Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 16, 2017, 10:08:53 PM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  IWI Tavor & X-95
| | |-+  Group Buy: OSS Suppressor Systems
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 Print
Author Topic: Group Buy: OSS Suppressor Systems  (Read 95124 times)
Vwnatas

« Reply #140 on: September 16, 2015, 08:10:34 PM »

Here she is

* image.jpg (483.19 KB, 1080x1918 - viewed 348 times.)

* image.jpg (413.25 KB, 1080x1918 - viewed 288 times.)

* image.jpg (483.19 KB, 1080x1918 - viewed 307 times.)

America needs bullets , not ballots!
Mefisto53
^

?

« Reply #141 on: September 16, 2015, 08:19:52 PM »

Great looking Tavor! Please note that I see a bottle of Crisco in pics #1 and 3.

----------
NRA Life Member
Tavor: FDE 16", lefty conversion.
SS trigger, Gearhead flex and full length Razorback with the LWRC's BUIS, Manticore's ARClight (short) fore end with the Fortis Shift Vertical Grip and a Banner break (the one that was a group buy here).
dushan
^

« Reply #142 on: September 17, 2015, 02:07:38 AM »

Vwnatas - Damn that can looks sweet
Vwnatas

« Reply #143 on: September 17, 2015, 11:35:38 AM »

Haha! Right. It was free so i tried it.. Ehhh. Wasnt really impressed. Back to slip2000 and clp.

Mefisto53
^

?

« Reply #144 on: September 17, 2015, 05:19:25 PM »

Haha! Right. It was free so i tried it.. Ehhh. Wasnt really impressed. Back to slip2000 and clp.

I applied to two completely clean muzzle breaks on two rifles that then were used suppressed (two different suppressors). Of interest, both suppressors had a tenacious, thick green crap that took a tenacious amount of cleaning before it was free of all residue. Both muzzle breaks had received an application of Crisco. Heck, that won't happen again.

----------
NRA Life Member
Tavor: FDE 16", lefty conversion.
SS trigger, Gearhead flex and full length Razorback with the LWRC's BUIS, Manticore's ARClight (short) fore end with the Fortis Shift Vertical Grip and a Banner break (the one that was a group buy here).
MikeSmith
^

« Reply #145 on: September 17, 2015, 08:46:00 PM »

I'm a self-identified OSS fanboy...  Grin

But my questions are serious--I'm trying to learn as much as I can about it and there aren't very many users out there yet.  I'm a little late to this conversation, but I have a few questions--my comments in bold:

Cons

Its longer than most cans(a lot): Would you mind putting a tape measure on this?  From OSS's web site http://www.osssuppressors.com/technology.html, they say that the BPR1+SRM4 adds 5" compared to a standard M4 with flash hider.  Is the Tavor version significantly longer than that?  If the 5" number is accurate then doesn't that put it in the same range as most 5.56 suppressors?  I know the over-the-barrel section gives the impression of it being super-long to the casual observer, but what's the real story?

Cannot easily be swapped onto other guns: Not sure what you're saying here, but my understanding is all you need is an additional FHMB--are you referring to the extra cost of that?

FHMB must be semipermanently installed onto host gun via red loclite( this was the big bad for me, this was never explained or stated previous to purchase. Its a 1 gun can unless you purchase an additional fhm, and another tax stamp.: My understanding was they were working with the ATF to make sure a stamp wasn't needed for an additional FHMB.  I haven't heard if that was resolved, but hopefully that should take care of this problem...?

Almost twice the price of most cans.: I don't know what you paid in the group buy, but I recently saw the AR version for sale online for $795, which is comparable to many other respected brands.  Hopefully that wasn't a fluke and prices will be reasonable as they ramp up production...

The timing cap is a PITA and sharp.: Was this a Gen 4?  It looks like the Gen 5 has addressed this...?

Cleanin it sux too.: I have not seen any discussion of cleaning intervals... did they give you recommendations with it?  Or are you just cleaning it because you want it to be clean?

Pros
It does perform very well. Sound reduction is excellent and no weapon malfuntions as of yet. : How would you compare it to traditional suppressors?  This seems to be something the skeptics focus on, because OSS measures things different from the industry "standard".  Have you done any side by side comparisons or seen it done anywhere?

No tavor face. None.
Less wear and tear on rifle due to overgassing/backpressure issues associated with all other cans.

Vwnatas

« Reply #146 on: September 17, 2015, 09:22:02 PM »

Pics for measurements

* image.jpg (1749.62 KB, 3264x2448 - viewed 261 times.)

* image.jpg (1975.25 KB, 3264x2448 - viewed 246 times.)

* image.jpg (2009.28 KB, 3264x2448 - viewed 249 times.)

Vwnatas

« Reply #147 on: September 17, 2015, 09:25:32 PM »

More

* image.jpg (1404.59 KB, 3264x2448 - viewed 250 times.)

* image.jpg (1588.78 KB, 3264x2448 - viewed 231 times.)

* image.jpg (1662.17 KB, 3264x2448 - viewed 238 times.)

Vwnatas

« Reply #148 on: September 17, 2015, 09:51:52 PM »

First of all, your not looking at OSSs Ar can. This is the TVR-1 tavor specific can. Specific to lenght over bore.So an overall increase if 6+ inches. Comparable to many 5.56 cans. Not 5" like their AR cans. Yes this is gen4. No gen5 for the tavor that im aware of.after speaking w GENSTRAT and OSS directly as of june2015 another FMBH can be purchased. Something like $350 if memory serves me. + ANOTHER $200 tax stamp. (I dont get it either?? Not the can, but technically a "component". Cost,.. Well we in the groupbuy were sworn to secrecy, but lets just say it was SIGNIFICANTLY higher than the 795$ i also saw on SILENCERSHOPs webpage. It is however a much more specific build better suited to keep the OAL down as much as possible. Tavors do not have 6-10" exposed barrel like an AR. Thusly the OSS can cannot go back over the barrel as far due to interference with the handguard. The product as a whole is excellent and far superior to any other cans ive used(specwar, osprey, saker, AAC,..) as far as gas mitigation and lack of FTE FTF and DF malfuctions. Ive had 0 issues at close to 700 rnds of firing w/o cleaning all same day. I did wish to disassemble/inspect/ and clean after. Whoah, what a job. Everything internally and the timing cap edges are RAZOR SHARP!! 1000s of tiny vanes and ports. Carbon city. I may call OSS and ask if the components can be put into my sonic cleaner or is there a product they recomend.
As far as sound ive shot it side by side with the SAKER 5.56.  Now im kinda deaf anyways so bear w me, but they sounded the same loudness, but a different tone. Cant really explain.

coolhand77
^

« Reply #149 on: September 17, 2015, 10:15:09 PM »

unlike conventional baffle designs, the backpressure increase is about 3% instead of 30%  Thats a big plus [cuts down on Tavor face]

I'm with everyone else in hoping OSS challanges the muzzle device issue.  I would love to be able to mount an OSS FHMB on other rifles so that I can use the suppressor on other rifles.
CodeSection

« Reply #150 on: September 17, 2015, 11:44:25 PM »

Many purchasers in the group buy in are not using red loctite on the FHMB.  They are either using nothing or Rocksett.  This allows them to easily remove everything and attach it to another rifle.

A quick call to OSS, both Jonathan and Kieth confirmed the above.  BTW, the OSS suppressor IS self tightening.  In addition, other manufactures of suppressors recommend and use Rocksett since it can handle over 2100 degrees (red loctite I believe only handles 650 degrees) and it is easy to remove the suppressor.

Good luck!
Vwnatas

« Reply #151 on: September 18, 2015, 08:49:51 AM »

I have twice experienced the second half of the can loosen during firing. Not a lot, but its not tight. I could see the 2 halves of the octogon backing off just a bit. And i cranked the timing cap very well with a punch turned sideways in the slots. When it gets hot it does begin to loosen ever so.

MikeSmith
^

« Reply #152 on: September 18, 2015, 08:53:39 AM »

Thanks to all you guys for being early adopters/guinea pigs--we appreciate your service to the community!  Smiley

If I'm reading the tape and doing the mental math right, this Tavor version adds about 3.5" in short form and 7" in long form from the end of the muzzle.   A quick look at AAC's web site shows their new SR5 has a length of 6.7" (I'm assuming that's to the base of the threads) and an MSRP of $1,095.  The threads on the Tavor appear to be about 3/4".  So the OSS adds approximately 1" to the overall weapon length compared to the AAC.  (Yes, I know AAC has shorter options but I'm assuming they don't compare to the OSS in specific DB reduction--I noted in MAC's suppressor test videos that those shorter options were significantly louder on the meter than others).  All that to say that at least for my purposes I'd consider the OSS to be in the same length range as conventional designs with similar performance.

If you compare the Gen 4 and Gen 5 FHMB and end piece to what you now see on the OSS web site and FaceBook page you can see there are significant differences.  Now I'm wondering if some of the changes to the FHMB were necessary to get the ATF to let them sell it without a stamp...?

Now that I'm reminded that it's supposed to be a self-tightening system, I'm curious about the loctite recommendation... I wonder if anybody has gone without it and shot a significant number of rounds to see if it's really necessary...
Vwnatas

« Reply #153 on: September 18, 2015, 11:01:52 AM »

I have not loctited or rockset my can yet. Im leaning toward the rockset. The biggest difference and also the biggest selling point for me was the lack of blowback. Not only is it better for your gun as far as wear, it also means no gasface or "Tavor Face". That s*** burns your eyes and nose.

coolhand77
^

« Reply #154 on: September 18, 2015, 12:05:48 PM »

I think the loctite is more to keep the fhmb attached to the muzzle while you remove the bprm. Otherwise it wants to unscrew from the muzzle before the threads on the bprm release from the fhmb
coolhand77
^

« Reply #155 on: September 18, 2015, 10:52:11 PM »

BTW, Heres mine  Grin

* IMAG0538.jpg (2765.32 KB, 3264x1840 - viewed 385 times.)
Inigo Montoya
^

« Reply #156 on: September 19, 2015, 07:09:29 AM »

Sweet rig, Coolhand!
coolhand77
^

« Reply #157 on: September 19, 2015, 07:32:28 AM »

THANKS...its at that "almost done, but really needs an Elcan" stage
Inigo Montoya
^

« Reply #158 on: September 19, 2015, 10:26:20 AM »

Have you seen Vwnatas's Tavor in the official picture thread #54?  Dream machine!
AUG556Shooter
Banned

« Reply #159 on: September 27, 2015, 11:45:08 AM »

BTW, Heres mine  Grin

Awesome looking TAVOR, brother.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length