Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 22, 2018, 12:13:43 PM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  IWI TAVOR
| | |-+  IWI Tavor SAR & X-95
| | | |-+  Possible "Tavor face" improvement that is free.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Possible "Tavor face" improvement that is free.  (Read 28997 times)
c7aea

« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2016, 12:54:45 PM »

Sorry guys I don't have definitive results for you. The gun that I did that mod to has been in pieces for a long time and not shootable.

While I was shooting that gun, it never had any malfunctions though. Those holes are at the very end of the carrier stroke and inertia from the recoiling casing has taken over the force of moving the carrier at that point. The gas pressure drops significantly once the piston leaves the gas block.

Thanks for the reply.

So I take it you didn't notice any significant reduction in the abundance of gas? I'd think you'd notice right away after the first rapid fire of 3-5 shots. For me it's not so much like the particles and oil that can spray out like on an AR charging handle area. It's just the amount of gas that makes it hard to breathe and burns the eyes. It needs a better way to vent or reduce the gas.

Have you ever thought of developing something with a suppressed/ non-suppressed setting?
Gear Head
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2016, 01:04:00 PM »

Sorry guys I don't have definitive results for you. The gun that I did that mod to has been in pieces for a long time and not shootable.

While I was shooting that gun, it never had any malfunctions though. Those holes are at the very end of the carrier stroke and inertia from the recoiling casing has taken over the force of moving the carrier at that point. The gas pressure drops significantly once the piston leaves the gas block.

Thanks for the reply.

So I take it you didn't notice any significant reduction in the abundance of gas? I'd think you'd notice right away after the first rapid fire of 3-5 shots. For me it's not so much like the particles and oil that can spray out like on an AR charging handle area. It's just the amount of gas that makes it hard to breathe and burns the eyes. It needs a better way to vent or reduce the gas.

Have you ever thought of developing something with a suppressed/ non-suppressed setting?
I noticed noticed a difference but it was with a FLEx on as well. I didn't notice a difference that I can remember with a FLEx between the holes and no holes. It's been a couple years ago now I think.

My 300blk gas block was adjustable but I never attempted anything with the 5.56 barrel.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

The second Amendment is the last line of defense for the 1st.

Gear Head Works' products are leading the way in innovative designs. Click the globe icon below my Avatar to visit www.gearheadworks.com
semper paratus
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2016, 01:21:14 PM »

GH - not being a suppressed person - I see a lot of the newer guns have some sort of gas adjustment - would it be possible to make the current gas block adjustable and have some of the gas bleed out via another means?
c7aea

« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2016, 04:39:01 PM »

I modified my tube today. However, instead of 2 smaller holes I opted for one larger slit.

As seen from the magwell. You can see it angled towards the right side ejection port. You can also see the tip of the gas piston.

Rahatto
^

« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2016, 04:54:41 PM »

Is it possible to open up the current gas vent hole without fcuking up your weapon cycling?

- If you are always looking at the big picture, you are never
concentrating on the front sight post.
- The well of stupidity has no bottom.
pokemon1989

« Reply #45 on: March 10, 2016, 06:38:01 PM »

You could possibly do what MAC did with that PSL to get it to suppress safely.  But you do so at your own risk.  http://youtu.be/TvO-b163k6Q
Gear Head
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2016, 12:02:36 PM »

GH - not being a suppressed person - I see a lot of the newer guns have some sort of gas adjustment - would it be possible to make the current gas block adjustable and have some of the gas bleed out via another means?

I don't believe this would be easily done. The factory gas block is a forging that is just big enough to get the job done. So that means it is very hard to drill and tap on top of having very little 'meat' available to do it.

As far as opening up the vent port that is already on it, I suppose that is possible but I do not know what the results would be. Plus you have to press off the gas block to get to the hole to drill it larger. Otherwise you have to drill a second hole.

The second Amendment is the last line of defense for the 1st.

Gear Head Works' products are leading the way in innovative designs. Click the globe icon below my Avatar to visit www.gearheadworks.com
Rahatto
^

« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2016, 02:29:01 PM »

I modified my tube today. However, instead of 2 smaller holes I opted for one larger slit.

As seen from the magwell. You can see it angled towards the right side ejection port. You can also see the tip of the gas piston.

Ok have you fired it yet?  If so how is the back pressure and how is it cycling?
Is anyone from IWI on this Forum? They might be able to get this scientificly tested to see if it's a valid alternate way to do it.

- If you are always looking at the big picture, you are never
concentrating on the front sight post.
- The well of stupidity has no bottom.
c7aea

« Reply #48 on: March 11, 2016, 03:01:56 PM »

Ok have you fired it yet?  If so how is the back pressure and how is it cycling?
Is anyone from IWI on this Forum? They might be able to get this scientificly tested to see if it's a valid alternate way to do it.

I haven't shot it yet. Probably early next week some time I will. I don't predict there will be any cycling issues.

I don't think the tube really does much. Like an AK47 gas tube the primary purpose seems to be to guide the piston back into the gas block.

I might even make some more holes further forward on the tube.

TNC
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #49 on: March 11, 2016, 04:54:26 PM »

I haven't shot it yet. Probably early next week some time I will. I don't predict there will be any cycling issues.

I don't think the tube really does much. Like an AK47 gas tube the primary purpose seems to be to guide the piston back into the gas block.

I might even make some more holes further forward on the tube.

Hats off to you and Gearhead for stepping out there to test such things as this.  I know the feeling of cutting, drilling, or modding on valuable firearm components to hopefully pursue a performance benefit.  Having to drill out the gas port on a stainless steel match barrel recently gave me concern, but sometimes you gotta try something different in spite of the norm.  Let us know how she goes.
c7aea

« Reply #50 on: March 16, 2016, 04:30:06 PM »

I shot the rifle today. No malfunctions but it's not any better. By the end of the 1st mag my glasses were covered in spray. I'd guess most of the blowback is coming from the chamber area anyway.

Again just my guess, is that there needs to be more of a delay in bolt unlocking to allow the chamber pressure to drop more. Maybe either by a heavier carrier or less gas. But I'm not going to mess with the gas system.

I might just give up on it and remove the suppressor mount. That Silencerco brake is brutal without a suppressor.

And I'll probably call IWI and ask if they will sell me another tube.
RabbitSlayer
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #51 on: January 29, 2017, 05:27:37 PM »

Can you please do a few mag dumps and see how this works?

I'm getting gassed out without a suppressor, so I want to try buying an extra gas tube and drilling vents in it.
I'm also going to seal off the gun around the rail and other ejections port.

''The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.''
-Thomas Jefferson
chowser51

« Reply #52 on: February 02, 2017, 04:50:01 PM »

I did a gasket maker thing on mine. Under the top rail. Over stuff on the left side. I have the GHW Flex. I'm still getting Tavor faced. Suppressed and unsuppressed. About to give up on the X95 and go back to ARs.
Apache
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #53 on: February 02, 2017, 07:54:03 PM »

This is interesting, I've shot a couple of thousand rounds (unsuppressed) through my SAR and haven't noticed any more gas than I've encountered with any other rifle be it an AK, AR, FAL, HK91, HK51, AUG or any number of rifles. I did put on a MI port cover but that's all so I'm wondering where you guys are getting all this gas from when shooting unsuppressed, it's kinda strange ...

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
Sine Missione
tattooo

« Reply #54 on: February 03, 2017, 10:37:11 PM »

Great info....thanks
chowser51

« Reply #55 on: February 09, 2017, 11:00:57 PM »

What part does the gas cylinder play in this gun?

It's $10 for another one.  Anyone mess with this yet?  It was suggested in an older thread here but no followups.

Don't have my Tavor or manual with me (left them at work since suppressor was way too hot)
I'm bringing a drill with me when I return to work and drilling a hole in the top rail where the 300blk rail has an access port to adjust for suppression.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 11:22:25 PM by chowser51 » Logged
RabbitSlayer
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #56 on: April 13, 2017, 07:35:14 AM »

edit
typo
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 07:40:10 AM by RabbitSlayer » Logged

''The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.''
-Thomas Jefferson
RabbitSlayer
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #57 on: June 01, 2017, 01:53:15 AM »

Any update on this subject ?

-Thomas Jefferson
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length