Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2021, 05:40:19 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . Desert Tech . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  All Other Bullpup Rifles
| | |-+  CBRPS Spike Review and Comparison to SGW (Shernic) Bullpup
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: CBRPS Spike Review and Comparison to SGW (Shernic) Bullpup  (Read 49932 times)
wbassett

« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2012, 10:36:59 PM »

Here's a size comparison of the Spike compared to an SVT-40... that's quite the difference in size! 
BullPop

« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2012, 07:56:07 AM »

that is huge   Grin

Illegitimus non carborundum...
rshooter
New Posting Member

« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2012, 08:44:16 PM »

where did you get the suppressor for your sks make it look really nice. is it home made or aftermarket.
wbassett

« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2012, 09:07:18 PM »

It's aluminum tubing.

Yes it is for looks but also has a function too...  it isn't a suppressor, but it looks cool!  That's actually it's purpose... a barrel shroud.  The pup design makes it really easy to come in contact with the barrel, and they can get pretty hot after a few mags.  So this helps keep from burning yourself on a hot barrel.
johnny9
Bullpup Fanatic

jack of all trades,master of none!

« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2012, 08:57:17 AM »

nice write up  Wink i think i like the spike better myself..just cant get used to that big carry handle but the design and looks are very nice..love the barrel shroud also Cool

get r done
wbassett

« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2012, 10:56:33 AM »

What I like about the spike is it's simplicity in design and ease of breaking it down for cleaning.

The carry handle really isn't all that big and actually seems to set the scope at a nice eye level.  It doesn't come like this, but I intend to mod the handle to have a quick peep sight for closer shots, won't exactly be irons, but should be usable.

Also a neat feature of the Spike is you can remove the handle if you don't like it.  The kit comes with a flat, but for whatever reason they didn't put a rail on the flat.  That made no sense to me, however it's kinda a moot point seeing you can use an aftermarket gas tube with a built in rail and put your scope on that.  To me it is a much more versatile platform.
wbassett

« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2012, 10:40:28 PM »

Brief update:

A few weeks back I contacted Bernie and told him I was interested in another Spike (and the Cosack pup kit for the Nagant) and he just sent me an email today with an invoice for an SKS Spike Smiley

Last one I ordered I got 3 days after I made my payment.  Seeing this is late Friday night and Monday is a holiday, so I expect to get it end of next week.  This is by far the biggest difference between Shernic and CBRPS... CBRPS is actually making and shipping kits!  Well not that SGW isn't, just that it literally takes them months to a year or more to ship while another startup company that's been around just about the same amount of time as SGW is able to do several production runs a year and ship within days, not months. 

Both companies need to get to the point they have stocks on order and can process an order and ship their product within a day or two.  The first to get to that point will be the winner in my opinion.  And right now it looks like Bernie is almost there...  Shernic has a long way to go.

I will be placing an order for another SGW kit in a few weeks, but I don't expect to see a shipping invoice until sometime next year. 
wbassett

« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2012, 02:24:09 PM »

It's here already!
And Monday was a holiday too...
savage1r

« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2012, 10:41:20 PM »

Just thought I'd show off my sgworks gun set up as a DMR. Comes in at a slightly hefty 11lbs with a full mag, but I may switch back to the factory 10.

The laser does not obstruct the scope, doesn't even show up at minimum zoom, I wanted it mounted above so the angle will follow the drop of the bullet more closely. Hopefully, I'll be able to sight it in this weekend or next to see what kind of groups I can get.
Sgt_P
Administrator
Bullpup Fanatic

SEMPER FIDELIS

« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2012, 07:53:52 AM »

Great looking set-up!!

That definately changes the look of the old rifle!!   Cool

"Retreat, hell we just got here!" 
Capt L Williams, USMC, WWI (Belleau Wood)
wbassett

« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2013, 03:37:00 PM »

It's finally together.  
I didn't bother taking pictures of the build since there are already a multitude of videos showing the build.

I'll be taking pictures of the whole family as well as adding my final build comments.  The pups still need to go to the range and after that I'll have an operational assessment of the two of them.

Here is my assessment and rating so far:

Not included in the rating above but worth mentioning is the latch to the spring door on the SGW that acts as the shell deflector; and by opening this door it allows the use of stripper clips-  This latch is going to break.  It's not an 'if', it's a definite 'when'.  When it does finally break the door is going to stay up unless something is rigged up.

The plastic of the SGW looks a helluva lot nicer and more of a 'professional' finish look than the CBRPS ABS plastic, but the CBRPS looks tougher.  The SGW does look very nice, but I have a few airsoft guns and the look and feel is the same as a high end airsoft stock.  Whether that's good or bad, my verdict is still out on that.

I didn't take too much off the CBRPS Spike not accomodating the stock box magazine because most people are going to go with a Tapco anyway.  Still it is a negative in my opinion.  However the reason why it isn't OEM box mag friendly is because the entire back stock is made of aluminum and there is no hinged cover to access the open bolt area to use strippers.  It is much more solid than the SGW rear stock and even though a catastrophic failure would still cause some serious injury to the user, I'd rather have some metal between my face and the receiver than some airsoft grade plastic.

Fit and finish isn't perfect on either stock.  The CBRPS looks rough and even unfinished in some areas.  The SGW should win this area in spades, but it has some problems too.  There are gaps here and there where things don't fit perfectly together, they are small gaps but still there none-the-less.  The pistol grip has the biggest issue, the seams aren't tight and I can actually see light through the gap.  Again it is very small, but still there.  The Spike doesn't have any gaps like this.

The SGW comes with an integrated rail on the upper handguard.  The Spike comes with two uppers... one is an AR style carry handle with a RIS rail, and a flattop upper- but this doesn't have a rail system which I don't understand why they didn't add one.  However the Spike offers something the SGW doesn't.  You can remove the upper altogether and use a gas tube with a rail system.  Also it looks like if you leave the upper off the original sights may even be useable.  I'll have to investigate that some more.

Neither have a rail system under the stock to accomodate accessories like a vertical grip.  However the Spike already has a built in front grip, and the SGW offers (extra cost) an EXTREMELY UGLY Tri-Rail system.  Right now that is on back order from SGW.  I was sent the mounting hardware but no rails.
_________________________________________________________________________________

Looks don't mean much though, performance is the real deal.  Both of these pups accomplish the main goal of a bullpup design, and that is to reduce the overall length while retaining a full length barrel for greater accuracy.  Both of these kits feel great to shoulder.  Overall they both make the SKS more balanced and easy to manuever.

I need to get these to a range and tweak the triggers on both.  One of the big items I will be rating pretty hard will be field stripping for cleaning.  I don't know which will come out ahead, but I can say one of the brass screw inserts on the SGW is already loose and I hope this rig isn't going to be like a piece of Sauder furniture- looks good (from a distance) but don't take it apart and expect it to last after repeated assembly and disassembly.  Only time will tell, but I can already determine this-  Field stripping either of these pups is not going to be anywhere close to as easy as an SKS in its original configuration.
Quick update-

I hate to say it, but I totally called this one!

Not included in the rating above but worth mentioning is the latch to the spring door on the SGW that acts as the shell deflector; and by opening this door it allows the use of stripper clips-  This latch is going to break.  It's not an 'if', it's a definite 'when'.  When it does finally break the door is going to stay up unless something is rigged up.

It seems that I was right and this is an issue and point of failure some people are encountering, and I think I can safely say everyone that owns the first generation kit will eventually encounter as well.  It breaks.

Fortunately (for now at least) SGW is offering replacement upgrade parts made of metal for those that had failures.  I personally feel they should be offering it to everyone, but it's not my company.

They are working on a new rear receiver cover that has the upgraded parts as well as some other tweaks.

On the CBRPS front... they are still going strong and I would still rate the CBRPS as being way tougher out of the two platforms.  Let me put it this way... being ex-military I feel you could take the CBRPS into combat, but I wouldn't take the SGW anyplace but the range for some fun.  BUT- CBRPS has slightly raised their prices.  The Spike is up to $275 now, which is probably $125 more than I feel it should cost.  Especially when you consider the SGW goes through a helluva lot more molding and fab work and I can make all the CBRPS parts out of oak and bend some sheet metal for the rear receiver cover.  The SGW is still at $199.95 and it appears they have shipping down to a week.  Personally I feel both kits should be in the $150 range, but they know they have a niche item.

For a civilian pup at a decent price, they both still pass.  Neither fails and neither hits a home run.  Both look cool and shoulder well and are loads of fun.  Just don't drop the SGW!
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 03:52:42 PM by wbassett » Logged
Paletiger
^

« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2013, 02:59:15 PM »

I'd like to see one for my Krinkov! Now that would be a challenge in design
wbassett

« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2013, 03:06:08 PM »

There is one Smiley

This is one area where CBRPS definitely beats SGW in, and that is variety and various platforms.
It's not the prettiest thing in my opinion.
Price is $240
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 03:10:31 PM by wbassett » Logged
rideabike06
New Posting Member

« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2015, 01:34:06 AM »

Fellas I got a Pug from CBRPS and the trigger doesn't reset. Emails to Bernie go unanswered and I've tried resetting it's trigger block. Just doesn't work no matter tweaking the connecting rod or resetting the trigger group. Also it seems more convenient to have a mag I can use stripper clips with. Sent another email asking to return the kit so I can afford the cheaper, better and unfortunately less pretty SG offering. With SO much more customizing info available online (scope, sight, mag, muzzle, etc) it seems a no brainer to utilize the SG platform. Thoughts?

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length