Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 20, 2018, 12:16:38 PM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  IWI TAVOR
| | |-+  IWI Tavor SAR & X-95
| | | |-+  Possible "Tavor face" improvement that is free.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Possible "Tavor face" improvement that is free.  (Read 31520 times)
Rahatto
^

« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2013, 09:47:16 AM »

Interested... Wink

- If you are always looking at the big picture, you are never
concentrating on the front sight post.
- The well of stupidity has no bottom.
bbies1973

« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2013, 10:53:31 PM »

I have only been able to fire a handful of rounds since I did this. Not enough to know how well it works. But the gun had no issues cycling.
So, in other words, no risk in giving it a try?
Gear Head
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2013, 10:56:14 PM »

I have only been able to fire a handful of rounds since I did this. Not enough to know how well it works. But the gun had no issues cycling.
So, in other words, no risk in giving it a try?

Only voiding your warranty!  Shocked

The second Amendment is the last line of defense for the 1st.

Gear Head Works' products are leading the way in innovative designs. Click the globe icon below my Avatar to visit www.gearheadworks.com
Gear Head
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2014, 09:26:11 PM »

I dug this thread up due to a customer inquiry about gas venting. Since it's a year old I'm sure there are lots of new members that haven't seen it so I'm bumping it.

Gear Head Works' products are leading the way in innovative designs. Click the globe icon below my Avatar to visit www.gearheadworks.com
SGTTucson
^

« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2014, 11:52:23 PM »

Any update on how effective this is at venting the gas with a suppressor? Do you still end up coughing and squinting tears from the gas?
Gear Head
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2014, 09:40:43 PM »

I do not have any kind of definitive data on how much of any this helps. I suppose now that I have more than just the one rifle I could try to test it though.

Rangerone

« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2014, 05:42:36 PM »

Since you have more than one rifle, would you be willing to look at how much carbon fouling occurs inside the area and trigger pack with and without the holes modification?  I would think it would help (when shooting suppressed) to cut down on the carbon fouling with the excess gas venting out the ejection port.

Thanks for bumping the thread 😄
Gear Head
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2014, 05:59:18 PM »

If someone has some really dirty shooting ammo they want to send me, I can shoot it through my test stand. Shooting it with both a stock and drilled tube then filmed at high speed may show the gas venting in different directions.

cal50

« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2014, 08:37:55 PM »

If you have access to a good thermal image camera it might show a better gas / thermal flow.
Gear Head
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2014, 08:56:17 PM »

If you have access to a good thermal image camera it might show a better gas / thermal flow.

I wish I did!

cal50

« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2014, 02:43:07 AM »

I wish I did!

Me too....I use to.
We had a high dollar IR camera used to shoot buss bars and enclosures for hot spots / high resistance.
It worked good for HVAC apps also.
SGTTucson
^

« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2014, 12:58:44 AM »

I'm really curious about possible solutions. I just ran a class today and ran the Tavor for only about 150 rounds suppressed, but it was 2 mags at a time with sustained fire. By the end of the drill, my eyes stung and nostrils burned. I was using an M4-2000 and NO Tula. I also have the plate by GearHead which does help, but I am still coughing. Any thoughts or suggestions? I took the suppressor off for the V-tac drill, I just couldn't take it anymore.
Gear Head
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2014, 01:34:58 AM »

There is still a lot of gas that comes up from the rear of the top rail. Unfortunately that is right in your face. You can most likely see it after shooting still floating up from there. It doesn't have the velocity that the ejection port cover has but it's enough to effect you after a bunch of rounds.

I'll try to get my test stand setup with the different gas tubes and see what happens. I just don't know when I will get to it yet though. I have certainly learned a lot about the Tavor gas system and how it works while building the 300BLK, but I still haven't figured out everything or why they did some of the things they did.

SGTTucson
^

« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2014, 03:46:09 PM »

This rifle is perfect for running suppressed considering the length. I just wish IWI had or will consider a future solution. I'd be willing to purchase a new barrel if the could build a switch block. I guess I'll have to wait it out and see if any solutions come available. Thanks!
genStrat
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2014, 03:59:50 PM »

ok, I'm interested to understand what is needed in the future that isn't already available. If the Tavor is "ok" without a suppressor, then you would think that a suppressor that didn't increase or add to the back pressure (or cycling speed) would be a pretty good thing. Am I missing something?

I know, its kinda off topic. Apologies.

Our duty: To honor, serve and protect those who protect us
l2a3

« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2015, 11:34:26 PM »

Not having  a "Hammer" but will soon, have you thought of allowing the venting the gas in the gas tube before the gas gets to the receiver, like the AK, M-14, AUG, FAL etc?
Gear Head
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2015, 10:25:10 AM »

The gas does vent out of the gas block but the hole is small so much of it still travels down the tube and into the receiver.

c7aea

« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2016, 02:24:38 PM »

Sorry to bring back such an old thread.

GHW did this mod ever work out for you? I recently tried to suppress my Tavor with an omega and it's pretty bad. Im trying to find some possible solutions.

I already have one of your covers BTW. 
Drizzet
^
New Posting Member

« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2016, 04:29:24 PM »

I would also like to know if increasing the hole size improved the gas issue or caused any malfunctions.
Gear Head
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2016, 12:41:42 PM »

Sorry guys I don't have definitive results for you. The gun that I did that mod to has been in pieces for a long time and not shootable.

While I was shooting that gun, it never had any malfunctions though. Those holes are at the very end of the carrier stroke and inertia from the recoiling casing has taken over the force of moving the carrier at that point. The gas pressure drops significantly once the piston leaves the gas block.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length