Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 14, 2019, 05:10:39 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . Desert Tech . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  IWI TAVOR
| | |-+  IWI Tavor SAR & X-95
| | | |-+  Official GHW TMF light compatibility thread. Post your setups!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Print
Author Topic: Official GHW TMF light compatibility thread. Post your setups!  (Read 90842 times)
Gear Head
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« on: September 01, 2013, 02:56:38 PM »

Ok guys (and gals if there are any among us), I have been getting tons of emails about which light to run with the Tavor Modular Forearm. I decided to make a thread dedicated to this topic so as to not derail the thread about the forearm itself and the orders.

When you start getting these in your hands and trying whatever light you have, post your review of it's fit and function here. Even if it didn't work for some reason so fellow bullpupers don't get something that doesn't work.

I've listed the ones here that I have tried with brief descriptions. I will try to get better pictures than what I have to put with these so people can see them as well.

No light is included with the TMF. I have talked to a couple of light manufacturers about dealer pricing so I could include one, but by the time I had them shipped to me, repackaged and shipped back to you it just wasn't worth it. And you would end up paying the same price anyway. The lights I have tried in it so far is the Primary arms compact weapon light and the 4-Sevens Maelstrom MMX.

The Primary arms light can be ordered in black or FDE. You have to buy the tape switch separate. It has a 420 lumen output and is weapon rated.

https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary-Arms-Weapon-Lights-s/424.htm

The 4-Sevens Maelstrom MMX light Is a very impressive light that has a "burst mode" that hits 900 lumens initially then dims to 450 lumens over the next 30 seconds. It also has a strobe, SOS, beacon as well as 3 different brightness settings that are a lower output that can be used for navigation or to save battery life. You can change the settings by turning the head of the light so it can be changed while in the TMF on the gun. It came with a pocket clip, belt holster, black bezel ring, lanyard and batteries. It is weapon rated and has a heat protection circuit built in that will dim the light if it starts to get hot. It is a little larger then the Primary Arms so it will stick out a bit further in the TMF. I actually changed the print some so the MMX light would fit a little better because this is the light I plan on running for a while to try out more. You will have to buy the remote switch separate also. Be sure to get the short-straight version if you plan on putting the switch on the side of the TMF like in my pictures. The same switch should work with most VFG options too.

http://www.foursevens.com/products/MM-X-AF

They also have a slightly cheaper model without the "burst mode"
http://www.foursevens.com/products/MMS-AE

Now I don't know much more about either of these lights and cannot say for sure how well they will hold up. I have done very limited live fire with either as I have spent most of my time working on the TMF and FLEx themselves. The Primary Arms light is made in China and the FourSevens light is assembled in China with both foreign and domestic parts. I suggest you shop around yourselves to see what you like best. I cannot buy every possible light out there to try out. I have a few others here I can try and just haven't yet. I do know that the cheap Botach tactical special I bought initially to use for mock up will NOT work because the plastic body is too much over the 1" OD. I'm sure it could be sanded down to work if you wanted to.

Whatever you end up getting, make sure it can handle the heat and use quality batteries like Surefire that are rated for higher temps. I did a 150 round dump with a suppressor attached to try to get the gun hot to test. Well it got hot, not just the TMF, but the whole entire gun was untouchable. The plastic body of the stock got to over 150F. The only place I could stand to hold it was the pistol grip itself since it is away from the body of the gun. Even the stock in the back was too hot to rest my face on. I filmed the shooting, but the heat soak continued well after the shooting stopped. I will post the video when I get it edited.

New light configuration. 18" Tavor with FDE TMF and Inforce light:

Primary Arms FDE, Primary Arms black, Surefire M951 and Inforce WML (works great on dog leg Magpul light mount kit rail)

« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 08:14:17 AM by Gear Head » Logged

The second Amendment is the last line of defense for the 1st.

Gear Head Works' products are leading the way in innovative designs. Click the globe icon below my Avatar to visit www.gearheadworks.com
Gear Head
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013, 09:48:57 PM »

Would anyone be interested in one of these two lights if I can get a group buy on one and ship them out with your TMF?

Gear Head Works' products are leading the way in innovative designs. Click the globe icon below my Avatar to visit www.gearheadworks.com
Snapperhead363
Global Moderator
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2013, 11:03:41 PM »

I'm in on a group buy for whichever one you go with Gear Head!

NRA Life Member   Bullpup Fanatic Glock Armorer  Owner of Homeland Guns.1-740-820-GUNS
GunStarHero

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 12:42:41 AM »

.......It also has a strobe, SOS, beacon as well as 3 different brightness settings that are a lower output that can be used for navigation or to save battery life. You can change the settings by turning the head of the light so it can be changed while in the TMF on the gun......

GH, plz explain in a little detail how turning the head sets its function? Their site is a little vague, but sounds a little like what I was looking for.

What Id really prefer is a light with a momentary function on/off pad switch, and constant function on/off head-twist option as well.   Strobe isnt really vital.
xpdchief

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 08:35:03 AM »

Would anyone be interested in one of these two lights if I can get a group buy on one and ship them out with your TMF?

GH.  If you can make it happen, I would be interested in the Primary Arms light, complete with switch.

Respectfully submitted,
Brian
Defiant
^

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2013, 09:31:30 AM »

I'm "in" for whichever one works with an 18.

If you recommend a preferred tape switch, that too.

Regards,

"Now you see that evil will always triumph... because good is dumb."
Chuck S

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2013, 10:05:03 AM »

What light and switch are in the photo?  Primary Arms light and switch?

What mount is the switch in? 

A group buy of the high powered MMX-AF and similar switch mounting would interest me.  I have a 600 lumen light on my M4 and appreciate the brightness at carbine ranges.

Can we see a photo with the MMX-AE mounted?

-- Chuck
richm2004

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2013, 10:35:13 AM »

Which Surefire's are compatible?
Gear Head
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2013, 11:09:47 AM »

Function on the Maelstrom light works by twisting the bezel end of the light. Since the body is clamped in the TMF this is easy. It has a knurled band around the head to give you grip. There are 2 ranges of settings. In each range there are 4 positions. One range consist of high, strobe, SOS and beacon. The other range is high, medium, low and moonlight. Moonlight is so dim that you can look right at it and not see spots. It would work for pitch black areas to not mess up your eye's night vision.

To switch between the ranges you twist the head back and forth a few times. It must have some kind of microprocessor control. To switch between modes in a range you turn the head 90 degrees. Every 90 degree rotation goes to another mode.

Hope that makes sense. I intended to do a video review of it but just haven't had time.

The light in the photo is the Primary arms light and tape switch. I will get a picture up of the Foursevens light as soon as I can.

I still haven't been able to try the TMF on an 18" gun. I know this is really slacking on my part but I will try my best to do it in the next few days. The guy I know with an 18" is about 30 miles away and we just have to find time to meet up.

I don't have a Surefire light that has a tape switch but doesn't have a built in rail mount. All mine are stricktly hand held or rail mount. If someone that has one wants to send it to me I will try it and post in this thread. That goes with any light someone may have and wants to know if it will work.

There is almost 4 1/4" of space from the front surface of the TMF cap to where the light would hit something if it was 1" all the way to the end. Both the Foursevens and Primary Arms are about the same length and come in just under 6" with the tape switch cap installed. The Foursevens light has a fatter head though and will stick out farther plus it is larger in diameter at the bezel.

Rick53
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2013, 11:14:25 AM »

HEY count me in for FDE: Any Group buy just let me know: Thanks
Gear Head
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2013, 11:51:44 AM »

HEY count me in for FDE: Any Group buy just let me know: Thanks

To get on the list, you have to email me your shipping information. It is the only way I am keeping track of it right now. If I get a group buy on lights setup I will post it here.

racky
^

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2013, 12:17:09 PM »

Gearhead, The TMF is looking good, & the FDE looks real good, Can't wait!!!!
Gear Head
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2013, 11:05:24 PM »

Pics of the MMX in OP

FreedomFeens

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2013, 10:28:06 AM »

Any good gun lights that run on AA or AAA"s and would fit?  I use rechargeBles in all my gear and wanting want to introduce another system that I cannot recharge.
Aussie E
Banned
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2013, 10:40:58 AM »

You can get CR123 rechargeable batteries.

AE
Gear Head
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2013, 11:01:28 AM »

I don't know anything about rechargeable batteries and how they hold up to certain environments. I don't think Surefire recommends them due to heat so I cannot advise using them.

richm2004

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2013, 11:11:28 AM »

I don't know anything about rechargeable batteries and how they hold up to certain environments. I don't think Surefire recommends them due to heat so I cannot advise using them.

Surefire actually sells 3V rechargeables:
http://www.surefire.com/batteries/2-pack-lfp123-rechargeable-batteries.html
http://www.surefire.com/batteries/sf2r-kit01-charger-kit.html
Gear Head
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2013, 02:11:04 PM »

Surefire actually sells 3V rechargeables:
http://www.surefire.com/batteries/2-pack-lfp123-rechargeable-batteries.html
http://www.surefire.com/batteries/sf2r-kit01-charger-kit.html

Learn something every day! Thanks

Revcomm

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2013, 02:25:09 PM »

One important thing to consider with the Four Sevens MMX.  I have the old 4Sevens G5 which seems to be almost identical(dimensionally) to the MMX.  The G5 will not allow replacing batteries by unscrewing the head.  Batteries must be replaced from the tailcap side.  If the MMX is built the same way you'll have to remove the entire flashlight to change the batteries.  Can anyone verify if this is the case?
Gear Head
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2013, 02:40:07 PM »

One important thing to consider with the Four Sevens MMX.  I have the old 4Sevens G5 which seems to be almost identical(dimensionally) to the MMX.  The G5 will not allow replacing batteries by unscrewing the head.  Batteries must be replaced from the tailcap side.  If the MMX is built the same way you'll have to remove the entire flashlight to change the batteries.  Can anyone verify if this is the case?

This IS the case with the MMX and I think the Primary Arms was well because I tried it.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length