Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 23, 2018, 04:27:22 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  IWI TAVOR
| | |-+  IWI Tavor SAR & X-95
| | | |-+  Scope Height Issue: Need suggestions please
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Scope Height Issue: Need suggestions please  (Read 6948 times)
kwesi

« on: July 11, 2013, 05:29:23 PM »

First a big thanks for all the great information on the Bullpupforum!  Just picked up my Tavor last night (Black 16.5). I'm totally new to scopes although I do have an Aimpoint Comp ML2.  I recently purchased an inexpensive Bug Buster scope to be used on another rifle. I purposely went low budget to educate myself. The Bug Buster was zeroed recently on an AR and was mounted on top of the carry handle.  This morning I put the scope on the Tavor and I could not position my cheek low enough to see thru.  I removed the handle on the AR and mounted it and the scope on the Tavor and it was perfect. So much for the background.

The handle sits 2" higher.  I'm not sure I needed that much height.  Possibly 1" would work fine.  The scope came with two QD rings which I want to keep.  My question is what options are our there to elevate the scope?

Is this a known issue with the rail on the Tavor or is it relative to the scope design?  BTW: I LOVE my first bullpup! Thanks!
anm2_man

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 05:54:31 PM »

You have the same problem as I have, and I think a bunch of other's. 

On my RFB, I needed a riser.

Now on my Tavor, I could use one, but this red dot seems to be high enough.

But its on the low side, and I need to get my cheek really low.

Ronmar

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 07:49:19 PM »

Probably the best way to determine what hight scope mount you need, is with some long narrow blocks of wood.  Sized as long and as wide as your rail is perfect.  Experiment with taping different height combinations of blocks in place on top of the rail and then shouldering the rifle.  Start with your eyes closed, and shoulder it so you achieve a comfortable natural cheekweld, then open your eyes.  What you are looking for is a block height combination that you can just look along entire top plane of the block from your natural cheekweld.  Too low, and you can see the top face.  Too high, and you cannot see the far edge, just the near end toward your eye. Just right and you can barely see the far end which means youy are looking right along the top plane/surface of the block  Measure the thickness of the blocks at that point and that is your height from rail top to optic centerline.  that is how I chose the optic mount height for my RFB...

If you were refering to a flat topped AR with a removable carry handle, you will probably find that the sight line thru the carry handle is about 1.47" above the rail top.  This is the height on a flat topped receiver that coincides with the standard A2 front sight/gasblock...  In my experience an optic attached to the carry handle is a little high forcing me to hover over my most natural cheekweld  and nose to charging handle position to look thru the optic... 
dawg180
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 07:57:16 PM »

The rail on the Tavor is very low, and quite a few people have had the same issue. 

You can get picatinny risers that can raise it up to your preferred height, I would try a 1/2" high or 1" high riser depending on your Scope objective size.
wfcwfc
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 08:01:07 PM »

I use a Vortex Viper on my Tavor
Originally I had a Vortex mount that raised the 30mm scope 1.56" above the rail.
it felt too low for me.  It was usable, but I had to scrunch my cheek down to get the proper sight picture.
Somebody here told me about a Larue mount that is 1.93" high.
It was expensive but I like the quick disconnect levers and you get dillow dust with it.
The Larue mount is just right for me.

kwesi

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2013, 09:14:38 PM »

After attaching the scope to some other rails and sitting it in place on the Tavor my guess is that a 1/2" riser gets it into view but maybe a 1" rise gives more options for me. But as I stated above the AR handle height was very comfortable.  Is it best to get the lowest that gives you a comfortable cheek weld?  As you raise it higher does it affect accuracy in any way?
Ronmar

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2013, 09:24:10 PM »

You want the scope alignment that goes with the comfortable cheekweld.  Higher and you will find yur cheek hovering for sight picture, making your hold looser and less consistent...
tmckay2

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2013, 10:26:27 PM »

everyone is different but im 5'9 and have a vortex pst 1-4x in an adm recon mount. feels completely natural
wfcwfc
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2013, 06:33:31 AM »

everyone is different but im 5'9 and have a vortex pst 1-4x in an adm recon mount. feels completely natural

Which mount?
Most of them are 1.38 above rail for the 30mm scope.
That would be very low on a tavor.
The recon-H however is 1.84 which sounds about perfect.

I really like my vortex. The 1 power is like a red dot scope with the ability to dial up to 4 power.

kwesi

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2013, 08:12:17 AM »

You want the scope alignment that goes with the comfortable cheekweld.  Higher and you will find yur cheek hovering for sight picture, making your hold looser and less consistent...

Thanks.  Now I understand.  Just ordered two risers: 1/2" and .83".  My guess is one of these will be the ticket.
Chuck S

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2013, 08:09:20 AM »

M4 height dot sights work fine on my Tavor and cowitness with the iron sights.  The Tavor sights are significantly higher above bore than the M4 though so M4 firing tables do not work.

The photo was taken to show a quickie flashlight mount.  The EoTech 553 comes with the proper height sight base.  The Aimpoint CompM4 comes with the right base too, the earlier CompM-series needs an "M4 mount."

Both the 553 and CompM4 are large sights.  I prefer the CompM4 and don't turn it off ever (anyone want a like-new EoTech 553?)  The Aimpoint PRO comes with the M4 mounts and is a bargain.  There are smaller, high quality dot sights too.  I just prefer what I'm used to (military contracts).

-- Chuck
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length