Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2019, 12:40:29 PM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  IWI TAVOR
| | |-+  IWI Tavor SAR & X-95
| | | |-+  ASC Tavor 9mm Magazines - Review & Comparison - UPDATED WITH REVIEWS!
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: ASC Tavor 9mm Magazines - Review & Comparison - UPDATED WITH REVIEWS!  (Read 12026 times)
OffTheSetProps

Off The Set Props - From Studio, To Set, To You

« on: February 03, 2014, 04:31:07 PM »

UPDATE BELOW!

I am working with ASC directly to not only become a dealer of their products but to review and compare their range of magazines designed for the 9mm Colt AR platforms.  After the review I will report my findings here as well as to ASC and hopefully be able to bring exclusive pricing to Bullpup Forum members if desired.

I will be testing and determining the following.

1.  Are ASC magazines in fact being issued with the Tavor 9mm kit or are the magazines that come with the kit being made / sourced elsewhere.

2.  What if anything is different between the kit issued magazine and the different types of magazines on the market compared to the ASC magazines.  How do they compare to factory Colt and aftermarket OEM style 9mm AR magazines regarding cuts, fit and finish.

3.  Are the ASC magazines fully compatible with the Tavor - Trials and extensive testing to be conducted to ensure and determine fit, function and reliability over a 2000 round various condition test using multiple types of 9mm ammo.

4.  Test the different capacity magazines offered by ASC for potential use with the Tavor 9mm kit to ensure states with bans have viable options.

5.  Try to break the ASC magazine while in use with the Tavor, cause failures and or stop them from working on the range and in a mild tactical environment for a better understanding of the function of the Tavor in active environments.

6.  Give an overall unbiased review of the ASC products and see how if possible to improve or modify the magazines for use with the Tavor platform.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 12:04:55 AM by OffTheSetProps » Logged

Off The Set Props - From Studio, To Set, To Collection
OffTheSetProps

« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 04:31:25 PM »

Well dam I'm glad someone was following the thread!

YES !! UPDATE!!

I ordered the following mags from Brownells and tested them all with several hundred rounds.  I also was sent several mags from ASC for review and tested those as well to report my findings to ASC regarding Tavor compatibility. 

ASC 9mm 32rd, 20rd, 10rd - WORK FLAWLESS - no modification needed - http://www.ammosc.com/9mm-32-rd-magazine/

Tavor 9mm 32rd "factory" mag issued with complete conversion kit - WORKED FLAWLESS - http://www.bullpuparmory.com/product_p/iwi-tsm932b.htm

Colt 9mm Factory AR Mag - Looks identical to ASC but is marked COLT  - WORKS - 2nd best to ASC - http://www.brownells.com/magazines/rifle-magazines/magazines/magazine-assembly-32-round-9mm-prod23233.aspx

ProMag 9mm 32rd AR Mag Plastic / Polyform Semi Waffle mag - UNRELIABLE - Poor riser and spring tension - DO NOT BUY - http://www.brownells.com/magazines/rifle-magazines/magazines/ar-15-m16-32-round-9mm-magazine-prod24643.aspx

Brownells 9mm metal mag 32rd - WORKED but multiple FTF issues required extensive break in and lubrication - http://www.brownells.com/magazines/rifle-magazines/magazines/ar15-32rd-9mm-magazine-prod57092.aspx

Metalform metal 9mm 32rd specific mag - WORKED but multiple FTF issues seems as if spring tension was not enough - http://www.brownells.com/magazines/rifle-magazines/magazines/ar-15-m16-9mm-colt-style-magazine-prod38850.aspx

The ASC worked FLAWLESSLY - I put over 2000 rounds through 30 ASC mags without a problem.  There were no wear issues on the bolt carrier, some slight finish wear on the lips of the magazines which is normal on any of the 9mm AR style mags due to the fit and seating in the mag well.

I ran all of the above listed mags in my full auto 9mm Colt AR SBR and the Tavor and the issues with FTF were all 98% the same, the FTF issues of the other 2% were due to a lack of lubrication on the AR and not the Tavor.  I used Ezox to free up the actions a little on the range and all returned to equal my findings.

It would appear the Colt, ASC and Tavor mags are all the same.  The form that ASC uses is a revised make of the original C Products mag and the fit, finish and quality on the ASC mags is far superior to early C Products mags of the same sizes.

I'd forgot to take pictures of the other mags as they are back at the office and I will also be testing the drum 9mm AR magazines out there as well shortly.

The ammo used was as follows - 1000rds Blazer 115gr FMJ and 1000rd Horandy 9mm Zombie

If you have any questions please let me know and also check out my videos and other videos on YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kyl_fztQTfU - I say wow in the video because the ASC mag was the first to not give me any problems all day.

I am working on special dealer pricing and if an admin from BullPupforum would like I can connect them with my contact at ASC.  Currently the mags are available through BPF but appear to be out of stock.

I should have several hundred ASC mags available shortly.

I bought 50 of them for myself so stock up on the 32 rounders while you can!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 12:05:22 AM by OffTheSetProps » Logged

OffTheSetProps

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 04:40:31 PM »

SEE THE ATTACHED!  More photos and videos to come at the bottom.

* Tavor ASC (1).JPG (427.4 KB, 1547x742 - viewed 1027 times.)

* Tavor ASC (2).JPG (328.59 KB, 1192x871 - viewed 668 times.)

* Tavor ASC (3).JPG (354.84 KB, 1142x857 - viewed 1025 times.)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 12:06:16 AM by OffTheSetProps » Logged

Gear Head
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 01:00:30 AM »

Popcorn

The second Amendment is the last line of defense for the 1st.

Gear Head Works' products are leading the way in innovative designs. Click the globe icon below my Avatar to visit www.gearheadworks.com
wfcwfc
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2014, 08:04:00 AM »

I bought a 10 round and two 20 rounders for my Tavor and the springs in the 20's are different lengths.
When the mags arrived they would not fit in the Tavor.
The feed lips were crimped too close together to be able to push in the final 1/4" to click in place.
So I did a comparison with the Tavor supplied mag and noticed the problem.  
I took a file to the feed lips and enlarged the opening till it matched the Tavor supplied mag.
Now it will properly seat and click into place.
The correct spring is on the way from ASC.
The spring on the left is from the 10 rounder.

* image.jpg (1571.15 KB, 2592x1936 - viewed 448 times.)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 08:15:50 AM by wfcwfc » Logged
Gear Head
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2014, 03:10:32 AM »

Any updates on this? My 9mm showed up today and i need mags now...

The second Amendment is the last line of defense for the 1st.

Gear Head Works' products are leading the way in innovative designs. Click the globe icon below my Avatar to visit www.gearheadworks.com
OffTheSetProps

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2014, 11:51:43 PM »

UPDATE AND NEW PHOTOS ABOVE!

I hightly suggest the Smith Vortex flash hider as well for both the Tavor and AR 9mm rifles.

* Tavor9mm (1).JPG (297.82 KB, 1458x575 - viewed 508 times.)

* Tavor9mm (2).JPG (216.17 KB, 981x703 - viewed 481 times.)

* Tavor9mm (3).JPG (204.74 KB, 1061x716 - viewed 450 times.)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 12:08:43 AM by OffTheSetProps » Logged

Zemliak

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2016, 07:24:36 AM »

ASC 9mm mags are fine and cheap. Two issues:

- Finish is horrible, paint is easy to clean with any non agressive cleaners or just with alcohol. They are getting very dirty in Tavor.
- No 15 rounds available, please think about NJ and CO states limits as well.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 07:26:31 AM by Zemliak » Logged
Captiva
New Posting Member

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2019, 09:03:47 PM »

Looking for something between too long 32 and too short 10 rounders. How about these from C Products?  https://dura-mag.com/product/duramag-ss-9mm-colt-pattern-ss/

Any experience?

TIA
pilot4prophet

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2019, 07:26:56 AM »

I've had no problems with the ASC-mags. I really like the 20 rounders, not too big, not too small, just right.

* P1010321.JPG (3452.46 KB, 4608x3456 - viewed 30 times.)

P4P
klink

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2019, 07:45:50 AM »

Magazine issues. Re-chambered my X95 to 9mm with new bolt/barrel kit from IWI. Purchased 5 additional IWI mags before I read the comments about ASC. Bought 5 more ASC 30+ mags and am now waiting for them to arrive. Anyway, has anyone experienced problems with the insertion of a IWI loaded mag? I'm having a hell of a time getting the mag to fully seat. Almost have to beat it with a hammer (not yet). Is there a break in period or slight mag mod to do or a change in procedure that I need to look at? Help or advice here would be appreciated. Thanks.

Oh and mags not full 32 rounds only at 30.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 07:48:05 AM by klink » Logged
pilot4prophet

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2019, 08:27:07 AM »

Magazine issues. Re-chambered my X95 to 9mm with new bolt/barrel kit from IWI. Purchased 5 additional IWI mags before I read the comments about ASC. Bought 5 more ASC 30+ mags and am now waiting for them to arrive. Anyway, has anyone experienced problems with the insertion of a IWI loaded mag? I'm having a hell of a time getting the mag to fully seat. Almost have to beat it with a hammer (not yet). Is there a break in period or slight mag mod to do or a change in procedure that I need to look at? Help or advice here would be appreciated. Thanks.

Oh and mags not full 32 rounds only at 30.
Is the bolt open?

P4P
klink

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2019, 09:12:51 AM »

Well i did open the bolt after you asked and it worked but I still have to do a hard insert to get the mag to seat and hear the click. I failed to mention that I am right arm, hand and wrist handicapped so just positioning the weapon to use the bolt hold open device poses a big challenge for me. So my guess then is the bolt must be in the open and held position for the magazine insert process. Correct?
pilot4prophet

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2019, 09:39:28 AM »

Well i did open the bolt after you asked and it worked but I still have to do a hard insert to get the mag to seat and hear the click. I failed to mention that I am right arm, hand and wrist handicapped so just positioning the weapon to use the bolt hold open device poses a big challenge for me. So my guess then is the bolt must be in the open and held position for the magazine insert process. Correct?
I think if that works best for you with your disability, that's your drill. My wife has limited abilities as well, and we modify processes as necessary.

P4P
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length