Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 10, 2018, 12:07:01 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  IWI TAVOR
| | |-+  IWI Tavor SAR & X-95
| | | |-+  IDF Model Mepro removal
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: IDF Model Mepro removal  (Read 10472 times)
fnhjay

« on: August 26, 2013, 04:03:24 PM »

Hey guys, I'll keep this as short as possible.

I have a friend with a used MARS sight that he'd like to swap for my Mepro. When I first signed up for the IDF Model a year or so ago, I knew that I eventually wanted to put a MARS on it - it was dream setup at the time. I'm getting closer to that reality, and saving a few bucks in the process - so I'm really excited about that.

I think I've figured out how I am going to get the MARS on there, but I have no idea how to get the Mepro off. I hope this isn't something I'm going to have to send to IWI for, that would be ridiculous.

If any of you know how I can get this thing off, please let me know.

Cheers,
FNHJay
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 09:15:44 PM by fnhjay » Logged
Dred

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 05:13:00 PM »

IWI lists this as an Armorer's task.

The Armorer's manual is linked in the sticky for the revised Owner's Manual.  Good luck.
xm777

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 05:56:46 PM »

Remove the barrel and remove the MEPRO mounting hardware. IF your MARS has the QD levers, you are going to have to swap them for some bolts.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
darkest2000

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 07:43:18 PM »

Switching out Meprolight is easy to do, just a couple of nuts and washers.

The part that makes it an "armoror's task" is the fact that you must remove the barrel first, which requires a special wrench.

Here's my IDF setup that I did, I put in a MARS and replaced with a 18" barrel with bayonet.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 07:54:11 PM by darkest2000 » Logged
fnhjay

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 08:35:17 PM »

Thanks for the reply gentlemen. VERY much appreciated.

So I ordered the barrel wrench from IWI today. I have the MARS sight and it is one with the QD Mount, does anyone know what bolts/screws I need to pick up? Rather order them ahead of time, I don't have much laying around here.

Darkest, your setup is great and exactly what I was going for. I was waiting for the 18" barrels to be sold separately for a more authentic IDF feel.
darkest2000

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2013, 09:12:56 PM »

I actually started out with two Tavors, an 18" flattop and a 16.5" IDF, and that gave me the necessary parts to do the conversion.

Maybe not the most cost effective method but sure beats waiting forever for IWI to come out with their conversion kit or spare barrels, that's assuming if that's even on their to-do list, and I still end up with two Tavors.

For the mounting hardware, I actually used the same nuts and bolts for mounting the factory flattop rail, they're a perfect fit in place of the QD mount on the MARS.

You may want to call up IWI and see if they will sell those mounting hardware separately, although I'm sure you will be able to find similar size nuts and bolts at a hardware store.

fnhjay

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2013, 09:17:14 PM »

Thanks for the info!!  Smiley

Seeing as your one of the only people I've seen with this setup, maybe you can help me with another question - do you know if the Mepro MX3 Magnifier will work with the MARS or is the MARS too high? If so, do you know of a magnifier that will work? Thanks again.
xm777

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2013, 10:12:34 PM »

This is the hardware I used for mounting mine:

(2) Metric Class 12.9 Socket Head Cap Screw Alloy Steel, M4 Thread, 35mm Length, 0.70mm Pitch
(4) DIN 125 Black-Oxide 18-8 SS Flat Washer M4 Screw Size, 9mm OD, .70mm-.90mm Thick
(2) Metric Black-Oxide 18-8 SS Hex Nut M4 Size, .7mm Pitch, 7mm Width, 3.2mm Height

Basically, a M4x35mm Bolt or Socket Head Screw with Matching Nut and Washers.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 08:23:57 AM by xm777 » Logged

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
fnhjay

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2013, 09:47:06 AM »

awesome! thanks a ton to you all.

anyone know about the magnifier?
happyghost

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2013, 02:09:47 PM »

I think you should call makogroup which is a distributor of mx3 and find out if it match MARS. And let us know the answer too.
http://www.themakogroup.com/Articles.asp?ID=238
GunStarHero

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2013, 02:19:11 PM »

I think you should call makogroup which is a distributor of mx3 and find out if it match MARS. And let us know the answer too.
http://www.themakogroup.com/Articles.asp?ID=238

Might even try PM-ing Mako through theBPF:
http://bullpupforum.com/index.php?action=profile;u=7150
brodband

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2013, 11:23:34 PM »

FINALLY, someone that uploaded an IDF model pic with the MARS installed.  thanks.

I really want to get one, but want the IR version.  How hard is that to come across?
darkest2000

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2013, 05:32:28 PM »

Last I heard the IR version are supposedly restricted to MIL/LEO only and they're hard to find in new condition, the visible laser version can be found on ebay for $3~500 depending on condition..
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 05:55:23 PM by darkest2000 » Logged
fnhjay

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2013, 03:52:05 PM »

as far as I can tell they both seem to advertise being IR...what's the difference if you don't mind my asking
darkest2000

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2013, 04:11:53 AM »

The IR version has an invisible laser only visible to IR night vision, the "regular" one uses a visible laser that can be seen by the naked eye and not very tactically sound...
Geezah
New Posting Member

« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2013, 12:53:59 PM »

I own the flattop Tavor and also own a ITL MARS, which with the quick disconnect, sits way too high on the flattop.

Is there anyone that may possibly be interested in converting their IDF model Tavor over to a flattop and swap out the necessary with myself?

I have tried getting the parts needed from IWI, but given they are using all parts to fill open orders, it may be a while, and I am not prepared to buy a brand new rifle just to install the MARS.

WichitaBob55
New Posting Member

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2018, 07:33:50 PM »

Well, I know it's been 5 years, but I DO want to convert an IDF Tavor SAR to a Tavor Flattop.  Still interested?
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length