Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 21, 2014, 08:05:58 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News: The 3rd Annual  BULLPUP CONVENTION                                              27 - 28 September, 2014                               Rockcastle Shooting Center, Park City, KY                              Saturday Manufacturers Showcase and Live Shoot                                Sunday The Bullpup Challenge                              See you there!!                

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
Brownells . . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . . . . . . . FFL123.com . . . carhartt . . . K & M Arms
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  IWI Tavor
| | |-+  Trigger pull down to about 5# (pics added)
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Trigger pull down to about 5# (pics added)  (Read 2640 times)
Pistolpete

« on: July 02, 2013, 10:24:37 PM »

I just got my Tavor last week. Now, I was inspecting the trigger pack and everything, and was looking at the linkage/ trigger mechanism in it. It appeared to me that the springs on it were very close to those of and AR-15. So, I decided to take it apart and see how close they were. It was very close if one were to cut the trigger spring for an AR. Well to make a long story short I ended up cutting the sprig and made a few minor bends to it and put it back together. I hooked up the other tiny spring for the sear and have it a try just dry firing it. I don't have an actual gauge, however it seemed to make it around 5# or so. I probably won't get out to the range till next week to give it a try. I am not sure on how reliable the it will be swapping the springs, but I plan on putting a few hundred rounds through it next week to see. I will also take the old spring with me just in case.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 11:49:03 AM by Pistolpete » Logged

Chuck Norris? Never heard of her.
pretorian
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 10:44:49 PM »

Are you talking about the hammer spring?

"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward."
Pistolpete

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 10:51:53 PM »

It's a single wound spring on the side. The one for where the linkage pushes on the lever. I tried to find the exact spring and part in the manual, however it wasn't as detailed as I thought it was gonna be. I can take a few pictures tomorrow.

Gear Head
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 11:07:55 PM »

Sounds like the sear spring. It is a pretty heavy spring. Hope it still resets for you.

The second Amendment is the last line of defense for the 1st.
Slateman

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 11:45:01 PM »

Need tests and picturss of EXACTLY what you did please
pretorian
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2013, 11:52:45 PM »

Sounds like the sear spring. It is a pretty heavy spring. Hope it still resets for you.
Yep, sear spring...

"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward."
Pistolpete

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2013, 01:53:41 AM »

I will test it out next week. I did hook the other spring back up to help assist with the resetting. I'm not claiming that this is gonna work whatsoever. I'm just putting it out there that this is what I found and I will post results as soon as I can. If it doesn't work, I will replace everything as it was from the factory. I put some pictures up later today.

Gear Head
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2013, 08:39:49 AM »

Well I'm sure I'm not the only one curious to see the results.  Popcorn

Dale Gribble

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2013, 09:12:59 AM »

Mine have a lighter trigger pull now.  I relieved some tension from the sear spring my pushing it down with a flathead screwdriver a few times.  It protrudes a little bit, enough for the screwdriver to catch.  I did not remove the extra sear spring.  Here's a pic from MAC's video where he's pointing to it.  Thanks MAC!!

Pistolpete

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2013, 09:30:23 AM »

Well I still need to measure with a gauge to see what the median poundage is. Right now I'm estimating its around 5# or so. Definitely quite a bit lighter then before. The secondary sear spring is still attached as well. So with that being attached the sear mechanism is sitting in the same position as prior to swapping the springs around. I might get a few shots off tomorrow when everyone is setting off fireworks just to give it a try before I head to the range.

Rahatto

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2013, 08:35:23 AM »

Whats the update on this?

Richard Hatto TSgt USAF retired
If you are always looking at the big picture, you are never
concentrating on the front sight post.
The well of stupidity has no bottom.
Pistolpete

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2013, 11:05:49 PM »

Sorry guys, I work night and have been working 12 hour days so time is limited. I have the next couple days off so I'll snapso e pictures and I'll be headed out to the range on Tuesday or Wednesday. I'm gonna stop and pick up a trigger gauge to get the poundage measured.

Decadron

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2013, 12:19:31 AM »

Has anyone noticed the trigger easing up after a bunch of dry fire drills or large amounts of firing in general? I should have mine Monday or Tuesday and my wife goes out of town on a long weekend, so after I sight mine in I'll be doing a lot of dry firing over the next few days because I'm too cheap to use my ammo until 5.56 becomes more readily available again. And I'm not allowed to do dry fire drills in the house while she's home........... I don't have the gall to do a trigger modification on a bullpup, mostly because I'm very unfamiliar with the mechanism. The Tavor is my first bullpup.
Pistolpete

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2013, 11:48:15 AM »

First photo is a regular AR15 trigger spring. if you cut the middle section out you will then have two pieces that are very close to looking like the sear spring on the Tavor.Uploaded with ImageShack.com
Second picture shows the AR15 trigger spring, then what it looks like after it has been cut in two and straightened a little. Then the final result (second to the right) next to the original Tavor sear spring.Uploaded with ImageShack.com
Last but not least is the it installed in the trigger pack. its hard to get a decent picture with a phone but i tried the best I can. Uploaded with ImageShack.com
The AR15 trigger spring is a bit shorter on one of the legs, however, it still fits in the trigger pack and has tension on it. Thats all I have at this moment.

bbies1973

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2013, 05:57:04 PM »

You probably shouldn't have posted what you did until you had actually test fired it. I pitty the poor fellow that reads this and goes on a spring swap spree, then ends up with slam fires or failures do to springs that are too weak to be reliable and/or safe.

Don't get me wrong, I really like the ingenuity and thought processes you are using. I just hate for someone to not get the disclaimer that this could possibly give them an unsafe weapon, and get themselves hurt because they also aren't thorough enough to test it safely.

P.S. Have you at least performed a good old fashioned function check on it?
Gear Head
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2013, 10:10:07 PM »

I agree with testing it. That is why I keep following this thread. I really do like the idea and your creativity though.

Remember, removing the extra spring drops the trigger pull about 2#'s. It works fine in my gun and many others' but some people have experienced problems. The sear spring you are changing performs the same function so, theoretically at least, making it too light will cause the same problems.

Much of those problems can be overcome by polishing the contact surfaces and setting good engagement angles so the sear can reset with minimal resistance I believe.

I'm still watching for the range report!

PZC

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2013, 11:35:45 PM »

Pistolpete is right.  I made a sear spring from an AR-15 trigger spring just like Pistolpete's photo.  I also changed the disconnector spring with a lighter one from my spare AR parts (couldn't remember what spring it was).  Without replacing a lighter disconnector spring, the trigger wouldn't reset. 

The end results is a good 2-stage (feels like) 5.5 lbs trigger measured by a trigger pull scale! Dry firing doesn't have any problems.  I'll report back after live firing it. 

This is my first post here.  I have been reading this forum for a while.  I shot my Tavor only twice: first 60 rounds with the original trigger; second 60 round (20rds of M195, 20rds of federal hollow point 55gr, and 20rds of PMC 55gr FMJ) after removal of the extra sear spring.  No malfunction noticed. 

Here is my Tavor:

Paul
charliegotnolove

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2013, 01:17:33 AM »

this thread scares me...
Rahatto

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2013, 01:38:00 AM »

Awesome it does need some hardcore testing thou. Popcorn

Richard Hatto TSgt USAF retired
If you are always looking at the big picture, you are never
concentrating on the front sight post.
The well of stupidity has no bottom.
Pistolpete

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2013, 04:04:01 AM »

You probably shouldn't have posted what you did until you had actually test fired it. I pitty the poor fellow that reads this and goes on a spring swap spree, then ends up with slam fires or failures do to springs that are too weak to be reliable and/or safe.
If you would have read the entire thread on post #6 I do say that I am not making any claims that it is going to work and so on. I was never able to get out to the range due to the weather last week. I really wish I could get this tested out as soon as I can. Unfortunately I can't stop time in order to make time for the range. Thank you PZC, I'm sure you will probably be able to test it before I do.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 06:57:50 AM by Pistolpete » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length