrisburg to get it checked out at least IWI's warranty turn around time is decent. I did a RMA with them last year, they had a new part installed, test fired, even sighted in the buis for me, and had it back in under three weeks including shipping and a holiday delay.
Colejoea

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2014, 02:23:46 PM »

I had the same issue, was so hard to pull back I thought I'd bend the cocking rod. I removed the cocking assembly and noticed a wear area on the cocking rod that was slightly rough from the friction. I cleaned it up with some 0000 steel wood and oil, then cleaned out the hole in the receiver that the rod goes into. I haven't had an issue since. Just spray the rod and that hole with CLP and keep that area clean regularly.
Salad Tongs

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2015, 05:25:51 PM »

Ended up breaking the weapon down and going HAM with the CLP.  Lubed the heck out of the charging rod, especially at the point it met the internal dust cover/divider plate. Also locked the bolt back to the rear to compress the springs, and using cue tips lubed the rods in the rear. Loosened up the weapon considerably. It's still a bit tight but I think it's just how new the weapon is, it feels a lot better now.

Being a soldier I've exclusively used CLP on every weapon I've ever owned, but taking a look at the internals of the Tavor I think a change is in order. Looks like a heavier grease type lube would work better for such big beefy parts so I'll probably be switching over to Froglube or something along those lines for the Tavor.

Anyways, thanks for the help, you guys rock.

irwing

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2015, 05:36:39 PM »

I would think if you really have a charging handle that sticking then the tavor gas piston system won't work and would not cycle.

When I first got my tavor it had some varnish gunk on the rod from the factory to prevent rust.
The handle was sticking and the gun kept jamming.
After cleaning it all off as described in the earlier posts it works perfect.
After about 1,000 rounds I have no problems and it never jams and works flawlessly.
c7aea

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2015, 11:24:17 AM »

I would think if you really have a charging handle that sticking then the tavor gas piston system won't work and would not cycle.

When I first got my tavor it had some varnish gunk on the rod from the factory to prevent rust.
The handle was sticking and the gun kept jamming.
After cleaning it all off as described in the earlier posts it works perfect.
After about 1,000 rounds I have no problems and it never jams and works flawlessly.

The charging rod and bolt are not connected.
c7aea

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2015, 11:29:28 AM »

When you took everything apart how did the rod look? Any gouges? Was the guide for the rod lined up correctly?

Try locking the bolt to the rear and then moving the charging assembly. It should move very freely, with no binding at all.

What did IWI have to say?
Mindflayer

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2015, 11:41:47 PM »

I had that problem. IWI found the problem (new Tavor) and corrected it ASAP.

The Tavor does take some force to charge, though.
Promac
New Posting Member

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2018, 04:43:58 PM »

Gas cylinder might be bent/dented (unlocking barrel without removing charging handle) or dirty. To check, remove gas cylinder and see if movement eases up.  If dented or bent, you could try reaming it with a Sharpy marker.  Shocked  IWI.us sells new ones for $9.99.  New charging rod is $24.99. 
cciman

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2018, 06:23:02 PM »

It should feel like an AK charge handle.

Did you take apart the upper with the wrench at any point prior to posting?

Turning the locking lug before removing the rod will bend both the rod and the gas cylinder and make the gun "bad".  Once the bolt is charged, the rod should move back and forth with just a tiny bit of resistance as it rubs the plastic on the front of the gas cylinder, if you are feeling binding, it fis likely BENT.  Does the piston on the BCG "penetrate" into the cylinder easily or is it binding indicating a bent cylinder?

You can order a new rod and gas cylinder directly from IWI (cheap),  and don't do it next time. 

RadScorpius
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2018, 01:07:46 PM »

Guys, this thread was 3 years old.
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length