Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 22, 2014, 05:17:06 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News: The 3rd Annual  BULLPUP CONVENTION                                              27 - 28 September, 2014                               Rockcastle Shooting Center, Park City, KY                              Saturday Manufacturers Showcase and Live Shoot                                Sunday The Bullpup Challenge                              See you there!!                

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
Brownells . . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . . . . . . . FFL123.com . . . carhartt . . . K & M Arms
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  IWI Tavor
| | |-+  OAL for handloading the Tavor
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: OAL for handloading the Tavor  (Read 1659 times)
Rahatto

« on: June 22, 2013, 07:04:13 PM »

BLUF: Does anyone use OAL on the Tavor for reloading and if so what problems have you found?
  I'm going to get into reloading and I watch a ton of info available as I'm a visual learner.
One of the many things I've seen is OAL custom fitting to your rifle if done currectly will
increase accuracy.  Now I've got a few explanations on this I really like how this one simplies
things that are unknown to me. 
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=llvsEsaK8-M

Richard Hatto TSgt USAF retired
If you are always looking at the big picture, you are never
concentrating on the front sight post.
The well of stupidity has no bottom.
Dred

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2013, 09:14:27 PM »

You will need an OAL Guage (either straight or curved will work on the Tavor since we have access through buttstock or ejection port) and a 223 modified case which threads to the OAL Guage.  Slip your desired projectile into the modified case.

Fit the Tool into the chamber and you will be able to get a precise measurement to the lands. This measurement tells you the OAL which will locate the projectile in the optimum position for accuracy.  You'll want to back off a small amount to avoid jamming rounds into the lands (.002").

I have not measured mine yet, but as I scored some 75 grain projectiles today - I will be doing the procedure soon. I will endeavor to capture it on video.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 11:09:52 AM by Dred » Logged
bbies1973

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2013, 10:52:34 PM »

Don't forget to test a small batch of them in ALL of your magazines before cranking them out in large lots. Fitting it to the chamber is great for precision bolt rifles, but you don't want to get to the point of creating feed problems in your semi-auto.
Rahatto

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2013, 04:00:11 PM »

Dred please post a link here when you do as I would like to see how you accomplish it on the Tavor.

Dred

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2013, 11:50:15 AM »

Dred please post a link here when you do as I would like to see how you accomplish it on the Tavor.

Will do - got some 70 grain Barnes and some 75 grain TMJs so I will try to clear a space this evening.

Edit:  Will now be a couple days - started my move this morning.  Spent the evening trying to get the cylinder on my 45 LC unlocked so I can pack it safely. It didn't like the factory HD loads I tried at the range last week and I was Tavor hunting instead of attending to handgun maintenance all week.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 12:07:00 PM by Dred » Logged
556x45

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2013, 01:19:28 PM »

Isnt COL really about what fits well in the magazine rather than the chamber in this instance?
Rahatto

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2013, 01:57:17 PM »

For bolt guns it's about getting the round 2 twat hairs from the lands in the barrel.
For magazine feeders it's as close to the lands while still functioning in the magazine.
This is all learned but not applied knowledge on my part from others lessons. 

556x45

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2013, 02:56:42 PM »

Right, COL really only makes sense to me in regard to a bolt gun. For mag feds I would stay w/i lengths that feed reliably and load easily.
Dred

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2013, 03:08:31 PM »

Yes and yes. Last step after finding the chambers ideal OAL is to confirm feeding performance. There are actually three steps involved in confirmation 1 - fits and feeds in magazine, 2 - hand cycles from the magazine and 3 - cycles real time.
pretorian
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2013, 03:43:43 PM »

What is OAL?And COL?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 03:45:14 PM by pretorian » Logged

"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward."
Gear Head
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2013, 04:28:45 PM »

What is OAL?And COL?

Over all length
Cartridge overall length

Basically the same thing. But when loading for a bolt action many times the OAL is ignored to get an ideal bullet to land spacing or contact. That would mean the different shaped bullets can have different COL even though the bullets could be the same lengths. It's there the ogive of the bullet hits the lands of the rifling.

With a magazine fed gun however the OAL is important for feeding. You can't be too long or you will have problems.

When developing a load for a precision bolt gun I use an unsized fired case, stick a bullet into it so it stays, then chamber it. The lands of the rifling will push the bullet back into the case. Carefully extract the test case and measure your OAL. Then I work from there for what the gun likes best. They have gauges that can measure that but that is the poor man's way.  Wink

The second Amendment is the last line of defense for the 1st.
pretorian
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2013, 05:37:30 AM »

Thank You.
Very good info.
I wish we could handload/reload in Israel.

"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward."
Gear Head
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2013, 08:22:27 AM »

Thank You.
Very good info.

Why can't you?

The second Amendment is the last line of defense for the 1st.
HybridKid

Molon Labe!!

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2013, 10:56:42 AM »

Worried about the availability of IED components in bulk? 

Thanks and Be Safe.
556x45

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2013, 11:55:18 AM »

One other point that occurs to me after rereading the original posting...you should count on FL resizing your brass vs neck sizing or just bumping the shoulder back. Range/blasting ammo isnt so critical but for anything else it should FL sized.
pretorian
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2013, 01:32:33 PM »

Thank You.
Very good info.

Why can't you?

It is against the law to reload/handload ammunition for civilians.
You can not posses reloading equipment and components without getting a ammunition manufacturer license.

556x45

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2013, 01:56:31 PM »

So its not completely out of reach...you just need a license. Is that easy or impossible to get? While, in the US, theres no law prohibiting individuals from reloading for their own consumption a license is needed to resell. How about civilian gun ownership...I thought that was a big jump too in Israel.
Rahatto

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2013, 07:06:53 AM »

Dred have you been able to video the process?

joel

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2013, 02:34:12 PM »

I'm going to be trying out some 77gr sierra bullets I got... I have more than I know what to do with, really. Also, has anyone tried 80gr .22 bullets? I heard someone say they are challenging to load, but never got to the details of why.

Anyways, accuracy with 55gr is miserable imho. I'm hoping to post my results from the range here in a few more days, but still need to see if the local range will mind me setting up my chrono to get velocity info.

Is it against policy on this site to post loading data? (I'll obviously put down disclaimers)

ALSO NOTE!

I'd humbly ask that the OP edit their 1st post above to let everyone know that handloading voids warrantee!
Dred

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2013, 09:49:09 PM »

Dred have you been able to video the process?

Actually, I haven't. It is a fruitless exercise for the Tavor - as Gearhead and others already knew. When loading up my mags with the Match 77 gr 556 I tested, it was painfully clear that they are loaded to the magazine limit. Longer loads won't work, so the exercise has little practical payout.

That said, I will be trying the experiment. If the mag thickness will get me on the rifling, I will try developing a single-shot/last round loaded load since the last round loaded into the mag get's a wee bit more breathing room.  I also need to find and try my steel mags.

When I finish getting my stuff moved, I will be able to pick up the project. But I do know I'll primarily be loading to "just" fit & cycle in the mag. This single shot load might be fun, but it is not a practical exercise. It won't ever be appropriate for anything but an extremely careful mag insertion - the sorta insertion that's just not going to happen if I couldn't stop a threat with 30 projectiles.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length