Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 07, 2020, 09:02:39 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . Desert Tech . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  Steyr AUG and clones AUG icon
| | |-+  MSAR STG icon
| | | |-+  gas regulator plug disappeared
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: gas regulator plug disappeared  (Read 5678 times)
Sgt 45

« on: August 17, 2013, 11:06:19 PM »

I was at the range today doing some off hand shooting and most of my cases were being flung behind me.  Shooter next to me opined that the gun needed more gas, so I turned the regulator to the high setting.  First shot seemed odd and the gun didn't cycle, second shot also seemed different and then I noticed the plug on the end of the regulating assembly had gone missing.  I still had the spring and plunger.  Needless to say my shooting was at an end.  Not happy.  I did fire off an e-mail to MSAR but this being Saturday, I'll probably have to wait until Monday to see what gives.  I did take the rifle to the store where I bought it and tried a different plug, it seems to fit OK so I don't have a clue as to what happened.
Mainframe2030

« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2013, 12:41:33 PM »

Barring any material failure on the part of your rifle, I'd posit that you may have accidentally moved the plug towards the GR setting and stopped at the 'click' part where you would normally remove the plug.  If this is what happened, then I suspect that your gas plug is somewhere downrange; got a metal detector?    Wink

I've done it myself while doing some disassembly/assembly and thankfully caught my error prior to hitting the range.  YMMV.

Ed
Sgt 45

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 11:48:51 AM »

That wouldn't surprise me, I've got a call in to MSAR, awaiting a call back.
Sgt 45

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2013, 11:51:02 AM »

I did get in touch with MSAR and had to order the complete gas regulator kit, it came in a couple of days and all is well now.  It was an expensive lesson to say the least.  Now if they'd just come out with a 6.5 Grendel conversion - I'd even settle for their 6.8.
Tomac

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 12:07:25 PM »

I found out the hard way exactly how far downrange the gas regulator will launch itself when set to the 'remove' setting. Embarrassed
Fortunately, I was able to find it after some careful searching but it really taught me a lesson (experience keeps a harsh school, but a fool will learn in no other) and now I have a few spares put back just in case I need to take a refresher course.  Wink
Tomac
Sgt 45

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2013, 02:25:14 PM »

How far did it go?  I'd like to go back to the range if I knew where to look.
richied

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2013, 12:30:17 PM »

kinda late to the game in this forum for me haven't read it much since trading my MSAR.  Tomac(we've exchanged emails before) and others with gas plug issues.  Just before I traded my MSAR, I was about to send it back for this issue.  They had me look at the bolt carrier...I think if I recall if it had a little dimple someplace, don't remember exactly where, but if it had it they said it was a stainless steel one and they had problems with the rods working their way out causing them to hit the piston and thus the gas plug.  Mine had cracked but didn't go flying.
Halmbarte

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2013, 12:21:17 PM »

I was at the range today doing some off hand shooting and most of my cases were being flung behind me.  Shooter next to me opined that the gun needed more gas, so I turned the regulator to the high setting.  First shot seemed odd and the gun didn't cycle, second shot also seemed different and then I noticed the plug on the end of the regulating assembly had gone missing.  I still had the spring and plunger.  Needless to say my shooting was at an end.  Not happy.  I did fire off an e-mail to MSAR but this being Saturday, I'll probably have to wait until Monday to see what gives.  I did take the rifle to the store where I bought it and tried a different plug, it seems to fit OK so I don't have a clue as to what happened.

Why would cases being ejected behind you make anyone think your AUG needed more gas?

If the bolt doesn't strip the next round or lock back when the mag is empty you need more gas.

This guy says the Steyr gas regulator will swap with the MSAR.

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=6&f=43&t=309608

PJ has them for $95.

http://steyr-aug.com/gplug.jpg

H
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 12:42:26 PM by Halmbarte » Logged
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length